P4C800 Deluxe and DVRexRT: which slot? help!

Old July 5th 03, 12:57 PM
Fogar

Default P4C800 Deluxe and DVRexRT: which slot? help!

Hi,
I'm building a new PC with P4C800 Deluxe motherboard and DVRex RT.
I went to Canopus Forum and I saw everyone use the slot 1 and 3 of the
motherboard for the RT and DVRex cards.
My technician tells me he cannot put the RT card in the slot 1 because
it stays too much next to the video card (there is the squanderer of
heat). He wants to put the RT card in the slot 4 and the M1 in the
slot 5 of the motherboard.
Will it be the same thing or will I have some problems?
Does anyone know if the fourth and fifth PCI slots share IRQ?
I cannot read the manual because I haven't ot.
thanks very much Fogar

Old July 5th 03, 01:55 PM
Fogar

I have downloaded the manual but me I am not a technician and I have
not understood. Then English isn't my mother language.
I'm sorry.

The manual can be downloaded. All you need is Acrobat free simple
program to view it.

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...d/overview.htm

Old July 5th 03, 02:01 PM
jdc1

You might want to ask here. It's an Asus forum that is very populated.
http://www.asusboards.com/
Go to the Intel Chipset forum of that site. Ask there and someone will
help.

jdc1

Old July 5th 03, 08:26 PM
Fogar

Hi,
does RT2500 consist of two cards or one?
Slot 1 is one and the other for RT?
thanks

I'm using Matrox RT2500 which has to be installed without any IRQ sharing.
Slot 5 is the one you go, assuming that you don't put anything in Slot 1.

Hope this helps.

.. .

Old July 6th 03, 06:28 AM
JxD

I think the IRQ sharing is as follow:

PCI 1 share with PCI 5
PCI 2 share with onboard LAN
PCI 3 share with USB2.0 + onboard SATA
PCI 4 share with onboard firewire.

Best to use PCI slot 3-4

I think it is dependent on the operating system you use. With windows XP,
you shouldn't have any problem with IRQ sharing. Also, if you are using
RAID, the performance may be affected.

Hope this help

JxD

Old July 6th 03, 08:35 AM
Fogar

I have two cards. M1 and RT.

One card only. Does DVRexRT come with 2 cards? What PCI peripherals do you
have?

"Fogar" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
does RT2500 consist of two cards or one?
Slot 1 is one and the other for RT?
thanks

I'm using Matrox RT2500 which has to be installed without any IRQ

sharing.
Slot 5 is the one you go, assuming that you don't put anything in Slot 1.

Hope this helps.

.. .

Old July 6th 03, 09:34 AM
Fogar

Therefore I can disable onboard LAN and to use the opened Slot 2 for
RT card. What other things can I disable for M1 card, please?
I have CD-Rom and CD-Recorder in my PC
tanks Fogar.

I think the IRQ sharing is as follow:

PCI 1 share with PCI 5
PCI 2 share with onboard LAN
PCI 3 share with USB2.0 + onboard SATA
PCI 4 share with onboard firewire.

Best to use PCI slot 3-4

I think it is dependent on the operating system you use. With windows XP,
you shouldn't have any problem with IRQ sharing. Also, if you are using
RAID, the performance may be affected.

Hope this help

JxD

.. .

Old July 6th 03, 09:56 AM
Godwin Ho

Try this: put the RT in Slot 5 and the M1 in Slot 4. Slot 4 is sharing with
the on board 1394 and should be able to share an IRQ with most devices
without conflict.

Hope this helps.

"Fogar" wrote in message
I have two cards. M1 and RT.

One card only. Does DVRexRT come with 2 cards? What PCI peripherals do

you
have?

"Fogar" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
does RT2500 consist of two cards or one?
Slot 1 is one and the other for RT?
thanks

I'm using Matrox RT2500 which has to be installed without any IRQ

sharing.
Slot 5 is the one you go, assuming that you don't put anything in Slot

1.

Hope this helps.

.. .

Old July 6th 03, 05:34 PM
Fogar

I'm sorry but I don't understand. What do you mean for "on-board
sound" and for "Just keep the other slots
clear"?
Have I not to put anything in the other slots?

If you are using the on-board sound, there's nothing to disable. Simply
putting the 2 cards in slot 4&5 should be fine. Just keep the other slots
clear.

Enjoy.

"Fogar" wrote in message
.. .
Ohhh, thanks very much for your advice.
But have I to disable anything in Slot 4 and Slot 5?
Thanks again

Try this: put the RT in Slot 5 and the M1 in Slot 4. Slot 4 is sharing

with
the on board 1394 and should be able to share an IRQ with most devices
without conflict.

Hope this helps.

"Fogar" wrote in message
.. .
I have two cards. M1 and RT.

One card only. Does DVRexRT come with 2 cards? What PCI peripherals

do
you
have?

"Fogar" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
does RT2500 consist of two cards or one?
Slot 1 is one and the other for RT?
thanks

I'm using Matrox RT2500 which has to be installed without any IRQ
sharing.
Slot 5 is the one you go, assuming that you don't put anything in

Slot
1.

Hope this helps.

.. .