Preparing for upgrade GF3 Ti200 -> AIW 9800Pro?

Old December 11th 03, 12:31 AM
Paul Grunwald

Default Preparing for upgrade GF3 Ti200 -> AIW 9800Pro?

Hi all,

I'm coming over from the dark side by replacing my GF3 Ti 200 with an AIW
9800 Pro. Any suggestions on how to get a clean upgrade and what drivers
to use?

System:
P4 1.9Ghz
640 Meg Ram
SB Audigy
WinXP Pro

TIA,
P.
Old December 11th 03, 01:52 AM
Strontium

Upgrade your motherboard/processor/memory, first. If you go to an AIW 9800
pro, you will have wasted cash. The rest of your system is a major
bottleneck. Going to a P4 2.4C and PC3200 DDR, for me, made my GF3 Ti200
the bottleneck. But, it was no slouch! Wasn't even necessary to upgrade my
old Duron 950/PC100. But, it was noticable.

I think that card, in your box, will be a waste of cash. Do the
processor/motherboard and memory, first. You may find you don't even need
to upgrade the video. But, you don't mention your uses...so, that's
debatable.

-
Paul Grunwald stood up at show-n-tell, in

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old December 11th 03, 02:29 AM
John Hall

Actually depending on his motherboard he may be able to just upgrade the cpu
for now (relatively cheap) and get the new video card. A good compromise
would be a new cpu and a 9800 non pro.

JK

Old December 11th 03, 03:10 AM
Strontium

I'm not so sure. Adjusting the memory timings, on my memory, made a marked
difference. Let's not downplay the importance of memory/motherboard. In
fact, after upgrading to a 9800XT and P4 3.0C, my motherboard IS a
bottleneck at 865G chipset. But, like you said, depending on his
motherboard...

-
John Hall stood up at show-n-tell, in

Old December 11th 03, 05:31 AM
Paul Grunwald

Actually depending on his motherboard he may be able to just upgrade
the cpu for now (relatively cheap) and get the new video card. A
good compromise would be a new cpu and a 9800 non pro.

JK

Thanks for the input guys. I'm well aware that this card is worth more
than the rest of my system combined. What I have exactly is a DFI Intel
845, Socket 423-based board running with PC133 memory. I'm maxed on
processor speed at 1.95Ghz - it crashes with Nascar 2003 after 5 minutes
if I crank it up higher than that. I think that I'm currently memory
bound and not even processor bound hen it comes to frame rate on the GF#
Ti200. The board and proc. were only a $160 upgrade late last year from
a PIII 600Mhz/PC100 overclocked at 800/133.

I am planning an upgrade of the motherboard, proc, and memory soon -
perhaps before the end of the year. I'm trying to decide if I should try
and crank up a P4 2.4c or get a 3.0 - I'm an Intel man. Motherboard
selections are the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe or the ABit IC7-Max3. In either
board I will prob. use the Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184
Pin (512MBx2) DDR PC-3200C2PT or the Kingston HyperX (Dual Pack) 184 Pin
1GB DDR PC-3200 (512MBx2) memory. Case will be either the Antec P160 or
Sonata, cooler will be the Zalman 7000ALCu, PS will be either a Zalman or
Enermax, etc. I've built my last 4 computers so I basic know what I'm
doing - I've just been waiting for the next upgrade cycle.

This card was just a good deal so I bought it first. I got a good deal on
the AIW from Buy.com ($320 after rebate - techbargains.com rocks!) so I
went for it, it will be here on Friday.

What I'm looking for now is how to clean off the Detonators and install
the Catalysts cleanly and painlessly, and what version of the ATI drivers
I should use. Any help is appreciated!

TIA,
P.
Old December 11th 03, 05:50 AM
Judge

save your money and buy an nvidia card, when DX9 games finally show
up. The ATI stuff is still suffering from terrible drivers and
horrible support.
Old December 11th 03, 05:57 AM
matthew utt

judge is jealous
dont listen to him
ati is the best and we all know it
all of us that has sense at least

Old December 11th 03, 06:14 AM
Paul Grunwald

"matthew utt" wrote in news:%GTBb.117228
:

"Judge" wrote in message
save your money and buy an nvidia card, when DX9 games finally show
up. The ATI stuff is still suffering from terrible drivers and
horrible support.

Well....

Coke - Pepsi
Bud - Miller
Front - Rear
Top - Bottom
Older - Younger
Blonde - Brunett (redhead?)
Islam - Christanity (buddhism- ever hear of buddhist religious war? ...me
neither)
AMD - Intel
Windows - Linux
Gay - Straight
Republican - Democrat
Liberal - Conservative
Green - whatever

Did I forget any of the major ones?

Anyway, I already purchased, my choice is made for the near future. If
the card and drivers do indeed suck, look for it on eBay like many of my
other unsatisfactory purchases. Frankly, I'm experimenting now. I have
owned Nvidia based products since Voodoo went out of business but I got
tired of the driver treadmill.

I met some ATI guys out of Toronto when I worked on some Firewire
products for Phillips a couple of years ago and thought I would give the
AIW 9800 Pro a shot - they were a class act and I had a killer time at
their WinHEC party in New Orleans!

The AIW 9800Pro having component video out was the feature that sold me.
If this card doesn't suit me but it works resonalble well, it will go in
the home-theater PC in the living room after the Tivo hard drive dies
again... ATI - Please support good linux drivers for MythTV!

Anyway, I still have yet to have a straight answer to my orig. question.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

P.

Old December 11th 03, 06:21 AM
Strontium

-
, and said:

[...]

DriverCleaner. Do a Google. And, run Cab Cleaner, first.

Good luck!

TIA,
P.

Old December 11th 03, 06:47 AM
Strontium

Go away, troll.

Just cause you cannot learn to deal with your hardware....hahahahahaha

You ****ing idiot.

BLAH

BLAH

BLAH