Cost-effective Quad core system

Old May 13th 08, 11:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
R[_3_]

Default Cost-effective Quad core system

I've been trying to configure a second system using PCI boards. Since
I'll need as many slots as possible, the GA-P35-S3G was recommended.
(I haven't been able to locate a similar ASUS board---does anything
exist?)

I'd be using the system for downloads, background processing, etc. so
I'm considering:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3G LGA 775 $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=GA-P35-DS3
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz $220
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 (PC2 8500) $80

A couple points that I'd like to clarify:

Does anyone make equivalent RAM in 2GB package? It would be nice to
save the other two slots.

Any compelling reason to go with the Quad Q9300 Yorkfield? It's $280,
and I didn't think the faster FSB would merit that. But not sure.

AND...I have Matrox P650 AGP video cards. I'm not a gamer, so I don't
need anything faster. And the P650 occupies only one slot, and doesn't
need a fan. Unfortunately the Gigabyte motherboard does not have an
AGP slot. Anything come to mind re video boards?

Random speculation welcome.

PS: The only AGP-based motherboards that I found for Quad were ASRock.
I have no idea what to expect there. Plus I think their RAM maxes out
at 2GB.
Old May 14th 08, 03:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Wesley[_3_]

I've been trying to configure a second system using PCI boards. Since
I'll need as many slots as possible, the GA-P35-S3G was recommended.
(I haven't been able to locate a similar ASUS board---does anything
exist?)

I'd be using the system for downloads, background processing, etc. so
I'm considering:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3G LGA 775 $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=GA-P35-DS3

Yeah I like this mobo too but no longer sales in many my local shops...even
online shop not have anymore...I think outdate already...

Old May 14th 08, 07:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

R wrote:
[...]

Is this the Gigabyte board with the five PCI slots you were interested in ?
It looks like it is still in stock. (GA-P35-S3G $75)

The best overclocking bang for bucks, is supposed to be the Q6600.
The Q9300 is FSB1333, so not as much room to overclock it. The
Q6600 G0 draws 95W, so it'll get a bit warm. The Q9300 appears
to be the same power rating.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLAWE (Q9300)
http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLACR (Q6600)

You can buy 2GB sized modules - just look through the Newegg memory
listing for some.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubcategory=147

Paul
Old May 14th 08, 10:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
R[_3_]

On Wed, 14 May 2008 02:49:36 -0400, Paul wrote:

R wrote:
I've been trying to configure a second system using PCI boards. Since
I'll need as many slots as possible, the GA-P35-S3G was recommended.
(I haven't been able to locate a similar ASUS board---does anything
exist?)

Does anyone make equivalent RAM in 2GB package? It would be nice to
save the other two slots.

Is this the Gigabyte board with the five PCI slots you were interested in ?
It looks like it is still in stock. (GA-P35-S3G $75)

Yes, in fact it is, Paul. I had posted the wrong URL.

I'm also starting to think that I may be able to get by without as
many normal PCI slots, as the new boards have gigabit ethernet, lots
of USB ports, etc. So I may opt for 3 PCI + a few PCI-e's.

That would also put things back in the park for Asus, which is the
brand I've used for years. Not sure how Giigabyte compares.

The best overclocking bang for bucks, is supposed to be the Q6600.
The Q9300 is FSB1333, so not as much room to overclock it. The
Q6600 G0 draws 95W, so it'll get a bit warm. The Q9300 appears
to be the same power rating.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLAWE (Q9300)
http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLACR (Q6600)

Slightly more cache on the Q6600 too. I'm not an overclocker, but I
guess the 6600 is more cost-effective anyway. Nice to know that
there's something in reserve if I need it.

You can buy 2GB sized modules - just look through the Newegg memory
listing for some.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubcategory=147

Thanks. Looks like Newegg makes a good search engine. g

Any opinions on the lower cost RAM? I think your page indicates that
would be Mushkin vs OCZ vs Geil. Unless you do this constantly, it's
tough to relate specs for timing and voltage, etc back to real-world
performance. If there's a difference in reliability, that's generally
the thing that tips the scales for me. But all three of those brands
have good reviews on that page.

Old May 14th 08, 11:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

R wrote:

Thanks. Looks like Newegg makes a good search engine. g

Any opinions on the lower cost RAM? I think your page indicates that
would be Mushkin vs OCZ vs Geil. Unless you do this constantly, it's
tough to relate specs for timing and voltage, etc back to real-world
performance. If there's a difference in reliability, that's generally
the thing that tips the scales for me. But all three of those brands
have good reviews on that page.

