"Print Server" for Canon MP 530 that supports scanning

Old July 15th 07, 09:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Andy Hamilton

Default "Print Server" for Canon MP 530 that supports scanning

I originally posted this question in a printer newsgroup, but didn't
get much useful info. I'm hoping that someone in this group would be
able to help me here.

I recently bought an Canon MP 530 multi-function device that includes
copying, printing, faxing, and scanning. The MP 530 includes an ADF
with a capacity of 30 pages. I would like to put this device on my
home network, so that faxing and scanning would be available from any
system.

Since the MP 520 supports USB 2, I restricted my search to print
servers that claim multi-function device support with USB 2. I found
only four print servers that have USB 2.0 for MFCs. Will any of these
devices support network scanning and faxing? I assume they all
support network printing.

- IOGear 2 port USB 2.0 Print/Storage server GMFPSU22W6. $140, from
CDW or $129 from B&H Photo.

-IOGear 1 port USB 2.0 print server GMFPSU21W6. $100, from B&H Photo,
available in August.

- Xterasys XP-111MFP Server. $44, from newegg.

-DLink RangeBooster G Multifunction USB Print Server. $84, from
Newegg.

I am familiar with IOGear and DLink but I never heard of Xterasys.
They are not in any of the local stores. Does anyone know about them
or the quality of their products? Are there any other manufacturers
who make a USB 2.0 print server for MFC devices?

Also, I found several references to "WIA" including one on Microsoft
that calls it a client-server architecture. If any of the devices
above have WIA support, is this a guarantee of success? The MP 530
has an option to install WIA drivers instead of TWAIN drivers.

Thanks

AH
Old July 15th 07, 05:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

"Andy Hamilton" wrote in message
[...]

There is almost no way to scan via the network. There is software that
claims scanning via the network.

Just think about the problem, You need somebody at the scanner to load the
documents, even with a document feeder.

This is the only software I have ever heard of that claims to run a scanner
over the network. I don't know of anyone that says it actually works.

http://www.share-scanner.com/

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old July 15th 07, 06:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Cari

The D-Link DPR1260 specifically says it should be able to scan over the
network.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=482

Although I don't have any print servers, I do use the DIR655 wireless router
and all the wireless PCs have D-Link PCMCIA cards. The desktop PCs have
10/100/1000 NICs.. again, all D-Link.

The moment I tried D-Link, I dumped all my Linksys gear.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Old July 15th 07, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Andy Hamilton

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:15:24 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

There is almost no way to scan via the network. There is software that
claims scanning via the network.

Just think about the problem, You need somebody at the scanner to load the
documents, even with a document feeder.

This is for a home office network where there are two systems in then
same room as the Canon MP 530 MFC. The MFC is within arm's reach of
one system and only a few steps away from the other. And with the
ADF, the problem is minimized anyway.

The reason for going through all this is so that the printer can be
directly on the network, even for the other home office systems that
aren't in the same room. The same goes for outgoing faxes. Beats
having faxmodem cards in each system, freeing up slots and simplifying
the phone wiring.

This is the only software I have ever heard of that claims to run a scanner
over the network. I don't know of anyone that says it actually works.

http://www.share-scanner.com/

I just looked at this product. Obviously intended for large
workgroups or entire companies. At $220 minimum, that would cost more
than I spent on the Canon MP 530.

Andy

Old July 15th 07, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Andy Hamilton

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:57:16 -0700, "Cari"
wrote:

The D-Link DPR1260 specifically says it should be able to scan over the
network.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=482

Although I don't have any print servers, I do use the DIR655 wireless router
and all the wireless PCs have D-Link PCMCIA cards. The desktop PCs have
10/100/1000 NICs.. again, all D-Link.

The moment I tried D-Link, I dumped all my Linksys gear.

Thanks. Since the D-Link print server is sold by Newegg, I read the
reviews. They are very mixed about the scanning functionality. One
of the reviews mentioned a Linksys print server, so I did some
additional searching and discovered that indeed Linksys does have a
similar device sold by Newegg and it too has mixed reviews. Can you
comment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...size=10&Page=4

thanks.

Andy
Old July 15th 07, 09:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Andy Hamilton

I did some searching around on the Linksys and D-Link websites.

Here is a compatibility list published by Linksys. Note that it is
silent about 64-bit versions of Windows:

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...B05#winvist a.
(scroll up)

My Canon MP 530 isn't listed but a whole bunch of other Canon MP
printers are listed and they all have scan and fax compatibility.

On the D-Link website I found this compatibly list for _printing
only_. My MP 530 is listed:

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2707.

The only MFC devices that are supported for scanning or faxing are
from HP or Epson:

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.as...stion=DPR-1260.

So much for this D-Link device. I guess I just saved myself a few
hours of grief here.

Going back to one of my original questions, has anyone heard of
Xterasys? Their product is certainly inexpensive compared to the
others, but does it work????

Andy