Nview...

Old January 4th 04, 07:46 PM
Paul Coene

Default Nview...

Where to log bug reports? Nvidia's site doesn't have a support area...

--
Drool

"I am not taking much pleasure from being negative,
but do you think this looks good, or what?" - Lev Andropov (Armageddon)

WEB: http://home.rochester.rr.com/drool
MAIL: Home: WORK:

Old January 5th 04, 11:37 AM
Philip Meyer

I had a problem with the version of NView packaged in 53.03, which I reported
here a week or so ago, because I couldn't find anywhere to send bug reports.

Here was the original message, followed by how I eventually fixed it

I have upgraded to Forceware 53.03, and I now have a problem with nView.

I have a Ti4200, Windows XP Pro.

nView runs fine running as Administrator. However, I normally use my PC as a
user with only "Power User" access, and there are a couple of other limited user
accounts. As these users, I can bring up advanced settings, go to the gForce
Ti4200 tab, but don't see the desktop management settings group.

If I go to control panel, and start "Display" using right-click RunAs
Administrator, the Desktop Mnagement settings group is available, and I can
attempt to switch on nView, but it still doesn't work.

I don't want to grant all users have Administrator privilege.

I have tried installing whilst logged in as Administrator, and also installing
as a standard user and using RunAs Administrator on the Setup.Exe. Neither
worked.

I can't see why nView should not be allowed to run under a normal account. As
this has been running fine in previous versions of the nVidia drivers, I suspect
that there's a file somewhere that has been installed with incorrect security
permissions.

The problem was solved by adding Read access for the Users group to about 6
files that had been installed in C:\windows\system32. One of these was
nwiz.exe, which I think prevented the nview wizard from being displayed on the
first login after installation. Other files were the nview control panel
extension, so the tab was not visible in display properties.

Phil

------------------------------
Phil Meyer
http://www.hergest.demon.co.uk
Old January 6th 04, 12:43 PM
Daniel Crichton

Philip Meyer wrote:
I had a problem with the version of NView packaged in 53.03, which I
reported here a week or so ago, because I couldn't find anywhere to
send bug reports.

Why do you class that as a bug? It shouldn't be up to the driver installer
to determine whether read access should be given to the Users group. As far
as I can tell installation is as it should be - it's up to Administrators to
grant access to files after installing, not to have to go around removing
access to files because the installer violated their usage policy. Not all
admins will want even Power Users messing with nView settings. Have you
checked the PDF that comes with the drivers you installed to see if there is
anything mentioned about file security settings during installation? If
there isn't then maybe you could make nVidia aware of their shortcomings in
documentation, but if it is then this is just a case of not reading the
releases notes first.

Dan