Subject: Weird Story: Thunder clap destroys Toshiba Laptop poweradapter that was "half" connected ?!

Old August 12th 20, 06:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Holy mother ****ing **** of holy god, do I have a weird story for you:

1. So I was gaming/playing world of warships ranked, the laptop shuts down again for the third time.

(Probably cause overheat, again at ambient 30 degrees and cpu/gpu temperatures at 93 an 83 degrees celcius)

2. This time I decided it it was time to open the ****er up and see if there was any dust inside of the heatsink and fan, couldn't see it from the outside.

3. So I start unscrewing screws, decide it's time to watch a youtube video how to do it cause it got a bit complex, find basically same model so I start unscrewing futher and unplugging things etc.

4. I get to the point where I remove the fan and the heatsink/motherboard and indeed that was a carpet of dust and hair blocking airflow, so BINGO ! issue found.

5. I remove it and vague clean the heatsink, everything fine so far.

RAIN AND A THUNDERSTORM start happening ?! Second time when I try to clean a computer thunderstorm happens ?! I think ok no problem I am in appartment complex everything probably grounded... I am safe my PC is safe etc... did have a mysterious power supply failure back then after some months but ok.

6. Anyway I am putting everything back together. I deplugged the battery and I also deplugged the power cable to the laptop. However I LEFT the power adapter attached to the power box/wall socket so it was under power ?! BIG MISTAKE I THINK more about my hypothesis later.

!!!

7. SO I WAS ALMOST DONE with re-attaching everything and this FINAL BOOOOOOM/THUNDERCLAP happens really load. IT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE... first a flash ofcourse but it was quite for a while. I SUPRISED ME SO MUCH and it was so heavy I shouted: "HOLY MOTHER****ING ****".... My instinct told me immediately... this can't be good.

!!!

8. So I plug back the power adapter into the laptop, this was basically the only thing left I had to do and I start noticing this beeping...

I did not understand how to remove the power socket inside the motherboard I put my screw driver in there kinda stupid when I was disassembling it so I was worried maybe I bent a pin... but after re-opening the entire thing I dont really believe this was an issue I could be wrong though...

Anyway so I hear this beeping it's very quite at night 5 o'clock so I am thinking maybe it's because so quiet... but I start listening again and I am pretty sure I didnt notice that before.

It was very quiet beeping almost like coil-whine... very strange... I thought maybe it's charging the battery.

9. Anyway I turn on the laptop... it comes on... windows says windows wasn't shutdown properly which I found kinda weird but ok... so go into normal mode...
Everything works fine... I did forgot to connect ethernet cable.. anyway I plug it in... I start loading world of warships to put some load on the laptop.

The CPU temperature from recollecting only reach 73 degrees celcius or so and gpu only 63 degrees so a very big improvement in temperatures from cleaning this heatsink.

Then I go away as world of warships players are fighting, me washing my hands to clean off the metal smell.

10. And I hear this BEEP... a warning screen pops-up on the laptop: BATTERY POWER IS low...

I am thinking "hmmm that's odd". So I am thinking somehow it's not getting power properly.

11. I checked the power connector to the laptop... Perhaps it wasn't fully in... so finally I decided to shove it in more, but no improvement happens, the slight beeping of power adapter persists.

12. Finally the battery power runs out and the laptop more or less shuts down.

13. I re-open the entire laptop, disassembly it, check everything, everything seems fine... perhaps not pin in power socket of laptop I try and peel it a bit upwards to it connects to the power plug of adapter... but I don't think that really matters that much I could be wrong though...

14. I also check usb mouse plug it's a little bit moisty/wet from the ice nearby to cool me down... but I don't think it was much of a problem and I cleaned it just in case... though perhaps it was a bit wet on first try but I don't think so, maybe on second try but I dried it before.

SO NOW I AM INSANELY BAFFLED about the INSANE BAD LUCK the UNIVERSE IS GIVING ME ?!

