FX5900 - what is an acceptable benchmark result?

Old January 4th 04, 09:38 AM
Ben Nealon

Default FX5900 - what is an acceptable benchmark result?

Hi,
I have just finally upgraded my system by purchasing a video card. The
machine as it stands now is:

AMD Athlon xp 2700+ 333Fsb
Abit NF7-S with nforce 2 chipset
1GB DDR 400 RAM
ASUS Geforce FX 5900 (V9950) 128mb
Windows XP Professional with SP 1

before i upgraded the graphcis card a benchamrk with 3D mark 03 was giving
me about 900 marks (with a geforce3 ti 200); after upgrading i now get a
more respectable 2755 marks.
When i comapred this mark online the lowest mark that someone else with
identical system got was about the 3000 - 4000 region! Why am i not getting
these high performance scores?

I am currently running on ASUS own graphics card drivers at version 44.03.
Would upgrading my drivers see a better performance? if so what drivers
should i use? [version and Nvidia or asus versions?]

Thanking you in advance,

Ben Nealon
P.S - is it adviseable to re-install teh nforce2 chipset drivers when
upgrading a video card?

Old January 4th 04, 09:41 AM
Andrew

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 09:38:20 -0000, "Ben Nealon"
wrote:

When i comapred this mark online the lowest mark that someone else with
identical system got was about the 3000 - 4000 region! Why am i not getting
these high performance scores?

Have you got FSAA/AF/V-Sync enabled?
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old January 5th 04, 12:17 PM
Bogdan

william bell wrote:

My new Cheap Gigabyte FX 5900XT with a P4c 2.4 all none tweaked, gives
5402 with 3Dmark3 340.

Very impressive. With P4C 2.8 / 1G DDR PC3200 / MSI FX5900 driver
53.03 I can only get around 4500 using 3DMark2003 340 at standard and
a little under 5000 at max stable overclock (450/950).

Old January 6th 04, 03:15 AM
Bogdan

william bell wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 12:17:18 GMT, Bogdan wrote:
william bell wrote:

My new Cheap Gigabyte FX 5900XT with a P4c 2.4 all none tweaked, gives
5402 with 3Dmark3 340.

Very impressive. With P4C 2.8 / 1G DDR PC3200 / MSI FX5900 driver
53.03 I can only get around 4500 using 3DMark2003 340 at standard and
a little under 5000 at max stable overclock (450/950).

Note: this is only 400/700 speed card so what is wrong with yours...?
53.03 drivers and XP home..
Gigabyte GA-8I875 Ultra mobo & 2x 256 megs of ram running dual channel..

ASUS P4P800 DELUXE-UAYZ, W2K SP4, 2x512 dual channel CAS 2..
Card default clocks are at 400/850 as you know.

Everything seems to be running OK so I have no idea why mine's so much
lower. Aquamark3 gives me 36300 at standard clocks.

Old January 7th 04, 09:44 AM
Bogdan

william bell wrote:

Also I do not have any background task running like Virus checkers, e-mail
checks as they can scan every run file, and the Firewall is set to disable any
traffic when I do any tests..

So only a few (4) icons in my system tray at all.

I ran it both under normal operation and with minimum running
processes (no AV, no network..etc) and there isn't any real difference
whatsoever.

My guess at this point is that either 1) AMD based systems and MOBO's
drastically outperform Intel ones or 2) This particular graphics card
is rather poor. Almost all FX5900 scores I have seen are from AMD
systems and even the substantially "slower" CPU/memory configs
outperform mine.