Globalwin PSU and AMD Atlhon mobos Q?

Old February 3rd 04, 11:09 PM
Darth Joules

Default Globalwin PSU and AMD Atlhon mobos Q?

Looking on the Globalwin website they're PSU are aimed at Pentium 4
users.

But their PSUs can be used with AMD Athlon XP mobos? AMD mobos are 20
pin connection from the PSU right?

Cheers,

Darth Joules
Old February 4th 04, 09:33 PM
Darth Joules

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:32:59 GMT, kony wrote:

However, Globalwin isn't known to make good power supplies, you may
find that they fudge a bit on capacity, and if your motherboard uses
5V for CPU power (as evidenced by lack of a 4-pin ATX12V connector),
insufficient 5V rail capacity could be an issue.

I've heard that Globalwin PSUs are actually pretty good these days.
I'm using a Chaintech 7NJS Ultra Zenith mobo, but I'm not sure which
power rail the CPU will use....

Recalling your previous post about power suppiles, you'd really be
better off buying a good name-brand from a reputable manufacturer, not
a relabel of questionable quality. The airflow issues aren't
significant, plenty of people have systems with PSU using lower intake
fans, with no problem. Actually it's more likely you'll have a hotter
running CPU and motherboard using a power supply without the lower air
intake, whether it be a fan or just an open grillwork.

My main problem is lack of space in my midi tower (Lian-Li PC60) and a
rather chunky Swiftech heatsink. Because the CPU socket is very close
to the top edge of the mobo, the Swiftech heatsink will partially
block the lower intaker fan of any such PSU with one (and the edges of
the heatsink will almost touch it). It's a bit crowded at that end
of the mobo, especially since tyhe power connector is between the CPU
socket and the rear of the mobo. Hence my choice for a Globalwin PSU.

I have heard that Enermax PSUs shroud the mobo power connector in
plastic sleeving making it difficult to bend. Is this true?

Darth Joules

Old February 4th 04, 09:59 PM
kony

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:33:31 GMT, le (Darth
Joules) wrote:

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:32:59 GMT, kony wrote:

However, Globalwin isn't known to make good power supplies, you may
find that they fudge a bit on capacity, and if your motherboard uses
5V for CPU power (as evidenced by lack of a 4-pin ATX12V connector),
insufficient 5V rail capacity could be an issue.

I've heard that Globalwin PSUs are actually pretty good these days.

Nope, the're still mid-range units that're priced too high. There's a
difference between "pretty", the WOW factor, and the components...
they're not built up to their rated capacity. If you buy their 550W,
you're getting about what the better name-brands would spec as 380W.

I'm using a Chaintech 7NJS Ultra Zenith mobo, but I'm not sure which
power rail the CPU will use....

It uses 5V rail for CPU.

My main problem is lack of space in my midi tower (Lian-Li PC60) and a
rather chunky Swiftech heatsink. Because the CPU socket is very close
to the top edge of the mobo, the Swiftech heatsink will partially
block the lower intaker fan of any such PSU with one (and the edges of
the heatsink will almost touch it). It's a bit crowded at that end
of the mobo, especially since tyhe power connector is between the CPU
socket and the rear of the mobo. Hence my choice for a Globalwin PSU.

Well I'll write it again, but you're welcome to ignore it if you like:
That's exactly why you want a power supply with a lower air intake,
BECAUSE the heatsink is close... choosing a power supply without that
lower intake is an inferior solution.

I have heard that Enermax PSUs shroud the mobo power connector in
plastic sleeving making it difficult to bend. Is this true?

How much did you plan on bending it? They aren't THAT stiff... you
plug it in, use a plastic wire-tie to secure it, and forget about it.

Still, Enermax is another brand that overrates their capacity, is not
a brand I'd recommend either unless you keep that in mind and buy a
larger labeled capacity and want to spend the extra $ on the eye
candy. If you want the eye candy then all that really matters is if
the actual capacity is = that needed by the system.