A8V Blank Video After Load Bios Defaults

Old November 28th 04, 04:40 AM
Tom

Default A8V Blank Video After Load Bios Defaults

I'm trying to get my new A8V to Post. Here's what I have.

Asus A8V Rev 2
Bios 1009.003 Beta
Athlon 64 3000+ 90nm
2x512 Corsair Value Select
Asus 9600 XT
2xSeagate 80gig non raid

Here's the steps:

1) Bios flash using the Bios flasher (alt+F2)
2) Clear the CMOS, reboot
3) Message says CMOS Checksum Bad, Date/Time Not Set
4) Enter Bios change nothing, save, and reboot
5) CMOS error gone
6) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
7) Boots normally
8) Enter BIOS and load defaults (or load from F2 prompt), save, and reboot
9) Boots normally
10) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
11) Boots but no Video or does not boot. Monitor indicates activity but
blank

The 1008 Bios did the same thing. Is it OK to not load the defaults? Is
this normal for an Asus board?

Tom

Old November 28th 04, 02:12 PM
Tom

Antec True380s. It's the one that comes in the Antec Sonota case. If I
only have the chip, memory, floppy drive, and video card plugged in it
still gives the same result. The problem seems to revolve around loading
setup defaults.

Tom

Chris Catt wrote:

Hi, what PSU are you using?
Chris C

Old November 28th 04, 07:01 PM
Rainer Paul

Hi!

What you can do is:

to flash with only one Corsair-Ram and it must be in Dimm_B1

and before you clear the CMOS, you must remove the Lithium cell.

"Tom" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

I hope that it will help you

Rainer

Old November 28th 04, 08:52 PM
Tom

I think I have a lead on it. I went through all the Bios settings and
recorded them as they appear without loading the defaults then I loaded
the defaults and compared them. Here's the differences.

NoDefaults DefaultsLoaded
Bank Interleaving: AUTO DISABLED
Search for MDA Resources: YES NO
Graphics Aperture Size: 64MB 256MB
Parallel Port Address: DISABLED 378
AI Overclocking: AUTO AUTO (not the default in the
book)

I would guess that my card is having a hard time with the aperture size.
I do have the memory set up for dual channel. The bios reports it as
using dual channel.

What do you think?

Tom

Old November 28th 04, 09:15 PM
Chris Catt

Hi, I have the same board as you and it always booted when set to 64mbs, I
know have it set to 128. Switch bank interleaving to enabled and mda
resources to off. Not sure if it'll cure your problem. BTW, you have got
the 4 pin power supply lead plugged in?
Chris C

Old November 29th 04, 02:06 AM
Tom

Thanks Chris, Yes I do have the 4 pin power cable plugged in.

I think I have my answer. Don't load Default Bios Settings. They're bad.
At least for my setup. I sent the problem to Asus. Wonder if I'll hear
from them.

Tom

Old November 29th 04, 06:07 AM
Rainer Paul

What is the name of the BIOS? It should "A8V.ROM" by using ALT+F2.

"Tom" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Thanks Chris, Yes I do have the 4 pin power cable plugged in.

I think I have my answer. Don't load Default Bios Settings. They're
bad.

Now, you should try to recovery the BIOS like in the manual chapter
4.1 with only
AFUDOS.

Alert at bootup Katy Asus Motherboards 3 September 24th 04 01:43 PM
ASUS PC-DL bios disaster biomorphic Asus Motherboards 3 September 22nd 04 02:11 AM
A7N8X-boot problems and dead video card lefthandblack Asus Motherboards 4 August 25th 04 02:09 PM
PATA -> Serial ATA convertors - do they always work ? ZigZag Master Asus Motherboards 15 August 8th 04 01:32 PM
P4P800 BIOS Disaster!!!! Suggestions PLS!!! Ken Fox Asus Motherboards 19 January 10th 04 01:47 AM