NVIDIA DISASTER: thousands of GPUs faulty

Old August 3rd 08, 10:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

Default NVIDIA DISASTER: thousands of GPUs faulty

* DRS:

I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium S939 Nforce 4 motherboard. I have the Nvidia
Ethernet driver installed but not MediaShield, etc. To date I have had no
problem with the Nvidia Gigabit Ethernet port.

I had a workstation that used the nForce Professional (workstation
variant of the nForce 4) and also had the Nvidia integrated NIC, and
while I also didn't had any real problems the performance was just bad.

The problem with the nForce 4 lies in the integrated firewall which lead
to data corruption (esp. with ftp) if active. Depending on the BIOS on
some systems it was still active even when the Nvidia Firewall software
hadn't been installed. In these cases it was necessary to install the
software, deactivate the firewall and then remove the software to avoid
these problems.

Benjamin
Old August 3rd 08, 11:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message

[...]

The problem with the nForce 4 lies in the integrated firewall which
lead to data corruption (esp. with ftp) if active.

Which I never used because I read the ASUS motherboard newsgroup.

Depending on the
BIOS on some systems it was still active even when the Nvidia
Firewall software hadn't been installed. In these cases it was
necessary to install the software, deactivate the firewall and then
remove the software to avoid these problems.

That's nasty.

Old August 3rd 08, 03:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

DRS wrote:
"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message

[...]

The problem with the nForce 4 lies in the integrated firewall which
lead to data corruption (esp. with ftp) if active.

Which I never used because I read the ASUS motherboard newsgroup.

Depending on the
BIOS on some systems it was still active even when the Nvidia
Firewall software hadn't been installed. In these cases it was
necessary to install the software, deactivate the firewall and then
remove the software to avoid these problems.

That's nasty.

That's nasty is right and that's precisely what I am trying to relate to
deimos...there was a time, for more than a year...that NV on-board NICS
were unusable due to such problems: bluescreens, data corruption, you
had no choice but to use the 2nd NIC or drop one in yourself.

And someone asked what this talk about NICs has to do with the current
mess, the first is that nvidia has a history of manufacturing mistakes
and instead of fixing the problem they simply release a new product.

The NIC issue, the mis-valued resistor causing the infinite loop
problem, HDD data corruption in the nforce 5 (6?) series, "soundstorm",
improper chip packaging merely being the latest.

There were other hardware issues and nvidia isn't the only company to
have hardware issues (Hello to you too Creative Labs) but nvidia likes
to play on what we have seen in action in this NG, in this thread: the
power of anecdote vs. data.

If you are a single user and you have used one or two boards in the past
few years and kept your usage patterns the same chances are you might
not have ever run into an issue...but if you are a vendor or if you deal
with many many boards in a technical or integration capacity or if you
collect failure data or if you have to support said failures, you begin
to see the systemic problems and achieve a level of perspective far
greater than a single person's anecdote.

This is what nvidia doesn't want, aggregate data...I'm sure a recall
would be mandated by accurate aggregate data and that would be
prohibitively expensive and nvidia says, like they always have: let's
ignore it and build something new!

Old August 5th 08, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
dizzy

Mr.E Solved! wrote:

That's nasty is right and that's precisely what I am trying to relate to
deimos...there was a time, for more than a year...that NV on-board NICS
were unusable due to such problems: bluescreens, data corruption, you
had no choice but to use the 2nd NIC or drop one in yourself.

Hmm... I built an nforce4-based machine for my brother years ago, and
it's had no problems. It only has one NIC.