Odds of 2 x 512meg DDR going bad?

Old February 23rd 05, 07:40 PM
Mike

Default Odds of 2 x 512meg DDR going bad?

Had a pal of mine here yesterday asking if he could test his memory in my
machine.

He has a Epox board with Via chipset a 8K9A2+ which has been working fine for
over 12months. Which had 3 sticks of 512meg DDR

2 x 3200 DDR matched sticks
1X 2700 DDR

Anyway a couple of days ago he noticed that only 1 512meg stick was showing on
the memory count. Apparently the 2 sticks of his 3200 memory appear not to be
working.
if he trys to boot with any 1 of those 2 sticks only inserted it gives a C1
memory error. He can boot as long as the one good stick is inserted, and of
course Memtest throws up loads of errors when checking the 2 other sticks.

I tried his memory 1 stick at a time in my MSI Neo2 Platinum board and it gave a
memory error on mine too and would not boot.

I find it very hard to believe that 2 sticks of memory would go down at the same
time. The machine works fine with the surviving remaining stick of memory.

My only thought is that the power supply caused the problem but why is the other
one okay, he has since changed the power supply just to be on the safe side.

What's your thoughts on this happening, personally I would have thought he had
more chance of winning the lottery than this occurring, he is not a happy bunny!

Mike
Old February 23rd 05, 11:37 PM
Ed Light

Maybe the one stick was more massively stronger :-)

Or maybe a line pulse somehow dissipated before it got the survivor.

I don't really know... hopefully an electronics engineer will answer.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old February 23rd 05, 11:37 PM
Ed Light

Maybe they were under warrantee. Many sticks have a lifetime warrantee.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\