2 USB scanners in XP, need workaround

Old November 25th 03, 05:29 AM
david

Default 2 USB scanners in XP, need workaround

hi all,

understood that XP doesn't suppot 2 USB scanners, unfortunately too
late for me since I have already purchased the 2nd one and will need
both, one for dedicated scanning and one for casual scanning and
printing (all-in-one). I can currently plug and unplug the device and
reboot to switch devices, does anyone have a workaround so that at
least I don't have to reboot? I guess I can deal with the
plug/unplug, but having to reboot every time is crazy.

thanks

david
Old November 25th 03, 10:04 AM
DaveG

Not sure what your problem is. I have 2 usb scanners connected all the time
and have not had a single problem!!
Perhaps you have a driver problem.

Dave G

om...

Old November 25th 03, 11:22 AM
Major Malfunction

"david" wrote in message
om...
hi all,

understood that XP doesn't suppot 2 USB scanners, unfortunately too
late for me since I have already purchased the 2nd one and will need
both, one for dedicated scanning and one for casual scanning and
printing (all-in-one). I can currently plug and unplug the device and
reboot to switch devices, does anyone have a workaround so that at
least I don't have to reboot? I guess I can deal with the
plug/unplug, but having to reboot every time is crazy.

I don't know why you need to reboot. Are you unplugging correctly or just
unplugging? On the bottom right of your taskbar there should be an icon for
connected devices. You need to double click it, select the device you want
to stop, stop it, then unplug the device. When you plug a new device in, it
will automatically recognize the device.

As someone else asked, why can't you have them both on line at the same
time? Do you have a shortage of available USB ports? I know some scanner
vendors say you can not connect through a USB hub, but for well under US$50
you can add a brand name card for additional USB ports. Many local stores
carry 4 and 6 port add-on cards in that price range. Since these use a PCI
slot on the mainboard, they are not recognized as hubs, but are considered
native ports by any hardware.

Old November 26th 03, 05:10 AM
david

Dear both,

this is the error that I have and the microsoft documentation about
it.... http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324756
both my scanners are USB, I have enough usb port, just that they don't
work at the same time, because they are competing for the same
usbscan.sys file. I tried unplugging and plugging but didn't work and
have to reboot.

any other ideas? I am interested in DavidG's set up, would you share
a little more, on the model of the scanners, OS, etc.? are you using
both as USB or through SCSI?

thanks.

david

Old November 26th 03, 02:03 PM
Randy Lane

For all of you but David,

The error is only for Windows XP. In XP, the USBSCAN.SYS driver will
only allow one device at a time to be connected.
There are no "setups" that will allow to do anything different than
unplugging one and plugging in the other. And Microsoft to this day
has never given a hint whether they will fix this.

David,

Does your all-in-one possibly have a parrallel connector too? If so,
you could connect the all-in-one to the parrallel port and the
dedicated scanner-only to a USB port. That was my solution. But,
because the PC had no parrallel port, I had to buy a PCI card (for
that, go to www.lavalink.com).

The problem could be your scanning software. It would not be
unthinkable that the scanner installs a service-like program that
remains in memory at all times waiting for you to use the device. It
probably does not have enough "sense" to know when the device is
connected and when it is not connected.

Try doing the unplug/plug in routine, and then use s third party
program, like Photoshop or some other photo editting software, to
acquire an image.
Or, read the documentation with you scanner about manually starting
the scanner software.
Beyond that, makes and models would probably be helpful if that
doesn't work.

Old November 26th 03, 08:16 PM
Major Malfunction

"Randy Lane" wrote in message
om...
For all of you but David,

The error is only for Windows XP. In XP, the USBSCAN.SYS driver will
only allow one device at a time to be connected.
There are no "setups" that will allow to do anything different than
unplugging one and plugging in the other. And Microsoft to this day
has never given a hint whether they will fix this.

I followed you link to Microsoft about the problem. Very interesting,

especially since the XP Resource kit makes no mention of this issue. Have
you tried stopping the device prior to unplugging it? This won't change
being able to use only one at a time, but it should prevent the need to
reboot. BTW, MS gives the following link for USB Resources:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/resekits/webresources

Maybe there is something there to help you.

Old November 27th 03, 09:07 PM
DaveG

Hi David,

One is an Epson Perfection 1250, USB 1. The other one is a HP Scanjet 5550C,
USB2.
Both are connected directly to ports on the PC.
OS is Win XP Pro.
They are both permanently connected and can be used as required without any
re-booting.
Perhaps the reason both of mine work is that the HP is USB2????

Have never had any problems with either.
Hope you get to the bottom of the problem.
Dave

Old December 2nd 03, 03:49 AM
david

Dear all,

just want to post the latest findings so others can reference.

I have an Epson 3170 and a Lexmark X83 all in one. What I have done
is downloaded the latest firmware and driver for the lexmark and the
Epson. After that, turning the device off will get it to release the
driver in memory. So the 2 devices are connected at all time, I just
have to turn them on and off, depending on which one I need to use.
And this can avoid having to reboot. while not the best solution, I
am much happier with it. Thanks all for your input.

david

Old December 14th 03, 12:32 PM
Griff

Hi all
I use two scanners in my machine both usb 1 and on xp home no problems at
all one is cannon lide 30 and one epson (cant think of its model and i'm not
at home right now ) also I take out epson and change it for black widow for
special work still all OK
Griff

Old December 15th 03, 11:36 AM
Major Malfunction

"Griff" wrote in message
Hi all
I use two scanners in my machine both usb 1 and on xp home no problems at
all one is cannon lide 30 and one epson (cant think of its model and i'm

not
at home right now ) also I take out epson and change it for black widow

for
special work still all OK
Griff

IIRC this person's circumstances are that one of the devices is an
all-in-one and the other is a scanner. I think the all-in-one is what
creates the special problem they are seeing.