About all I can suggest, is to check the customer reviews. That
will give some idea as to how many DOA sticks there were, or
early problems with errors and the like.

If I needed more user feedback, I might have a look here.
If their search engine is not working, you can always use
an external search engine that supports domain specific searches.
(The one I use, is the second link.)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/

http://www.altavista.com/web/adv

Paul

Old May 19th 08, 01:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
R[_3_]

Default Asus vs Gigabyte

Not trying to start a bar fight. I was ready to buy a new Asus
motherboard, but noticed some comments about them on some of the tech
sites. Looks like Asus has a bit of smoke in the cockpit as of late.

Some say that Gigabyte is now a better bet (yeah, it's always a
gamble), but to be fair, I've seen other comments that say "Asus is
getting as bad as Gigabyte."

Again, I know I'm just playing the odds, but is there any truth in
comments about Gigabyte having any edge in quality of components,
etc.?
Old May 19th 08, 02:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Tim S.[_3_]

"R" wrote in message
Not trying to start a bar fight. I was ready to buy a new Asus
motherboard, but noticed some comments about them on some of the tech
sites. Looks like Asus has a bit of smoke in the cockpit as of late.

Some say that Gigabyte is now a better bet (yeah, it's always a
gamble), but to be fair, I've seen other comments that say "Asus is
getting as bad as Gigabyte."

Again, I know I'm just playing the odds, but is there any truth in
comments about Gigabyte having any edge in quality of components,
etc.?

I've had both and currently running a Gigabyte Ga-P35-DS4 rev 2.0 and to be
honest I think both have their problems. I think I'm going to try DFI next.
I have heard some really positive things about both DFI and EVGA.

Good Luck
Tim

Old May 19th 08, 03:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
R[_3_]

On Sun, 18 May 2008 18:34:31 -0700, "Tim S." wrote:

"R" wrote in message
.. .
Not trying to start a bar fight. I was ready to buy a new Asus
motherboard, but noticed some comments about them on some of the tech
sites. Looks like Asus has a bit of smoke in the cockpit as of late.

Some say that Gigabyte is now a better bet (yeah, it's always a
gamble), but to be fair, I've seen other comments that say "Asus is
getting as bad as Gigabyte."

Again, I know I'm just playing the odds, but is there any truth in
comments about Gigabyte having any edge in quality of components,
etc.?

I've had both and currently running a Gigabyte Ga-P35-DS4 rev 2.0 and to be
honest I think both have their problems. I think I'm going to try DFI next.
I have heard some really positive things about both DFI and EVGA.

Good Luck
Tim

That doesn't sound promising. I've used Asus for many years, and
always had faith in their quality. Now they seem to be trending toward
the same mass-produced low-quality that characterized their
competition in the past. You have to wonder why they would not try to
maintain their distinct spot in the marketplace.

I was hoping to choose by feature set, but the comments about quality
lapse of Asus put a different spin on things. Given the disastrous
consequences of motherboard failure, I will definitely spend more for
some insurance. And forego a few ports or whatever.

So, are DFI and EVGA the way to go? Anyone?

Old May 19th 08, 03:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Tim S.[_3_]

"R" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 18 May 2008 18:34:31 -0700, "Tim S." wrote:

"R" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Check out the Motherboard reviews on www.newegg.com Maybe that could ease
some of your fears.

Tim

Old May 19th 08, 08:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Monty[_3_]

"Tim S." wrote:

"R" wrote in message
.. .
Not trying to start a bar fight. I was ready to buy a new Asus
motherboard, but noticed some comments about them on some of the tech
sites. Looks like Asus has a bit of smoke in the cockpit as of late.

Some say that Gigabyte is now a better bet (yeah, it's always a
gamble), but to be fair, I've seen other comments that say "Asus is
getting as bad as Gigabyte."

Again, I know I'm just playing the odds, but is there any truth in
comments about Gigabyte having any edge in quality of components,
etc.?

I've had both and currently running a Gigabyte Ga-P35-DS4 rev 2.0 and to be
honest I think both have their problems.

I am running the same board with an Intel 6750 and have had no
problems in 6 months. Would you care to describe the problems with
the Gigabyte board that you are aware of?

Monty