THE VERY BIG QUESTION IS NOW, ASSUMING THAT THE LAPTOP ADAPTER HAS FAILED:

1. HOW IN THE HELL CAN A LAPTOP ADAPTER FAIL IF IT'S ONLY PLUGGED INTO THE POWER WALL SOCKET AND NOT INTO THE LAPTOP ?!

MY HYPOTHESIS IS: BECAUSE IT DID NOT MAKE A "FULL CIRCUIT" THE SLIGHT OR MAYBE BIG ELECTRICAL VOLTS/CURRENT FROM THE THUNDER CLAP/BOOM COULDN'T GO BACK AND SOMEHOW FRIED THE POWER ADAPTER ?!

NOW FOR ME THIS HYPOTHESIS IS VERY HARD TO BELIEVE BECAUSE EVERYTHING ELSE IS WORKING FINE ?! THE LAMP ON THE SAME WALL SOCKET WORKS FINE... I DIDN'T NOTICE ANY FLICKERING OF LIGHTS ?!?!?!?!?!? SO THIS THEORY/HYPOTHESIS ALMOST SEEMS INSANE ?!

2. SECOND HYPOTHESIS: THE POWER ADAPTER ALREADY FAILED AND WAS THE CAUSE OF THE THIRD POWER CUT TO THE LAPTOP.... SO I REGRET NOT IMMEDIATELY TESTING IT AND INSTEAD CLEANING THE LAPTOP, I SHOULD HAVE TESTED IT FIRST TO SEE IF THE POWER ADAPTER WAS STILL WORKING ?! NOW I'LL NEVER KNOW FOR SURE WHAT KILLED IT BUT MY SECOND HYPOTHESIS IS: THE OVERHEAT OF THE LAPTOP SOMEHOW KILLED THE POWER ADAPTER.

3. THIRD HYPOTHESIS: AFTER CLEANING THE LAPTOP, THE USB MOUSE PLUG WAS SLIGHTLY WET... AND SOMEHOW THIS CAUSED THE POWER ADAPTER TO FAIL ?! SEEMS A WEIRD HYPOTHESIS IT WOULD BE MORE LIKELY THE LAPTOP ITSELF WOULD DIE ?

4. FOURTH HYPOTHESIS: ME SHOWING THE SCREW DRIVER INTO THE POWER SOCKET OF THE LAPTOP SOMEHOW CAUSED DAMAGED, STUPID RUSSIAN VIDEO TUTORIAL DIDNT PROPERLY EXPLAIN HOW TO PULL IT OUT, IT WAS ACTUALLY QUITE SIMPLY, JUST PULL IT OUT ON THE CORD BUT I DIDNT KNOW... KINDA STUPID... THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART BUT WASNT EXPLAINED PROPERLY, **** **** ****... BUT STILL A SOMEWHAT UNLIKELY HYPOTHESIS BUT OK HERE IT IS:
ONLY THE + OR - WAS CONNECTED AND NOT THE OTHER - OR + SO THE CIRCUIT WASN'T FULL ? COULD THIS CAUSE A POWER ADAPTER TO FAIL ?????

5. FIVETH HYPOTHESIS: PERHAPS LEAVING THE POWER ADAPTER INTO THE POWER AND THROWING THE OTHER SIDE ONTO THE SLOPPY TABLE WITH STUFF ON IT SOMEHOW SHORT CIRCUITED THE POWER ADAPTER... PERHAPS THERE WAS SOME METAL LAYING AROUND THAT SHORT CIRCUITED IT... THERE IS A RULER LAYING ON THE TABLE BUT I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS CONDUCTIVE OR OF WHAT MATERIAL IT IS MADE OF, I DO HAVE A VOLT/MULTIMETER MAYBE I CAN TEST IT LATER... BUT THE POWER PLUG IS ROUND SORT OF... SO IT HAS TO TOUCH IN PARTICULAR WAY TO SHORT CIRCUIT ?!

