Overclocking underclocker?

Old September 18th 03, 08:18 PM
Gaz

Default Overclocking underclocker?

Guys... listen, I'm a tad confused. Here's my situation:

I buy an AMD 2400 XP to put onto my crappy 2 year old PC Chips
motherboard. The thing reports the CPU as 2.2Ghz on both bios boot-up
and XP boot-up. The computer does a hard restart every few minutes or
so when XP was running.

I stick it into my much newer motherboard (but still crappy). It
reports it as being a 2800 XP and at 2.2Ghz. Runs fine, a bit hot but
the cooling system is hopelessly inadequate anyway.

I run Sisoft Sandra and perform a CPU Arithmetic benchmark thingy. It
just nudges past the performance it expects of a 3200. It reports the
CPU as a 2800 at 2.2ghz by the way.

The model number on the chip says AXDA2400DKT3C.

What's going on? I've not performed any overclocking procedures - at
least not to my knowledge! Please excuse my ignorance of all things
hardware and of any netiquette around these parts.

Gaz

Old September 19th 03, 06:10 AM
E_\\_¼__½__¾__F

If you are able, try to get into your bios and load setup defaults.
if it still reports a 2800+ then you coulda got lucky with a mistake
amd made. I'd then recommend a better cooling system to stop the auto
rebooting perhaps. my opinion. hope it helps.

Old September 19th 03, 03:31 PM
S.Heenan

Gaz wrote:
Guys... listen, I'm a tad confused. Here's my situation:

I buy an AMD 2400 XP to put onto my crappy 2 year old PC Chips
motherboard. The thing reports the CPU as 2.2Ghz on both bios boot-up
and XP boot-up. The computer does a hard restart every few minutes or
so when XP was running.

I stick it into my much newer motherboard (but still crappy). It
reports it as being a 2800 XP and at 2.2Ghz. Runs fine, a bit hot but
the cooling system is hopelessly inadequate anyway.

I run Sisoft Sandra and perform a CPU Arithmetic benchmark thingy. It
just nudges past the performance it expects of a 3200. It reports the
CPU as a 2800 at 2.2ghz by the way.

The model number on the chip says AXDA2400DKT3C.

That's a 133MHz(266DDR) T-Bred B core model XP2400+. Stock speed is 133MHz
FSB with a 15x multiplier for ~2000MHz. Review the motherboard manual for
each board and make the appropriate changes. Odd models are displayed
because it's running faster than stock and/or the BIOS version does not
"read" the ID of the new processors. This is nothing to worry about. When
you've made the changes, download CPU-Z or WCPUID to verify those changes.

www.h-oda.com

www.cpuid.com

--
Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated