Is it time for a new computer?

Old June 28th 04, 10:06 PM
Travis King

Default Is it time for a new computer?

I know that this isn't exactly AMD related, but I was curious if it
was time for a better computer because a few games have been a little on the
slow side. The visualizations in WMP9 are somewhat slow when I'm using full
screen. Any opinions would be appreciated. I believe my computer does meet
the requirements for the new "Longhorn", but I think it just barely meets
the requirements. Anyway, here are my system specs. Anything that you
think should be upgraded or is bad if not the whole thing, let me know. Any
recommendations would be welcome... Also, if for any reason I wanted to
sell my computer, how much do you think I should sell it for? It's around a
year and half old. (I had it booted up the first time in October of 2002
and I've upgraded lots of things since.)
-Power supply unit: 400W 8 connectors (Installed in January 2004)
-3 case fans (all three light up) One in back. One in side. One on top.
(1 installed a few weeks ago2004) (2 installed at the end of December 2003)
-Aspire X-Dreamer II case (pretty new) (Installed in the end of December
2003)
-Memorex 52x32x52 CD RW drive (Installed in March 2004)
-Lite On 16x DVD drive (48x CD ROM) (Installed in June 2003)
-IDE Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM 2MB cache hard drive (Installed since day
one)
-IDE Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM 8MB cache hard drive (Installed in August
2003)
-3 /12" floppy drive (Installed since day one)
-Asus A7V333 motherboard version 1.xx BIOS 1017 (oldest component in my
computer) (Installed since day one)
-AMD Athlon XP 2400+ overclocked to 2.26GHz (274MHz FSB) (Installed in
October 2003)
-Kingston PC-3000 512MB DDR RAM (Installed in end of December 2003)
-NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200 128MB DDR with TV out (manufactured by Chaintech)
(Installed since day one)
-Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1 speakers (Installed since day one)
-Linksys 10/100 network card for Cable Internet (Installed in November 2003)
-Logitech Z-560 speakers 4.1 400W maximum power (Set up in June 2003) DON'T
WANT TO SELL
-Logitech optical mouse (corded) blue (Set up with my previous computer
(eMachines T1090) back in March of 2002)
-Logitech multimedia keyboard (black) (Set up in end of December 2002)
-Proview 19" CRT monitor (Set up in March 2003)
-$10 microphone (Set up in August 2003)
-Visioneer 5800 USB scanner (Set up in end of December 2002)
-Canon i560 printer (Brand new) (Set up a week ago) DON'T WANT TO SELL
-Logitech Wingman controller (Set up in end of December 2002)

Thanks in advance.

Old June 28th 04, 11:18 PM
Larry Gagnon

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:06:00 +0000, Travis King wrote:

I know that this isn't exactly AMD related, but I was curious if it
was time for a better computer because a few games have been a little on the
slow side. The visualizations in WMP9 are somewhat slow when I'm using full
screen. Any opinions would be appreciated. I believe my computer does meet
the requirements for the new "Longhorn", but I think it just barely meets
the requirements.

{snip}

Didn't you ask much the same question in your post 2 hours previous: "Slow
CPU- I think"???

Your hardware is fine, most anyone would love to have your computer. Are
you bragging?

Your problems are not hardware related. You probably have
incorrect drivers, badly installed software, a computer full of spyware or
a virus. I answered you question before.

Larry Gagnon
Old June 28th 04, 11:28 PM
Amir Facade

Definitely time for a new computer.
As a matter of fact I think you should pack the whole works in a couple of
boxes and send it to me for proper disposal.
Gotta watch the environment you know, and not just anyone can safely get rid
of a computer as bad as yours.
E-Mail me for the shipping address.
The service is free, but you have to pay for the postage.

Amir

Old June 28th 04, 11:53 PM
Tyrone Jackson

Can I send you mine too? That sounds like a great deal but I have a Asus
Nforce 2 ultra 400 board with a AMD 2600+ CPU, Visiontek Ti 4200/128. I
guess its time to upgrade again.
What your addy? I'll send it Priority.

Thank you for your help.
Ty

Old June 29th 04, 12:21 AM
Travis King

It used to be that I was bragging about it, but I'm serious now...I've been
told right and left that I should can my GeForce3 Ti200 video card. Maybe I
should... I don't know. It's almost two years old now; it's not the
computer guru that it used to be.
om...

Old June 29th 04, 10:11 PM
rms

It used to be that I was bragging about it, but I'm serious now...I've
been
told right and left that I should can my GeForce3 Ti200 video card.

If you can spend $200 get a 9800pro or a FX5900, if $300 get a 6800 or
X800.

rms

Old June 29th 04, 10:20 PM
Flow

Your setup is fine.
Your games are slow because of your videocard,get a faster/newer one.
Also are you on xp pro as os?
Get another 512mb of the same speed ram(can be higher but don't take slower
ram) because windows xp likes 1Gb.
Maybe you want to use the wiretrick to unlock the lower multipliers for your
xp2400.
Then you can set 12,5 x 166fsb (333mhz as is your ram).This will give you
speed increase.
You probably have a higher multiplier set to reach 2.26Ghz but you get more
speed from higher fsb in general.
I run a TI4400 and it's getting slow for the latest games,only way to make
things smoother is for me to oc my xp2400 also to 2.2Ghz.

Old June 30th 04, 06:29 PM
Travis King

I think the main problem is that the motherboard is older, so it won't
support anything faster than what I've got it set at. My motherboard is an
Asus A7V333 motherboard with revision 1.xx, not 2. I think that's the main
problem. The BIOS is version 1017.

Old July 2nd 04, 12:39 AM
Hippy Paul

I think the main problem is that the motherboard is older, so it won't
support anything faster than what I've got it set at. My motherboard is

an
Asus A7V333 motherboard with revision 1.xx, not 2. I think that's the

main
problem. The BIOS is version 1017.
"Travis King" wrote in message
Just like I said earlier, when I tried that, the computer wouldn't even
boot.

yes a rev 1.xx would probably not be so hot on the fsb front, also you only
have 4x AGP so any new video cards would probably not be able to perform at
their best.

Maybe just get a new mobo - can get some good deals on single and dual
channel nforce and sis and KT600 boards - and keep the rest. Better agp
support and faster fsb might even get a bit better performance on your
geforce 3. But maybe I am not one to coomment on video cards as I am still
using a 64mb geforce 2 mx 400, but I am not that much of a gamer.