OT Should the police search your smartphone/tablet?

Old June 26th 14, 02:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android
John Doe[_9_]

Default OT Should the police search your smartphone/tablet?

In a 9-0 decision, the winner is... Privacy!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...2014.html?_r=1

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arg...13-132&TY=2013

Oral argument from last week's Supreme Court case "Riley v.
California". It's mainly about the difference between the police
searching your wallet and searching your smartphone. There is some
technical stuff (like referring to prior cases), but most of it is
common language.

Old June 26th 14, 07:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android
Edmund

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 01:43:27 +0000, John Doe wrote:

In a 9-0 decision, the winner is... Privacy!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...supreme-court-

decisions-in-2014.html?_r=1

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arg...o_detail.aspx?

argument=13-132&TY=2013

Oral argument from last week's Supreme Court case "Riley v.
California". It's mainly about the difference between the police
searching your wallet and searching your smartphone. There is some
technical stuff (like referring to prior cases), but most of it is
common language.

I don't know what you think the police will do, but I know for a fact
what they do in the netherlands, regardless of what they are entitled to
do.
They search and store everything and keep it forever, just like our ISP's
Windows, Google and all other companies that manage to steel our private
data.

Edmund
Old June 26th 14, 02:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android
PAS

"Edmund" wrote in message
[...]

The police here in the USA seem to be no different. There is a difference
between what they are permitted to do and what they actually do. The
"climate" of law enforcement has changed. Citizens are viewed as suspicious
and we are treated that way. The police are supposed to protect and serve
the public, they do neither. The courts have ruled that they are not
obligated to protect us. They serve their own interests rather than the
public's.

Old June 26th 14, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe[_9_]

"PAS" ntotrr optonline.net wrote:

John Doe wrote:

In a 9-0 decision, the winner is... Privacy!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...2014.html?_r=1

There is a difference between what they are permitted to do and
what they actually do. The "climate" of law enforcement has
changed. Citizens are viewed as suspicious and we are treated
that way. The police are supposed to protect and serve the
public, they do neither. The courts have ruled that they are
not obligated to protect us.

Citations please...

They serve their own interests rather than the public's.

I would bet that the percentage of bad cops roughly parallels the
percentage of bad people. To most of them, it's a job, just like
work is to the rest of us. Cops have to deal with some very slimy
people. And when you are dealing with a cop, you need to respect
its power. But of course on the Internet your ego runs wild. I've
seen plenty of morons on the Internet bashing police officers.

From: "PAS" ntotrr optonline.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 09:38:37 -0400

Old June 26th 14, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,free.usenet,free.spirit
OldeGit

On 26/06/2014 18:20, John Doe wrote:

I would bet that the percentage of bad cops roughly parallels the
percentage of bad people. To most of them, it's a job, just like
work is to the rest of us. Cops have to deal with some very slimy
people. And when you are dealing with a cop, you need to respect
its power. But of course on the Internet your ego runs wild. I've
seen plenty of morons on the Internet bashing police officers.

Are you an American?

Old June 26th 14, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe[_9_]

pointless troll...

Old June 26th 14, 07:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
PAS

John Doe wrote:

In a 9-0 decision, the winner is... Privacy!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...2014.html?_r=1

There is a difference between what they are permitted to do and
what they actually do. The "climate" of law enforcement has
changed. Citizens are viewed as suspicious and we are treated
that way. The police are supposed to protect and serve the
public, they do neither. The courts have ruled that they are
not obligated to protect us.

Citations please...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po...otus.html?_r=0 but you'll
argue about anyway, won't you?

They serve their own interests rather than the public's.

I would bet that the percentage of bad cops roughly parallels the
percentage of bad people. To most of them, it's a job, just like
work is to the rest of us. Cops have to deal with some very slimy
people. And when you are dealing with a cop, you need to respect
its power. But of course on the Internet your ego runs wild. I've
seen plenty of morons on the Internet bashing police officers.

It's not "just a job". Did you take on oath to protect and preserve the
Constitution when you got your job? Do you carry a gun and have the power
to arrest people and change the course of their lives? No, it's not just a
job, it's a position that carries a lot of responsibility. Cops need to
respect the citizens who they are supposed to serve and who pay their
salaries rather than treat us as suspects. Wait until the day comes when
you are harassed for doing absolutely nothing wrong and are unfortunate
enough to have to deal with a bully cop who is having a bad day and wants to
take it out on someone. The bad cops are in the minority but the good ones,
despite what they may claim, do nothing but cover for them.

Old June 26th 14, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android
(PeteCresswell)

Per Edmund:
companies that manage to steel our private data.

CANDIDATE FOR A PULLET SURPRISE

I have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.
Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished inn it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.
Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.
Bee fore a veiling checkers
Hour spelling mite decline,

And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.
Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know faults with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.
Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.

My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped words fare as hear.
To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaws are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too pleas.

Jerry Zar, 29 June 1992
Jerrold H. Zar
Graduate School
Northern Illinois University
Title suggested by Pamela Brown.
Based on opening lines suggested by Mark Eckman.

Pete Cresswell
Old June 26th 14, 08:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,free.usenet,free.spirit
(PeteCresswell)

Per John Doe:
I would bet that the percentage of bad cops roughly parallels the
percentage of bad people.

I would agree - with emphasis on "roughly".

I'm guessing police work attracts a certain percentage of unsuitable
people just as fire fighting attracts pyromaniacs and child care
attracts pedophiles.

I tend to be a little suspicious when I hear about a guy who "always
wanted to be a cop".

Possibly an overreaction, but it's been in my mind ever since I read
about a NYC cop who became Policeman Of The Year or somesuch. The
question was "Why did you become a police officer?" and the answer was
"I was out of work and they were hiring."

OTOH, there's Serpico who, by all accounts, always wanted to be cop and
turned out to be an exceptional one.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old June 26th 14, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe[_9_]

Some strange troll...