Video card power supply?

Old January 6th 04, 08:58 PM
Jeff

Default Video card power supply?

About a month ago I tried upgrading my GF 4200 to a Radeon 9800, but went
back to the 4200 because the 9800 was slower running NASCAR 2003. I now
purchased a GF FX 5900 Ultra and I am experiencing the same thing. All
settings the same, at the start of a race my 4200 gives me 40fps and the
5900 ultra gives me 29 pfs. My question is, could my power supply be the
reason these cards are not performing well? The Radeon suggested a 300w and
the FX 5900 Ultra suggest a 350w ps. I am currently using a 300w ps. I do
not get any boot errors or reboots. I was just thinking the cards might not
be getting the power to push them. Anyone have any comments on this.
Thanks.

Jeff

Old January 7th 04, 12:55 AM
DaveW

300 Watt power supply is the MINIMUM needed, and that assumes that it is a
High Quality brand of power supply like Antec or such that really can
deliver that much power continuously (which most less expensive power
supplies cannot.)

--
DaveW

Old January 7th 04, 03:43 AM
Jeff

Yes, thanks for checking though. My motherboard is a k7n420 pro, thats the
NForce 1 motherboard. It's two years old. I just got back from Microcenter
and tried a 550w Antec power supply with no changes. It must be that the
motherboard is not compatable with the new powered cards. It will play
games with them but it's not getting all the power from the card. There is
no way in hades that a gf 4200 can outperform a fx 5900 or ati 9800. Oh
well back to the store with the 5900 and power supply. Maybe I'll upgrade
in a year or so. Thankls again.

Jeff

Old January 7th 04, 07:23 AM
Darthy

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:58:42 -0500, "Jeff"
wrote:

About a month ago I tried upgrading my GF 4200 to a Radeon 9800, but went
back to the 4200 because the 9800 was slower running NASCAR 2003. I now
purchased a GF FX 5900 Ultra and I am experiencing the same thing. All
settings the same, at the start of a race my 4200 gives me 40fps and the
5900 ultra gives me 29 pfs. My question is, could my power supply be the
reason these cards are not performing well? The Radeon suggested a 300w and
the FX 5900 Ultra suggest a 350w ps. I am currently using a 300w ps. I do
not get any boot errors or reboots. I was just thinking the cards might not
be getting the power to push them. Anyone have any comments on this.
Thanks.

Drivers? Slow computer?

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!