DOES THIS EVEN MAKE SENSE ?! IS IT ACTUALLY POSSIBLY TO SHORT-CIRCUIT/DAMAGE A POWER ADAPTER, BY CONNECTING THE - TO THE + ?

IS THERE PERHAPS A THIRD HIDDEN CONNECTION MAYBE GROUND ?!? SEEMS UNLIKELY.... I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH LAPTOP POWER ADAPTERS BUT THEY ARE PROBABLY "FLOATING" AND ARE THEREFORE NOT GROUNDED, SO THERE IS ONLY A + AND A - ????!!!!????

THERE ARE SOME OTHER METAL OBJECTS ON THE TABLE, RINGS FROM A CANNON CAMERA BAG... MAYBE THE POWER PLUG OF LAPTOP SOMEHOW TOUCHED THAT AND CAUSED A SHORT CIRCUIT.... VERY STRANGE HYPOTHESIS.

6. SIXTH HYPOTHESIS, THIS IS THE SECOND TIME I SEE A POWER SUPPLY FAIL ON THIS PARTICULAR WALL SOCKET. THE OTHER ONE WAS ON A PENTIUM III, WHERE I REPLACED THE FAN BY CUTTING WIRES AND REATTACHING THEM I WAS A KID BACK THEN DIDNT KNOW BETTER THE PLASTIC TAPE AROUND IT MIGHT HAVE LED LOOSE SO I KINDA BELIEVED PERHAPS THAT SHORT CIRCUITED IT, BUT DEEP IN MY HEART I SUSPECT THERE IS SOMETHING WEIRD GOING ON WITH THIS WALL SOCKET, PERHAPS BADLY CONNECTED INTERNALLY BUT I HAVE A DIFFERENT HYPOTHESIS FOR THIS ONE.

I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT WITH A DRAWING. BUT FIRST I WILL DESCRIBE THE HYPOTHESIS...

SO ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE CHAMBER/LIVING ROOM ALL MY MAIN GEAR IS CONNECTED.
SO ON THE LEFT SIDE ONLY A LAMP AND LAPTOP IS CONNECTED.

SO THE ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT LOOKS AS FOLLOWS:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
TWO LEFT POWER SOCKET WALL TWO RIGHT POWER SOCKET
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

LEFT WALL SOCKET
O ------ POWER BOX OOOOO
------- LAPTOP
-------- LAMP
(SO LAPTOP CONNECTED TO LAST SLOT)
(SO LAMP CONNECTED TO SECOND LAST SLOT_

RIGHT WALL SOCKET
0 ----- POWER BOX OOO
------------- MONITOR (ON)
------------ DREAM PC 2006 (650 WATTS OR SO SEASONIC) (ON)
------------ DENON RECEIVER (700 WATT OR SO) (ON)
0 ----- POWER BOX 000
------------- UBEE CABLE MODEM (ON)
------------ BROTHER LASER PRINTER (OFF)
----------- POWER BOX OOO
-------- VENTILATOR (*)
------- ZIGGO SET TOP BOX (OFF)
------ CRT TELEVISION SCART (OFF)

* Ventilator:
(ON or OFF can't recall probably off to prevent blowing anything into laptop, though I did have it on the last few days to try and blow cool air into laptop from underneath)

So my hypothesis is that the right wall socket is drawing so much power that it is somehow causing power fluctuations in the left wall socket. I suspect these might be on the same power grid/circuit ?!?

Perhaps this is causing strain on power supplies ?!? Perhaps this causes fast wear and tear of PC/laptop power supplies ?!?

I noticed one more thing: I tried to plug in a power adapter of another laptop/older/german HP... when I plugged it into the left wall socket power box I saw a SPARK/flash coming out of it where I plugged it in. My hypothesis about that is this adapter came from a closest so was at a different potential from winter or so... but maybe I am wrong about that and this is a sign of trouble perhaps ?! The HP laptop adapter plug did not fit into the toshiba laptop so I can't use it, though ratings seem similiar ?!

