What is wrong with Vista and video drivers?

Old August 22nd 08, 09:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
root[_3_]

Default What is wrong with Vista and video drivers?

I have installed various versions of the nvidia driver for the 8800gts many times and the same problem occurs each time. If I can set the resolutions I need (not possible on all driver versions), they are gone next time I boot vista. My target is 1920x1440 for the display, and 1920x1080 for the HDTV. I have been able to set the resolutions correctly many times, but only for a day or so, and then on reboot the system resets them down to a lower value. I am unable to reset them. My monitor is stuck again at 1600x1200, and the HDTV mode is 720P. I know all about the advanced settings, show all modes, driver cleaner, etc. etc. I see no point in trying any more drivers, and this is all tech support can suggest. There is something fundamentally wrong with Vista or the way the driver is programmed to interact with the system. I'm currently on 177.83.

I use the same hardware on XP, in a dual boot configuration, and the resolutions are correct and stable.

Old August 23rd 08, 02:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skipai Otter[_2_]

"root" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe it's probably because the 8xxx series isn't exactly HDCP compatible
and Vista will have to lower the resolution due to the DRM inside the thing.
Of course this could be wrong but one possible possibility.

--
Skipai

Old August 23rd 08, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
root[_3_]

[...]

You know, I thought of the DRM thing, but I have no documentation. But why did it run at 1920x1080 for even a day or so? Vista went through a couple of warm boots also and held this setting. Was it just the really cold boot a day or so later that caused the downgrade? Or is this whole thing just a bug? The totally obvious fix if it's DRM related is XP. This would make XP seem like the next generation OS, not the reverse.

Old August 23rd 08, 09:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Andy[_9_]

"root" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,

This is an old trick so use it at your own risk, but what you need to do is
boot into Vista without any monitors plugged into the graphics card. Once
the windows desktop has loaded plug the primary monitor back in and windows
should start the plug'n'play hardware discovery wizard... the secret to
making the profile stick. Repeat for the other monitor (with your primary
still attached).

Hope this helps

Andy

Old August 23rd 08, 05:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
root[_3_]

This is an old trick so use it at your own risk, but what you need to do
is boot into Vista without any monitors plugged into the graphics card.
Once the windows desktop has loaded plug the primary monitor back in and
windows should start the plug'n'play hardware discovery wizard... the
secret to making the profile stick. Repeat for the other monitor (with
your primary still attached).

Worked, thanks. But I only unplugged the hdtv before starting, and plugged it back in when I logged in. All the modes are back. Clone mode has 1920x1080 again. Single monitor mode has 1920x1440 again. I did one warm reboot and the settings held. The real test is boot after long power off.

Old August 23rd 08, 06:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
root[_3_]

This is an old trick so use it at your own risk, but what you need to do
is boot into Vista without any monitors plugged into the graphics card.
Once the windows desktop has loaded plug the primary monitor back in and
windows should start the plug'n'play hardware discovery wizard... the
secret to making the profile stick. Repeat for the other monitor (with
your primary still attached).

Worked, thanks. But I only unplugged the hdtv before starting, and plugged it back in when I logged in. All the modes are back. Clone mode has 1920x1080 again. Single monitor mode has 1920x1440 again. I did one warm reboot and the settings held. The real test is boot after long power off.

I spoke too soon. Even though all the resolutions are coming up, clone mode is not working since I get "Unsupported video format" on the hdtv. I've tried to set the HD signal format but it won't work, the nvidia control panel UI won't select 1080i or 1080p, it goes back to the top one, custom format. If I use "Configured independently..." then I can set 1080i and the hdtv works. But I need clone mode for my setup.
Old August 24th 08, 09:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

root wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the problem lies in your monitor, either drivers or firmware. I
wont touch Vista, who would?