New System - Want Feedback

Old February 5th 04, 04:42 PM
Andy Littlefield

Default New System - Want Feedback

I am getting ready to buy a new system and this is what I have picked
out, any feedback on it and possible alterations would be appreciated:

Case: Antec Performance 1 P-160 with window
PSU: Antec True Blue 480
CPU: AMD Athlon64 FX-51
Motherboard: ASUS SK8V
Memory: Corsair TwinX ECC Registered 1 GB
Hard Drives: 2 Western Digital 74GB Raptors
Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech Cordless MX Combo
(MX700 Mouse, Elite KB)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro 256Mb
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
DVD Drive: LG GCC-4520BB Combo DVD/CDRW Drive
CD Drive: LG GCR-8523 52x CD
Floppy: Teac
OS: Win XP Pro

I am planning on keeping my existing monitor for now.
I am also thinking about keeping my Audigy 1 Platinum for the present

Thanks Andy
Old February 5th 04, 04:54 PM
Aaron

Andy Littlefield wrote:

I am getting ready to buy a new system and this is what I have picked
out, any feedback on it and possible alterations would be appreciated:

Case: Antec Performance 1 P-160 with window
PSU: Antec True Blue 480
CPU: AMD Athlon64 FX-51
Motherboard: ASUS SK8V
Memory: Corsair TwinX ECC Registered 1 GB
Hard Drives: 2 Western Digital 74GB Raptors
Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech Cordless MX Combo
(MX700 Mouse, Elite KB)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro 256Mb
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
DVD Drive: LG GCC-4520BB Combo DVD/CDRW Drive
CD Drive: LG GCR-8523 52x CD
Floppy: Teac
OS: Win XP Pro

I am planning on keeping my existing monitor for now.
I am also thinking about keeping my Audigy 1 Platinum for the present

Thanks Andy

wow, quite a system. why no dvd burner? if your spending all that you
might as well have one of those in there. also you might want to
consider having another raptor as your primary boot, and the other 2 in
raid 1 for data protection. that is, if you have alot of data that you
feel is critical and need more than just on a cdr or dvdr.

Aaron

Old February 5th 04, 04:54 PM
jeffc

"Andy Littlefield" wrote in message
om...
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
I am also thinking about keeping my Audigy 1 Platinum for the present

Yeah, I just don't see the advantages to the latest and greatest sound cards
(like I do for video cards). Unless you're doing some multimedia doodling
with a feature that you specifically want in the ZS, I think I'd pass.

Old February 5th 04, 05:10 PM
Dave C.

wow, quite a system. why no dvd burner?

Actually, I was wondering what the CD-Rom drive was doing in that mix.
CD-Rom drives are almost as useless as floppy drives, now. IMHO I don't
know whether the OP needs a dvd burner, but why buy a CD-Rom drive when a
DVD-Rom drive is the same price and just as fast for reading CDs? -Dave

Old February 5th 04, 05:25 PM
Aaron

Dave C. wrote:

wow, quite a system. why no dvd burner?

Actually, I was wondering what the CD-Rom drive was doing in that mix.
CD-Rom drives are almost as useless as floppy drives, now. IMHO I don't
know whether the OP needs a dvd burner, but why buy a CD-Rom drive when a
DVD-Rom drive is the same price and just as fast for reading CDs? -Dave

umph, point taken. didn't think of it that way, I was just thinking of
having it as a way to copy from cd-cd on the fly, but I forgot that if
he ended up putting in a dvd burner, it'd make more sense to have a
dvd-rom.

Old February 5th 04, 05:27 PM

Get the sound card, its much better than anyonboard sound.

I've got that exact same sound card, what a difference it makes. The
drivers at first didn't work well with windows xp, but it seems like witht
the newer drivers i downloaded its working much better.

sounds like a nice pc
good luck
Old February 5th 04, 05:35 PM
jeffc

wrote in message
om...
Get the sound card, its much better than anyonboard sound.

I said what I said because he said he's already got an Audigy 1 Platinum.

Old February 5th 04, 09:52 PM
Aaron

Bob Adkins wrote:

Unless you are going to do some heavy-duty network serving, 1gb of RAM is
mostly wasted. I have ran 1gb and compared with 512mb on my high end apps,
and I swear I could not tell the difference. Un zipping large files did not
improve, running PhotoShop filters, no help. Get 2x256 sticks of good Cosair
and plug them into slot1 and slot 3 for dual channel implementation.

well, what if he is playing games? I know that I have 512megs(upgrading
to another 512 stick soon!) with battlefield 1942 that it hits the swap
file during the game, which does impact gaming somewhat, trust me!
otherwise, you are right if he's just surfing the net and word
processing and stuff. but considering he's getting an FX51, that doesn't
seem to be his goal.

Aaron

Old February 5th 04, 11:01 PM
Andy Littlefield

Aaron wrote in message ...
Dave C. wrote:

wow, quite a system. why no dvd burner?

Actually, I was wondering what the CD-Rom drive was doing in that mix.
CD-Rom drives are almost as useless as floppy drives, now. IMHO I don't
know whether the OP needs a dvd burner, but why buy a CD-Rom drive when a
DVD-Rom drive is the same price and just as fast for reading CDs? -Dave

umph, point taken. didn't think of it that way, I was just thinking of
having it as a way to copy from cd-cd on the fly, but I forgot that if
he ended up putting in a dvd burner, it'd make more sense to have a
dvd-rom.

I have an external Firewire DVD Burner at work so I was figuring to
just take it home when I wnated to burn something. Original reason
for the second cd was if I wanted to copy on the fly. Plus I figured I
would leave the CD burner for burning not simply playing discs. Now I
am thinking I will make the second drive a CD/DVD if I get one. How
much faster / better would an internal EIDE DVD writer be over the
external firewire one? IT guy at wokr prefers the external firewire
ones.
Old February 5th 04, 11:03 PM
Andy Littlefield

Aaron wrote in message ...
Andy Littlefield wrote:

[...]

I am planning on placing the two raptors in Raid 0. I am not that
worried about data protection. Anything important is backed up
regularly, so teh most I would lose owuld be some saved games.