NOW YOU MAY BE WONDERING WHY AM I TAKING THE TIME TO EXPLAIN THIS IN EXCRUCIATING DETAIL:

1. MAIN REASON: I INTEND TO BUILD A NEW DREAM PC SOMEWHERE IN 2020/2021/2022 THIS MEANS I WILL HAVE TO MOVE OVER THE DREAM PC TO THE LEFT POWER SOCKET.... IF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT IT BEFORE IT BLOWS UP SEASONIC POWER SUPPLY OF THE DREAM 2006.

2. SECOND REASON: I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO CONTINUE USING THE LAPTOP WITH BLOWING UP A SECOND LAPTOP POWER ADAPTER IF I CAN FIND ONE. Or perhaps other gear in the future ?!

ANYWAY I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU GUYS:

1. WHAT IS THE MOST LIKELY SCENERIO THAT OCCURED HERE BASED ON YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF LAPTOP ADAPTERS, SHORT-CIRCUITING CHANCE, OVERHEAT DAMAGE, WEAR AND TEAR FROM ELECTRICAL GRID, POTENTIAL DIFFERENCES ?!? AND FINALLY LIGHTNING STRIKES AND HALF-PLUGGED ADAPTERS ?!?!?!

THIS SITUATION IS PRETTY WEIRD, IF IT TRUELY WAS FROM A LIGHTNING STRIKE THEN THAT WOULD BE SOME INSANE BAD ****TY LUCK, NOTHING ELSE FRIED SO TOTALLY BAFFLED ABOUT THIS HYPOTHESIS, BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IS FULLY PLUGGED ?!?! WTF ?!

2. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS TO POWER THE LAPTOP ? A NEW POWER ADAPTER FOR TOSHIBA LAPTOPS ? DOCKING STATIONS ? RECHARGING BATTERY SOMEHOW ? MAYBE I CAN TEST LAPTOP OR POWER ADAPTER AT MEDIA MARKT ? MAYBE ELSEWHERE ? ORDER IT ONLINE ON INTERNET SOMEWHERE ?
(ASSUMING IT IS THE POWER ADAPTER AT FAULT, TO ME IT SEEMS MOST LIKELY)

3. ONE MORE QUESTION THOUGH: WHY WOULD A DEAD/FAULTY POWER ADAPTER START SQUEEKING BEEPING IN QUICK INTERVALS I think about 10 beeps per second or so ?
Coil whine perhaps ??? a future to warn that it's faulty ? Freaky strange luck ?
IT ONLY SQUEEKS/BEEPS WHEN CONNECTED TO THE LAPTOP, SO COULD THIS SOMEHOW INDICATE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE LAPTOP POWER SOCKET ? DID I SOMEHOW DAMAGE/SCREW IT UP SOMEHOW, DOESN'T SEEM LIKE IT ? MAYBE THE TOUCH PIN NOT MAKING CONTACT ? NOT THE PIN THAT GOES INTO IT IN THE MIDDLE, BUT THE ONE THAT TOUCHES IT ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE RING/CYLINDER OF POWER PLUG, THAT ONE MIGHT BE BENT INWARDS A BIT ? COULD THIS BE CAUSING IT ?

WELL SO FAR A VERY STRANGE STORY AND RESULT:

SO FAR I AM QUITE PROUD AT MYSELF FOR NOT DAMAGING ANYTHING INSIDE OF THE LAPTOP EXCEPT MAYBE THIS POWER PLUG, THOUGH THAT SEEMS SOMEWHAT UNLIKELY.

1. I DID HOWEVER WRECK THREE SCREWS NEAR THE BATTERY, THEY WERE SHORT ONES.... I COULD NOT GET THEM OUT CAUSE OF STUPID GRIP, THX TOSHIBA AND **** YOU WITH THESE STUPID SCREWS... FORTUNATELY THEY SHORT SO I POPPED THEM OUT, KINDA SMART THOUGH AT LEAST NOW I COULD CLEAN THE HEATSINK WHICH WAS BADLY NEEDED..

