GA-MA790X-DS4 Question

Old May 14th 08, 04:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Murray McNeill[_2_]

Default GA-MA790X-DS4 Question

Trying to get the GA-MA790X-DS4 board set up, and am having an issue with my
hard drives and the SB600 raid controller. I have two older Western
Digital drives in a RAID 0 configuration, but I cannot use the F4 BIOS with
them. I did get a stripe configured and working with the F3 BIOS, which
uses version 2.5x of the RAID controller code, but when I flash to the F4
BIOS, the RAID controller code version changes to 3.6x, and the machine
won't go past the message that indicates healthy stripe detected. It should
give the prompt for Ctrl F to enter RAID setup, but it just hangs.

Is it possible my drives are using some older version of SATA commands and
don't respond appropriately to commands from this new version of RAID
controller code?

I also tried wiping all partition information and initializing the stripe
with unformatted drives with the F4 BIOS, but even that failed. Drives are
seen by the F4 BIOS when the controller is in legacy IDE mode, but that's
not what I want.

Should also mention that these drives are WD Caviar 160 gig models, 7200RPM,
with the 2 Meg cache, so, not that out of date.

Thank you for any insights or suggestions