Mis-representation ?

Old December 15th 03, 07:51 PM
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Pip
writes

Tell you what - you want this, you do:

Oh, *beautiful*. That has to go to the Reg or the Inq.

--
A. Top posters.

Old December 15th 03, 07:52 PM
Dr Zoidberg

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
I bid on it because there`s a
chance (a slim one now I must admit) that it is a perfectly
functioning board just needing the right drivers.

How is the chance of it now working any slimmer than it was when you
bid on it?

Becuase this particular board is so prone to the corruption problem
the original problem his friend had may well have been the corruption
problem. However usually its from the BIOS screen and I would have
thought he would of noticed and mentioned it but maybe not.

When I first bid on it I did not know of this fact.

So I say again , what has changed since the time you placed the bid?

--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk

Old December 15th 03, 07:55 PM
Nick Le Lievre

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
I bid on it because there`s a
chance (a slim one now I must admit) that it is a perfectly
functioning board just needing the right drivers.

How is the chance of it now working any slimmer than it was when you
bid on it?

Becuase this particular board is so prone to the corruption problem
the original problem his friend had may well have been the corruption
problem. However usually its from the BIOS screen and I would have
thought he would of noticed and mentioned it but maybe not.

When I first bid on it I did not know of this fact.

So I say again , what has changed since the time you placed the bid?

Mainly my knowledge of this particular model of the card and the likelyhood
of it being just being a driver installation problem which from the
description it would appear to be (ignoring the words not working and
faulty for which there is no explanation apart from the drivers not loading
which could be becuase of a number of things).

Old December 15th 03, 08:13 PM
Nick Le Lievre

"binaries_freak" wrote in message
The seller has sold the card as "Not working", "Faulty", how much more
honest can the description be ?

I could see your point had these words been excluded from the auction, but
they weren't.

If he wanted to tell porkies why would he include the above words, do you
think it was to add value to his auction ??

No he added them to the auction becuase he could not load the drivers on the
2 systems he tried it on therefore he could only assume it was faulty it was
certainly not working for him. He could not of sold it w/o those knowing he
could never get the drivers loaded.

Thats as long as he`s being honest which I suspect he is and there is no
corruption on screen in which case using the driver routine is a ploy to
make it sound like he ain`t got a clue.

Old December 15th 03, 08:14 PM
Chris 159

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
d...
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:31:17 -0000
"Chris 159" wrote:

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
Hi;

I bought this item on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2769544 2
41
on the basis of the information given which is the PCs recognise the
card but will not load the drivers. I have not recieved the card yet
but I`m starting to worry that I have not been given an honest
auction description as it would appear to be.

The most common genuine "fault" with these Creative Ti4400 cards is
bad

ram
which is obvious from the screen corruption there is no mention of
screen corruption in the auction description - so a correct
representation would not mention screen corruption which it does
not. However there is a possibility that the screen corruption only
occurs once the drivers have loaded giving him a great reason to
pretend he could not get the drivers loaded.

This auction

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=27 3
87
clearly states the problem I`m referring too and I would not have
bid on

it.

I have seen screen corruption on my own Ti4200 when you overclock
the graphics memory too high this is only possible when the drivers
are loaded obviously - maybe I will be able to clock the memory
lower slowing down

the
card as a way around it - but I feel that if screen corruption
occurs it will be obvious to me when I test it and that I have a
right to feel cheated.

As I say don`t actually have the item yet - whats your view ?

the word **** springs to mind.

I am curious--what does "****" mean in the UK? In the US it is rude
term for the female genitalia.

it is over here too

Old December 15th 03, 08:21 PM
NDF

"Chris 159" wrote:

[...]

this is the very same card that you was arguing the toss with
everybody about for quite some time, insisting that its only a driver
fault isnt it ?

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

**** in the UK can mean many things namely :

Arsehol
Idiot
Thick

etc .... (add your own here)

I think either can apply in this case, but I must be honest, I think the US
meaning is way more accurate for this guy.

Old December 15th 03, 08:25 PM
NDF

"as mellow as a horse" wrote in message
[...]

I sold a ti4600 on ebay in similar circumstances. I even mentioned that

it
had corruption right from the BIOS screen, yet I still got £50 for it!

I've
also been screwed by people selling stuff as "untested" (cough!), but at
least this guy is upfront. The usual spiel for such items is "we found
the[se] item[s] at the back of the stock cupboard/bought from a bankrupt
business, and haven't had time to test them"

You say somewhere that you would not be happy if the board had

corruption
from booting as mine did. Did you ask before you bought it?

And if it doesn't work just sell it on! I'm sure we'll all be watching

make sure YOU describe it properly!

Yeah but he doesn`t mention corruption right from the BIOS screen in which
case I would not have touched. I bid on it because there`s a chance (a

slim
one now I must admit) that it is a perfectly functioning board just

needing
the right drivers. Corruption isn`t mentioned in the description so
corruption shouldn`t be there - to have it and not mention it would make

it
more sellable becuase corruption means its 100% no possible other
explanation knackered.

Have you bothered to read eBay's Terms and Conditions ?

If you go here :

http://help.ebay.co.uk/ikanisa/viewg...Search&docID=K
C.en_UK_F_help_F_confidence_F_items_H_description_ D_html&dialogID=113346449&
iterationID=1&sessionID=anonymous|113342766&locale =en_UK&url=http://pages.eb
ay.co.uk/help/confidence/items-description.html

And you read and I quote : "Avoid making assumptions about details that
aren't included. If in doubt, ask the seller a question."

Now I assume you can read the above sentences and hope that you are able to
understand them, as you clearly have difficulty reading the English
Language, is this also the fault of the seller ?

Old December 15th 03, 08:48 PM
Hoot!!!

The card is bust so...
sell it on ebay
plenty of idiots buy faulty things.

Have a merry xmas all and drunk new year!!

Old December 15th 03, 08:54 PM
Gizmo

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message

Yeah but he doesn`t mention corruption right from the BIOS screen in which
case I would not have touched. I bid on it because there`s a chance (a

slim
one now I must admit) that it is a perfectly functioning board just

needing
the right drivers. Corruption isn`t mentioned in the description so
corruption shouldn`t be there - to have it and not mention it would make

it
more sellable becuase corruption means its 100% no possible other
explanation knackered.

IF the corruption thing is so important to you, why didnt you use "ask the
seller a question" ?

Old December 15th 03, 08:55 PM
Nick Le Lievre

"Hoot!!!" (nospam) wrote in message
The card is bust so...
sell it on ebay
plenty of idiots buy faulty things.

Have a merry xmas all and drunk new year!!

Yeah I know I could put it back on eBay but I don`t believe in selling known
faulty items. I don`t believe in buying them either but the wording on this
particular auction was thus as too make it look like it was only faulty
becuase he couldn`t install the drivers on 2 different systems - its either
the card or the drivers - most likely the drivers but then one would assume
it was faulty with his mate for some other reason - ie screen corruption.