2. **** YOU TOSHIBA FOR NOT MAKING IT EASIER TO GET THIS HEATSINK AND FAN OUT, ****ING CRAZY. HAVE TO DETACH MOTHERBOARD/KEYBOARD AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER THINGS, HARDDISK, BLUERAY DRIVE, ALL KINDS OF CONNECTORS.

3. I DID DAMAGE A FOURTH SCREW A LITTLE ONE THE PLASTIC PROBABLY GAVE AWAY.

4. GETTING TINY LITTLE SCREW INTO FAN HOLE WAS ALSO KINDA DIFFICULT TO DO ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE BUT WITH MAGNETIC SCREW DRIVER IT WAS POSSIBLY THANK GOD.

5. THERE WAS ANOTHER INCIDENT WHERE I LOST ONE OF THE SCREWS WHICH WAS VERY WEIRD I COULDN'T FIND IT, TURNED OUT IT WAS STUCK ABOVE THE DISPLAY/SCREEN OF THE LAPTOP, THERE IS A MAGNET UP TOP THAT KEEPS THE LAPTOP SHUT. THIS SCREW WAS ATTACHED TO THE MAGNET, THANK GOD I SAW IT... THE SCREW IS BLACK AND THE DISPLAY IS BLACK VERY HARD TO SEE... THIS SCREW IF IT WOULD MOVE AROUND WHILE CLOSED COULD HAVE SCRATCH THE ENTIRE DISPLAY BADLY... THANK GOD I DIDNT SCRATCH THE DISPLAY WHILE WORKING ON IT DIDNT REALLY THINK ABOUT IT THAT MUCH DIDNT REALLY CARE THAT MUCH UNTIL LATER OFCOURSE ONCE YOU START SEEING SCRATCHES BUT SO FAR SO GOOD.

6. I DID NOTICE A LITTLE SCRATCH ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE LAPTOP TOP... THAT S WHEN I GOT SOME FLAT CARDBOARD.

SO LONG STORY SHORT:

IT WENT EXACTLY AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD, WELL SORT OF, I HAD THIS FEELING SOMETHING WOULD BREAK AND THE LAPTOP WOULD STOP WORKING AND SURE ENOUGH ALMOST LIKE CLOCK-WORK/PLANNED OBSOLENCE.. THE LAPTOP IS NOW IN A GOD DAMN UNUSUABLE STATE. SO **** LAPTOPS FOR NOW UNTIL I CAN GET A REPLACEMENT ADAPTER WHICH IS BRAND AND MODEL SPECIFIC POSSIBLE WHICH COULD COMPLICATE MATTERS MUCH.

I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW ****ING EASY IT WAS TO SOMEHOW **** THIS UP AGAIN.

HOWEVER I AM NOT SURE IF I AM TO BLAME, OVERHEAT TO BLAME OR THUNDER TO BLAME OR WALL/POWER SOCKET, ETC IT'S A MYSTERY FOR NOW.

PERHAPS I SAVED THE LAPTOP FROM FURTHER DEATH DUE TO HEAT AND OVERHEATING, I AM SURPRISED THE PCB WASN'T FRIED AS FAR AS I CAN TELL. I DID NOTICE SOME BLACKNESS ON THE COPPER.

7. I HAVE A TIP FOR YOU, CUT TOILET ROLLS IN HALF AND USE THEM AS STANDS, REINFORCE THEM BY HAVING TWO WRAPPED INTO ONE AND USE STAPLES TO REINFORCE IT, KINDA CHEAP AND KINDA GROSS SOLUTION, UNBELIEVEABLE THAT LAPTOPS DON'T COME WITH FOLDING FEET TO LIFT THEM OF THE TABLE FOR BETTER AIRFLOW AND MUCH LESS DUST AND HAIR INTAKE AT LEAST SO I PRESSUME, PRETTY SURE ABOUT THAT.

