5770 with quiet fan?

Old June 12th 10, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Foke

Default 5770 with quiet fan?

My first 5770 was a Sapphire

After only a month the fan starting getting too noisy. I replaced it with
an XFX

and although it seems to be a better quality card than the Sapphire, after
less than three months the fan is starting to get a bit noisy on it as
well. It's not horrible or anything, but if it's noticeably louder after
less than three months then I'm guessing it will only get worse.

Is there a retail 5770 with a quality fan, or do you have to resort to
aftermarket solutions if you want a quiet system?
Old June 12th 10, 05:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB[_2_]

"Foke" wrote in message
My first 5770 was a Sapphire

After only a month the fan starting getting too noisy. I replaced it with
an XFX

and although it seems to be a better quality card than the Sapphire, after
less than three months the fan is starting to get a bit noisy on it as
well. It's not horrible or anything, but if it's noticeably louder after
less than three months then I'm guessing it will only get worse.

Is there a retail 5770 with a quality fan, or do you have to resort to
aftermarket solutions if you want a quiet system?

My question would be "Why has the noise level changed?" Is it out of
balance, or is there dust/debris caught in it? Did you change the fan speed
control through your drivers, or maybe are using programs that stress the
card more than before? Figure out WHY it's louder, then base your decision
on that. If it was a cheap fan to begin with, then definitely switch it out
for a better, aftermarket solution. If it's something else causing it, then
address the specific cause.

Old June 13th 10, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Foke

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 12:26:13 -0400, "KCB" wrote:

"Foke" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

My guess is that ATI's partners are using cheap fans and the reason the
noise level has changed is because the bearings are going south.

Outside of the occasional game, I don't do much to stress the vid card.
The driver keeps it at 35% fan speed and I haven't changed that, except to
lower to 20% to verify that it's indeed the vid card fan that's making the
noise. I regularly inspect the inside of the case for dust buildup, so
it's not that, but even if I were not cleaning it regularly it shouldn't
have developed a noise-inducing whine after less than three months.

I just wish Nvidia would step up to the plate and get some decent,
competitive cards on the market. I've always used Nvidia products in the
past, but when I built my current system there just wasn't anything in the
midrange market to compete with ATI in terms of performance vs heat
production. And it's not just the evidently poor manufacturing quality
that disappoints... the drivers leave a lot to be desired as well.

[fw] ATI Radeon 4850 vs 5770 & 4850 vs 5850 Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) Homebuilt PC's 3 February 7th 10 09:58 PM
mouse enlarged ati 5770 HDI Homebuilt PC's 2 January 4th 10 07:24 PM
Radeon HD 5770 Rudolf Kemnitz Ati Videocards 4 November 20th 09 10:46 AM
Quiet Compfix Intel 2 April 6th 06 07:41 PM
Need drivers...Lexmark 5770...? glasnostJDC Printers 3 October 22nd 03 01:57 AM