HDD crash ?

Old April 8th 04, 07:30 PM
Charles

Default HDD crash ?

Hi guys,

I have a 3-year old 80GB HDD Maxtor. Until yesterday it was working
good, but then I couldn't access it, then I rebooted the PC, and on
reboot, the bios says "Slave primary error", and then the HDD (which
is a 2nd HDD for data) won't appear in the drives list. Won't I be
able to use it anymore? Will I loose all my work ? How can I retrieve
all my files ?
Thanks,

--

Charles.

Old April 8th 04, 09:26 PM
brushes

it's possible to get exactly those symptoms from a faulty IDE cable, try
swapping with your secondary cable first

polly

Old April 8th 04, 11:42 PM
DaveW

The way you retrieve your files with a PC is to keep a Backup copy of your
important data on a CD or DVD or external harddrive. After the drive fails
is too late to do anything about it.

--
DaveW

Old April 9th 04, 03:33 AM
Brad Palmer

You may be able to retrieve it - look up a local data recovery company -

expect to pay about $1,00 - $2,000 to pull data off.

Old April 10th 04, 10:02 PM
Eugene Solot

You should check the physical connection that is open up the case and see if
the ribbon cable is plugged in tightly and also the power connection to it.
You might even unplug these and replug them even if the connections does
seem tight. Also while the case is open see if it is spinning either a light
that goes on or by unplugging the other drive and listening to hear if it is
making a sound when you power up. If after checking the physical connections
you hear it spinning but it doesn't show up as a drive it indeed might be
shot. If that is the case there are services that will recover data for you
at a price and there are programs you can try that are purported to be able
to recover data.
"Charles" wrote in message
Hi guys,

I have a 3-year old 80GB HDD Maxtor. Until yesterday it was working
good, but then I couldn't access it, then I rebooted the PC, and on
reboot, the bios says "Slave primary error", and then the HDD (which
is a 2nd HDD for data) won't appear in the drives list. Won't I be
able to use it anymore? Will I loose all my work ? How can I retrieve
all my files ?
Thanks,

--

Charles.

COmputer crash Help !!! Pretorian Von Werm General 1 December 23rd 03 10:32 PM
Toshiba Laptop Crash Recovery Advice Andrew Johnston General 0 October 20th 03 05:40 AM
Hard Drive Crash Gerard Pauli General 1 October 19th 03 04:52 AM
Hard Drive Crash Question Joe Mamma General 0 August 25th 03 12:40 AM
Help - PIO Mode - and LBA - BIOS parameters tb General 6 July 30th 03 08:10 AM