8. MY ESTIMATION IS THAT THIS SUPER TINY HEATSINK WILL BE FULL WITH DUST WITHIN 3 TO 6 MONTHS WHICH IS UNBELIEVABLE, SO ONCE AGAIN **** LAPTOPS AND THE STUPID ****ERS THAT DESIGN THEM, THESE ****ING THINGS ARE DESIGNED FOR OVERHEAT AND ****ING FAIL. YET FOR NOW I LIKE TO CONTINUE TO GAME ON THEM/IT UNTIL DREAMPC 2020/2021/2022, WHENEVER I CAN BUY A MOTHERBOARD FOR PC THAT SUPPORTS 1 TERRABYTE OF RAM AND MAYBE PCI EXPRESS 5.0 FOR NICE FAST BANDWIDTH AND CONSISTENT PERFORMANCE OF A THREADRIPPER CHIP WITH AT LEAST 4.0 OR 3..8 GHz BASE CLOCK.

For now fortutanely I can continue to game/play World of Warships on my DreamPC from 2006 with GT 1030 from 2019 or so... It will be a bit laggy and I will have to tune down the ultra audio and give up on hdmi but I can continue battling the ranked season.

Wargaming should EXTEND the ranked season 17 though because of the HEATWAVE we had in Europe/The Netherlands for the last 3 to 5 days and it will continue a little bit more.

YOU CAN BET YOUR ASS THAT IF I AM HAVING OVERHEATING ISSUES many other people in similiar buildings will be having overheating issues as well. Though my living room temperature is ambient 30 degree celcius. My mother's house is 23 to 24 degree celcius. Even there the laptop would have become quite hot for sure if I went to game there... maybe not shutdown but still.

Clearly these laptops are not designed for mothers/grandpa's or grannies... but yet they are still the easiest to use and are being sold to these people.

I CALL UPON THE ELECTRONICS INDUSTRY TO GIVE US/DESIGN FOR US LAPTOPS WHICH ARE EASILY CLEANABLE IN ESSENTIAL PARTS which would be HEATSINK and maybe FAN.

I HAVE THE VIDEO TO PROVE IT TOO THAT THERE WAS BLOCKING AIRFLOW DUST BUILD UP ON THESE KIND OF HEATSINKS. Perhaps I will upload this later to youtube and provide video link there but for now writing down this story is much more important.

THERE CAN BE NO ARGUMENT ABOUT THIS. SOME MIGHT SAY: BUT THEN PEOPLE CAN DAMAGE THE INSIDES OR WHATEVER. FACT IS: IT IS NECESSARY TO OPEN THE LAPTOP ANYWAY FOR CORRECT FUNCTIONING SO PEOPLE ARE GOING TO TRY IT ANYWAY.

SO MAKE IT AS EASY AS POSSIBLE TO ONLY GET THESE PARTS OUT WITHOUT ACTUALLY ****ING DAMAGING ANYTHING.

THIS LAPTOP WAS FROM 2012 ?! Maybe designed in 2007 ?!? Perhaps overheating computers back then wasn't so common.

BUT TODAY I AM SURE IT'S HAPPENING MASSIVELY with hot INTEL and AMD CHIPS like this.

There are some new chips on the market from AMD with much lower wattages...

These can go and will fit into laptops... people should be looking out for them... though I am not sure if they will deliver enough performance for GAMING... that might still be a serious problem/limitation !

So far the laptop is optimized perfectly at software level so somewhat sad to see it not functioning right now. Was maybe even thinking about returning it to my mother someday when I get new computer probably... Then maybe she amazed how fast it was, but so far she says she don't want any laptop anymore she always disppointed by these machines... even latest amd powered low watt laptop was not impressive indeed it was slowly, partially because of slow AMD cpu and also security software, for modern laptop, thing and windows 10 on it... advised/bought by my half-sister and mother... not me though !

