A7N8X can't access bios setup at all, hangs at "WARNING!! CPU HAVE BEEN CHANGED"

Old July 19th 03, 03:54 PM
John Q Public

Default A7N8X can't access bios setup at all, hangs at "WARNING!! CPU HAVE BEEN CHANGED"

New A7N8X Deluxe hangs at post: "WARNING!! CPU HAVE BEEN CHANGED"

Replaced an A7m266 that was running fine for about 3 1/2 years. Have
the XP2100 CPU, 400 Watt power supply Antec, 512 ram pc2100.

pressing DEL will not even let me update/enter the bios setup.

Tried clearing CMOS, and now I get...

"CMOS checksum error- Defaultsloaded"

and then...

"The system was not correctly shut down and is
working in safe mode speed, please press DEL to BIOS setup table to
set correct CPU speed"

BUT I STILL can't access the damn BIOS. Tried holding DEL down as I
power up-nothing. Just locks up at the above mantioned error message.
ALT-F2 won't boot off a Win98 startup floppy even, so I can't even
flash the BIOS if I wanted to because I can't even get to an A:\
prompt.
Old July 19th 03, 06:41 PM
jvc23

I know, it's a dumb question, but do you have the keyboard and mouse
switched? The keyboard plugged into the mouse port and the mouse into the
keyboard port??

JVC

Old July 19th 03, 06:46 PM
Alan

I had exactly the same board and the same upgrade, only an AMD 2000.

The same problems occured on my board and was corrected when I changed my
memory.
What memory do you have? I was using Samsung (recommend list by Asus), but
when I changed to OCZ my problem was gone.

However you might want to check the heat compound between your processor and
heatsink. Make sure you have only a very slight amount of arctic silver,
and work the seating of the heatsink to the processor. This will make a
huge difference in the temps.

By the way, I still find my A7M266 board to process renderings faster than
the A7N8X, even though the processor is only a Athlon1200.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Alan