Newsreader message filters (somewhat off topic)

Old August 4th 08, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon[_2_]

Default Newsreader message filters (somewhat off topic)

I'd like the ability to killfile all THREADS begun by a particular poster.
Not just the initial post, but also all the follow-on posts in the thread.

I currently use Windows Mail as a newsreader, but that doesn't seem to have
the flexibility in message rules to accomplish this task. Any suggestions
for a third-party newsreader? A free version would be nice, but a good
for-fee version would be worth the money.

I post the question to this newsgroup as I'm sure it's occurred to other
frequent participants here.

Phil Weldon

Old August 4th 08, 09:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
m...
I'd like the ability to killfile all THREADS begun by a particular poster.
Not just the initial post, but also all the follow-on posts in the thread.

I currently use Windows Mail as a newsreader, but that doesn't seem to
have the flexibility in message rules to accomplish this task. Any
suggestions for a third-party newsreader? A free version would be nice,
but a good for-fee version would be worth the money.

I post the question to this newsgroup as I'm sure it's occurred to other
frequent participants here.

Phil Weldon

I'd also like to know of one...this place has turned into a troll and sock
puppet infested wasteland over the last several weeks. Was on holiday for
last two weeks and was hoping it would improve while I was gone....it's
worse.

Old August 4th 08, 09:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Phil Weldon wrote:
I'd like the ability to killfile all THREADS begun by a particular
poster. Not just the initial post, but also all the follow-on posts in
the thread.

I currently use Windows Mail as a newsreader, but that doesn't seem to
have the flexibility in message rules to accomplish this task. Any
suggestions for a third-party newsreader? A free version would be nice,
but a good for-fee version would be worth the money.

I post the question to this newsgroup as I'm sure it's occurred to other
frequent participants here.

Phil Weldon

Mozilla Thunderbird (which is admittedly not the best email or
newsreader client freely available) but perfectly adequate for most
tasks has a robust filtering mechanism and does exactly what you wish.

On the top menu bar Tools -- Message Filters Click on 'New' and up
comes the dialog box where you have numerous drop down choices:

When this happens or that happens do this or this.

As an example I have a filter called IGNORED THREADS

When I open up any news group and the subject has Sykshmuck Lying in
it or the post is from Sykshmuck Lying then ignore the thread.

That eliminates any thread with that persons name in it, you can also
enable logging to verify that the threads are being ignored.
Thunderbird's chaining conditional filters are very flexible and very
easy to use.

There are add-ons that expand the possibilities of filtering, I have
seen "create new filter rules from this message" as a context menu
option...where you have quick access to your filter mechanism and the
message in question is the template, very handy.

Also, filter rules can get lengthy and complex, as you direct messages
to different folders or accounts....there are add-ons that manage filter
importing and exporting, also very handy for the forum warrior.

I use Thunderbird for Thunderbird biff, I'm sure there are better choices.
Old August 4th 08, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Phil Weldon wrote:
I'd like the ability to killfile all THREADS begun by a particular
poster. Not just the initial post, but also all the follow-on posts in
the thread.

I currently use Windows Mail as a newsreader, but that doesn't seem to
have the flexibility in message rules to accomplish this task. Any
suggestions for a third-party newsreader? A free version would be nice,
but a good for-fee version would be worth the money.

I post the question to this newsgroup as I'm sure it's occurred to other
frequent participants here.

Phil Weldon

I forgot the link to the Filter F.A.Q.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Filters

Old August 5th 08, 12:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Derek[_2_]

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
m...
I'd like the ability to killfile all THREADS begun by a particular poster.
Not just the initial post, but also all the follow-on posts in the thread.

I currently use Windows Mail as a newsreader, but that doesn't seem to
have the flexibility in message rules to accomplish this task. Any
suggestions for a third-party newsreader? A free version would be nice,
but a good for-fee version would be worth the money.

I post the question to this newsgroup as I'm sure it's occurred to other
frequent participants here.

Phil Weldon

from OE news reader click on message from toolbar select message block
sender - then you get the option to delete all existing posts by that sender
I would expect WM to use a similar system as its supposed to be the improved
version -then again maybe not.
Derek

Old August 5th 08, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'Derek' wrote:
from OE news reader click on message from toolbar select message block
sender - then you get the option to delete all existing posts by that
sender I would expect WM to use a similar system as its supposed to be the
improved version -then again maybe not.

The task is to block the entire thread. Neither Outlook Express nor Windows
Mail is capable of that.

Phil Weldon

Old August 5th 08, 03:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Phil Weldon wrote:
I'd like the ability to killfile all THREADS begun by a particular
poster. Not just the initial post, but also all the follow-on posts in
the thread.

I currently use Windows Mail as a newsreader, but that doesn't seem to
have the flexibility in message rules to accomplish this task. Any
suggestions for a third-party newsreader? A free version would be nice,
but a good for-fee version would be worth the money.

I post the question to this newsgroup as I'm sure it's occurred to other
frequent participants here.

Phil Weldon

Try XNews. I'm sure there's some arcane lore of configuration settings
that allows just that.
Old August 5th 08, 07:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dirk Wolfgang Glomp

Am Mon, 4 Aug 2008 14:21:31 -0400 schrieb Phil Weldon:

I'd like the ability to killfile all THREADS begun by a particular poster.
Not just the initial post, but also all the follow-on posts in the thread.

I currently use Windows Mail as a newsreader, but that doesn't seem to have
the flexibility in message rules to accomplish this task. Any suggestions
for a third-party newsreader? A free version would be nice, but a good
for-fee version would be worth the money.

I post the question to this newsgroup as I'm sure it's occurred to other
frequent participants here.

Phil Weldon

http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

Dirk
Old August 5th 08, 07:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
houghi

deimos wrote:
Try XNews. I'm sure there's some arcane lore of configuration settings
that allows just that.

Basicaly what you need to filetr on is References:

houghi
--

This space left blank intentionaly
Old August 6th 08, 06:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
dewey edwards

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 14:21:31 -0400, Phil Weldon wrote:

I'd like the ability to killfile all THREADS begun by a particular poster.
Not just the initial post, but also all the follow-on posts in the thread.

I currently use Windows Mail as a newsreader, but that doesn't seem to have
the flexibility in message rules to accomplish this task. Any suggestions
for a third-party newsreader? A free version would be nice, but a good
for-fee version would be worth the money.

I post the question to this newsgroup as I'm sure it's occurred to other
frequent participants here.

Phil Weldon

You can do that now.

In Windows Mail, VIEW COLUMNS and check WATCH/IGNORE.

Now, when you see *that* poster's thread, slowing click twice in the
Watch/Ignore column (eyeglasses) and all is now marked read.