Windows 10 also kind sucked couldn't get into it without password, only if wifi was disconnected maybe somehow can get in but difficult to do and you would have to know this. SO **** MICROSOFT TOO for causing UNNECESSARY LOG IN STRESS !
It even made me forget to take along the HEALTH MASKS against ****ing corona ! So **** you again Microsoft ****ing JACK-ASSES... couldn't ****ing believe it.

FIRE THE ****ERS responsible for this remote/internet/login bull**** !!!

Anyway thank god I have a backup computer otherwise I be royally ****ed !

Especially with this STINKING CORONA hanging around in possible computer stores ?!

Might be safest to order one of these toshiba laptop adapters if still available ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Though I must say I was kinda impressed by the build quality of the components.

I really liked how the bluedrive just slides in and connects. How the harddisk just slides in and connects, all without cables, quite cool !

If you have never seen it, definetly take a look !

Here you can see it slightly in action, this is the video I followed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Cz4G50IeQ

One more lesson learned: I should film my own hardware a little bit better and more proper from all angles and zoom levels just to see how things were, I was a bit sloppy and dynamic/shakey this time but it wasn't bad. Long time since I had to do this... didn't really feel worth it cause it's not really my gear, but should do it anyway. The large ammounts of copper inside of it kinda amazed me ?! Maybe back then copper wasn't as expensive as it is now ?!?

Maybe there some money to be made from recycling these laptops !

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old August 13th 20, 04:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 9:47:06 AM UTC+2, Paul wrote:
wrote:

8. So I plug back the power adapter into the laptop, this
was basically the only thing left I had to do and I start
noticing this beeping...

I did not understand how to remove the power socket inside
the motherboard I put my screw driver in there kinda stupid
when I was disassembling it so I was worried maybe I bent a pin...
but after re-opening the entire thing I dont really believe this
was an issue I could be wrong though...

Check to see if the laptop still has a center pin in
the barrel connector body.

It could be the center pin is jammed in the wall adapter
end of the cable.

It could be snapped off or bent.

The sound you hear, is the SMPS trying to recover from overload
and still finding the overload present. Something near the
connector is damaged.

Paul

Thanks Paul !

After close inspection of the laptop and especially the connector I realize what happened.

I think while I was trying to push/pop this connector out I pushed back one of the metal pins.

It's now probably causing a short circuit of some kind which causes the adapter to beep rapidly.

I made a video about it so you can see for yourself:

https://youtu.be/FmTdumrbHL0

Let me know what you think ?

I am pretty sure that metal pin is bent and needs to be bent back... if I fail to do that this connector will have to be replaced and I am not sure how to do that, pretty crazy to think that this little connector ruins a 1000 euro costing laptop !

Bye for now,
Skybuck =D
Old August 13th 20, 07:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

[...]

It doesn't look bent from here.

It looks like the multiple wires are there to carry more current.
Maybe two wires for (+) and two wires for (-). Be careful to put the
internal end on the mating connector the correct way around.

It could be that just the wall adapter has a problem.

Paul
Old August 14th 20, 07:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Hi,

Problem solved,

I bend back the outside pin so it doesn't short-circuit the center or back pin or whatever it was short-circuiting !

It's a bit crooked now but it's working.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/ZBZ.../edit/advanced

Sometimes in future I will update all 22 videos to show how I disassembled the laptop and recorded the adapter beeing, the bending back of the pin and the working of laptop again.

But for now I have no time to go through the cumbersome settings in youtube per video, tried to do it all at once but not working, some videos remain in draft, so this will have to do for now.

Thank you very much !

It's actually kinda funny how you, Paul, don't see the damage to the connector lol.

It's indeed hard to see cause the external/outside pin is bent inwards, I also missed it at first, after thinking long and hard about it I realized that's not how it should be and a pin/external holding pin or whatever the hell it is is missing ! =D

I recalled the disassembly video of somebody else and there was a pin there... so this is like WHERE IS WALDO ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

P.S.: Youtube make your menus work better/faster for bulk/many videos !