Just found this site. Question.

Old April 26th 07, 07:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Weber

Default Just found this site. Question.

I have a HP 1220c printer. Prints come out denser (more intense color)and
somewhat darker than shown on monitor screen. can either be adjusted to
match? Using HP paper and HP ink. TIA for any help you can give.

Old April 27th 07, 08:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Warren Weber" wrote in message

I have a HP 1220c printer. Prints come out denser (more intense color)and
somewhat darker than shown on monitor screen. can either be adjusted to
match? Using HP paper and HP ink. TIA for any help you can give.

What operating system are you using? What driver - the one supplied with
the OS or one from HP? Depending on the driver you can change the ink
volume in the "advanced" tab in the driver. You may also want to calibrate
your monitor, see http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old April 28th 07, 01:37 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Weber

"Bob Headrick" wrote in message
"Warren Weber" wrote in message

I have a HP 1220c printer. Prints come out denser (more intense color)and
somewhat darker than shown on monitor screen. can either be adjusted to
match? Using HP paper and HP ink. TIA for any help you can give.

What operating system are you using? What driver - the one supplied with
the OS or one from HP? Depending on the driver you can change the ink
volume in the "advanced" tab in the driver. You may also want to
calibrate your monitor, see
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Thank you Bob. Will check these items out. This is a great photo printer.
Warren

Old April 28th 07, 11:51 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

What are you using as your program to print from? If it is something
like Photoshop, you probably have some type of color management
adjustments such as Adobe Gamma to help to correct for this. That is a
small program that sets the monitor up for a fairly neutral set of
adjustments that should be fairly accurate reproduction of images. Once
you have that set up, you can adjust parameters in the color management
of the printer driver to try to replicate the screen results.

If you do not have a color managed printing program like Photoshop, you
can either adjust the printer to the monitor, the monitor to the
printer, or try bring each half way so they match, using both monitor
settings and printer driver settings.

In general, color management of the PC is still difficult to achieve
without special and fairly costly software and hardware solutions.

It may be worth your while to purchase these if you do a large amount of
printing, or need very accurate results.

Art

Old April 28th 07, 01:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Well, I agree that color management hardware is coming down in price,
but I'm not sure the Pantone Huey, at $75 includes full management which
will allow for printer profiles and LUT. It will help, but I believe it
is esencially a color screen calibration tool.

Also, what is the learning curve on it, some are a real bear to work with.

Art

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:51:42 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers Arthur Entlich
wrote:

In general, color management of the PC is still difficult to achieve
without special and fairly costly software and hardware solutions.

It may be worth your while to purchase these if you do a large amount of
printing, or need very accurate results.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this assessment. Given the cost of
OEM ink and decent paper, I would not deem an ~$75 expenditure on a Pantone
Huey "fairly costly" in the scheme of things.

Old April 28th 07, 03:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

It just happens that if one wants to use non OEM ink then Pantone is one
of the reputable mfg. The only issue with Pantone is you will not save
any money over the OEM.

Old April 28th 07, 10:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 12:25:03 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers Arthur Entlich
wrote:

Well, I agree that color management hardware is coming down in price,
but I'm not sure the Pantone Huey, at $75 includes full management which
will allow for printer profiles and LUT. It will help, but I believe it
is esencially a color screen calibration tool.

Yes, this is a monitor calibration tool. But, if you use oem ink and
paper you can use the printer manufacturer's profiles, so there is no need
for printer profiling for many users. High end paper manufacturer's also
supply profiles as well. If one wishes to go the complete route there are
folks over in r.p.d. who are happy with third party profiles you have
created by sending in a print.

Also, what is the learning curve on it, some are a real bear to work with.

I can't speak specifically to the Huey software, but the software that came
with my old Spyder is a snap to use.

Room lighting is another important consideration. Unless you're in a
windowless room where the lighting doesn't change, accurate monitor
calibration must be nearly impossible. One window is enough to make a
difference between daytime and nighttime lighting. I'm not very fussy,
and I surely notice a change with my monitor.

The lighting under which you view the prints is equally important.
Change the lighting, and you change the way the print looks.

TJ

Old April 28th 07, 10:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Weber

.. .
wrote:

[...]

THANKS to all that answered. Will look at all suggestions. WW

Old April 29th 07, 10:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

There are literally books and complete websites on color management.
Even the experts don't agree on the best methods and tools. Also, even
assuming your printer is working as it should be, there can be
variations between the units, even when using manufacturer's papers,
inks and profiles.

More of a problem is the cryptic nature of the instructions the printer
manufacturer's and other software products provide. One of the big
problems a couple of us have been in discussions with several in this
business is the lack of agreement in the use of terms, the nature of the
interfaces and the problem of double color management. What I mean by
this is that since there are no solid tools within the OS (on the
Windows side of things) each manufacturer has attempted to find their
own solution to color management. The problem is they often step on
each other's toes. So, the minimal OS controls, the printer driver
controls, the image processing software controls, the video card
software and driver controls, the scanner or camera color management
controls, and so on, each have their own methods to try to help
calibrate the monitor to print results. It often makes a mess of
things, and the confusion for the average user can be quite substantial.

If the OS had established protocols and rules earlier, they would have
been ingrained and integrated, as it is with the Mac OS. To this day,
MS is still trying to develop a set of protocols that will be accepted
throughout the industry. It gets progressively better with each OS
release, and some tools are manifesting in Vista, for instance, that may
be brought into the foreground as they evolve which may resolve this to
a greater extent, if the rest of the industry can agree to allowing the
OS handle this.

Time will tell, but in the meantime, there are some things an individual
can do. Make sure your printer is working correctly. Many times off
color prints, especially suddenly, as the result of a clogged head or
wrong ink or paper in use.

Figure out which software you are allowing to handle color management,
so it doesn't get double color managed. Many use Adobe Photoshop and
Adobe Gamma to accomplish this, some use the printer drivers, some use
scanner or camera conversion software, and yet others use a separate
product/calibration tool set.

Art

Warren Weber wrote:

.. .