* DFI LANParty nForce4 boards vs ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?

Old March 19th 05, 04:46 PM
JF Fortier

Default * DFI LANParty nForce4 boards vs ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?

Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge Asus
has in this comparison?

Old March 19th 05, 06:10 PM
Augustus

"JF Fortier" wrote in message
Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge
Asus has in this comparison?

DFI has been around a long time. Since 1981. I can remember using DFI boards
putting together PII 333 systems over 7 years ago. Good overclockers as I
recall. Good boards, as good as Asus.

Old March 19th 05, 07:57 PM
Cuzman

"JF Fortier" wrote in message

" Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge
Asus has in this comparison? "

DFI have gained a lot of popularity over the last few years. Their LANParty
motherboards regularly top the overclocking leagues, and the UV-sensitive
materials are a favourite with case-modders.

The LANParty nF4 SLi-DR is at the top of a shopping list for my new system.
http://www.dfi.com.tw/index_us_noflash.jsp?SITE=US

Old March 19th 05, 08:22 PM
JF Fortier

"Cuzman" wrote in message
"JF Fortier" wrote in message

" Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge
Asus has in this comparison? "

DFI have gained a lot of popularity over the last few years. Their
LANParty motherboards regularly top the overclocking leagues, and the
UV-sensitive materials are a favourite with case-modders.

So if you are neither an overclocker or a case-modder, then you'd best go
with the more popular Asus brand, right? (Given the likelyhood of there
being more people to help you out if you encounter any problems with it.)

Old March 19th 05, 10:18 PM
J. Clarke

JF Fortier wrote:

Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge
Asus has in this comparison?

I remember working in a hole in the wall computer store building '286
systems from components the owner bought from God knows where. They all
came through white-box no-name. One thing we noticed though was that some
of the boards had unusually shaped stickers on them containing the letters
"QC". We started calling them "QC boards" and were happy to see them
because we never had a problem with them. Some years later I encountered
my first DFI product that came labelled as "DFI". And there on the board
was one of those oddly shaped "QC" stickers.

So they've been around going on 20 years. Always rock-solid. They just
haven't been widely known as a brand because they didn't market to end
users until recently.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old March 19th 05, 10:58 PM
Chachi

J. Clarke wrote:
JF Fortier wrote:

Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge
Asus has in this comparison?

I remember working in a hole in the wall computer store building '286
systems from components the owner bought from God knows where. They all
came through white-box no-name. One thing we noticed though was that some
of the boards had unusually shaped stickers on them containing the letters
"QC". We started calling them "QC boards" and were happy to see them
because we never had a problem with them. Some years later I encountered
my first DFI product that came labelled as "DFI". And there on the board
was one of those oddly shaped "QC" stickers.

lol... "QC" usually means "Quality Checked"
You'll find them on *alot* of things...

Old March 20th 05, 06:33 AM
J. Clarke

Chachi wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
JF Fortier wrote:

Never heard of DFI. Asus is a trusted brand name. Is that the only edge
Asus has in this comparison?

I remember working in a hole in the wall computer store building '286
systems from components the owner bought from God knows where. They all
came through white-box no-name. One thing we noticed though was that
some of the boards had unusually shaped stickers on them containing the
letters
"QC". We started calling them "QC boards" and were happy to see them
because we never had a problem with them. Some years later I encountered
my first DFI product that came labelled as "DFI". And there on the board
was one of those oddly shaped "QC" stickers.

lol... "QC" usually means "Quality Checked"
You'll find them on *alot* of things...

Not with those same odd-shaped stickers you won't. Only place I've ever
seen them is on DFI. And it's not "Quality Checked", it's "Quality
Control".

Old March 20th 05, 12:42 PM
Chachi

J. Clarke wrote:

[...]