Benchmarks?

Old January 9th 04, 09:18 AM
archagon

Default Benchmarks?

On my P42.8Ghz 512MB machine with a GeForceTi4200 I get 10500 marks
whereas most people get 15000-12000 marks.

1) Is perhaps some option disabled which shouldn't be?
2) If not, how can I improve performance?
3) I'm planning on upgrading to a Radeon 9800PRO soon, but I'm worried
that the benchmarks will be low. Is everything fine?
Old January 9th 04, 11:13 AM
dino

I had benchmarks of almost 13000 with mi Ti4200..then I installed XP and
went to everything being stock instead of OC'd...my benchmarks dropped to
11000 or so...you must remember..benchmarks are just a reference point..if
you build only to benchmark..what fun is that. I went from a the Ti4200 to a
( bad mistake) FX5600-256 ( fortunately it was defective) returned it and
now have a 9600XT. Am more than satisfied with this.No wonder Nvidia can't
keep up.Are you running 2 sticks of ram or 1. If you are running 1 -512..buy
another stick.I gained alot adding mem to mine and going to a gig.
Also what drivers are you using for the Ti? The older det work better than
the newer ones. Run at least 45.23 or older.

Old January 9th 04, 05:54 PM
archagon

"dino" wrote in message om...
I had benchmarks of almost 13000 with mi Ti4200..then I installed XP and
went to everything being stock instead of OC'd...my benchmarks dropped to
11000 or so...you must remember..benchmarks are just a reference point..if
you build only to benchmark..what fun is that. I went from a the Ti4200 to a
( bad mistake) FX5600-256 ( fortunately it was defective) returned it and
now have a 9600XT. Am more than satisfied with this.No wonder Nvidia can't
keep up.Are you running 2 sticks of ram or 1. If you are running 1 -512..buy
another stick.I gained alot adding mem to mine and going to a gig.
Also what drivers are you using for the Ti? The older det work better than
the newer ones. Run at least 45.23 or older.

Whoops. How did this get posted on this thread...

Anyways, thanks so much for the tips. I was just thinking about my RAM
(as Futuremark's Result Browser does not say how much is used) but I
wasn't sure whether it would boost my performance by too much. Also, I
checked benchmarks on WXP, so mine should have been higher. Could also
be the fact that I am not currently using thermal paste on my CPU...

Anyways, what I'm worried about is that Half-Life 2 will not run at
the 60-70fps that, according to benchmarks, a Radeon9800PRO should
give me. 3000 marks is still a lot.

How many marks did you gain after installing the 2nd stick of RAM?
Old January 9th 04, 10:15 PM
Sith Lord

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:18:16 -0400 in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "jeff" wrote:

I would expect that most of the posted marks are over clocking.

Most posted marks are probably machines that are set up to obtain the
highest marks and are unstable, they probably clock everything down
again to play games and lead a semi normal existance so the marks they
get don't actually reflect the machines they use to play games on.

Me, I use them to see any differences between drivers or to see what
effects any overclocking may have, only big differences are usually
meaningful as running a benchmark 3 times using the same config would
yield 3 different results anyway.

Old January 10th 04, 02:27 AM
archagon

Sith Lord bouncer@localhost wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:18:16 -0400 in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "jeff" wrote:

I would expect that most of the posted marks are over clocking.

Most posted marks are probably machines that are set up to obtain the
highest marks and are unstable, they probably clock everything down
again to play games and lead a semi normal existance so the marks they
get don't actually reflect the machines they use to play games on.

Me, I use them to see any differences between drivers or to see what
effects any overclocking may have, only big differences are usually
meaningful as running a benchmark 3 times using the same config would
yield 3 different results anyway.

In that case...what would be a good benchmark for my configuration
with 3DMark 2001 SE and PCMark 2003 (or 2, I don't recall)? And will I
be able to run half-life 2 (once i get a 9800 pro)??
Old January 10th 04, 12:45 PM
Sith Lord

On 9 Jan 2004 18:27:41 -0800 in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,
(archagon) wrote:

[...]

With your config you should be able to run anything out there ATM,
dunno what it takes for HL2.

Have a google for "FRAPS", it'll report your FPS in most games, again
FPS in a game is relative, 30 is great for FS2002, 15's not bad, you
want over 100 for something like Rally Championship Xtreme but then
eye candy and water effects are not too important there as you avoid
water and hopefully go too goddamn fast to take in the scenery.

Old January 16th 04, 05:57 PM
BF

I have found that benchmarks are good when comparing different cards
and drivers within the same machine. Comparing your results to someone
else's is a waste of time. Unless everyone is running the same default
settings you have no way of comparing.