New Build

Old May 10th 08, 10:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Norm

Default New Build

video and sound sometimes zittery inmost games

P5E/E8400, 4 gig memory, 9800gtx 512k, vista home-prem 64bitT

Old May 11th 08, 02:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Norm wrote:
video and sound sometimes zittery inmost games

P5E/E8400, 4 gig memory, 9800gtx 512k, vista home-prem 64bitT

How's that working out for you?
Old May 11th 08, 03:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Norm

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Norm wrote:
video and sound sometimes zittery inmost games

P5E/E8400, 4 gig memory, 9800gtx 512k, vista home-prem 64bitT

How's that working out for you?

zittery = jittery

Old May 11th 08, 05:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Norm wrote:

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Norm wrote:
video and sound sometimes zittery inmost games

P5E/E8400, 4 gig memory, 9800gtx 512k, vista home-prem 64bitT

How's that working out for you?

zittery = jittery

Have a look at the thread here. When you get a dual core,
there is a patch to install. Not everyone finds the whole
procedure helps, but it may make a difference.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60416

Before you try any of that, another thing you can try, is
to set the "affinity" of a sound player program, to a single
core. If you use control-alt-delete and open Task Manager,
there should be an option to set some stuff per process.
Affinity controls which core a program runs on. When a program
is launched on a dual core, both tick boxes will be checked,
and the program can bounce from core to core. Some games
don't like this. You can either use the Task Manager, after
the program is started, or you can use one of many
programs that launch a program and set the affinity to a single
core for you. This is an example of such a program launched,
called "Runfirst". This should run a program on the first of
the two cores, and you'd make a shortcut to stuff runfirst in
front of the rest of the command syntax. Some games run
smoother when forced to stay on a single core.

http://www.activeplus.com/us/freeware/runfirst/

Another thing you can try, which really shouldn't make a
difference, is disable EIST (speedstep). Just like Cool N' Quiet
on AMD, the Intel processor has a programmable multiplier. When
the processor is idle, the multiplier can be dropped (say 6x).
When the processor is carrying out a calculation, the multiplier
is raised to the nominal value (say 9x). The Vcore voltage is
also adjusted. The two things in hardware are called FID and
VID, and the settings may be adjusted 30 times per second.

With EIST disabled, the processor should stay at the high multiplier
value. You can disable EIST, and then verify your hardware parameters
with CPUZ, to see if everything looks correct or not. EIST should be
in the BIOS. It is also possible to stay at the high multiplier,
by making a change at the OS level, but the BIOS method is a bit
more direct and to the point.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Paul
Old May 11th 08, 06:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Norm wrote:

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Norm wrote:
video and sound sometimes zittery inmost games

P5E/E8400, 4 gig memory, 9800gtx 512k, vista home-prem 64bitT

How's that working out for you?

zittery = jittery

I'm going to add something different than paul did:

Has it ever not been jittery? If the system has never been smooth, you
may have a video card that is overclocked aggressively, or clocked too
high for the specific conditions it's operating in.

When a video card begins to fail, bits that shouldn't flip do...and at
first they might be recoverable bits, here and there...symptoms being
stuttering as the data has to be rechecked/resent.

In that fashion, system ram that fails can do the same thing...non fatal
bit flips that require a recheck. However, that's not limited to just 3d
game operation and if the system/OS seems otherwise stable, just not the
gaming portion, you can maybe rule out bad ram, unless you have 4G.

Depending on your specific mobo, and your specific RAM sticks, you may
have to make manual timings changes, or activate certain settings to
accommodate 4 ram sticks. But you may only have 2.

Lastly, Vista sucks hard, there are technical changes under the hood
that would curl your toes if you knew what happened many times a second
to kept your machine 'legit', all the while robbing the entire system of
performance and stability. Who knows, you may have a problem with the
"secured pathway" and that's bit flipping...fun, right?

Run both 3D Mark 2006 and Vantage (the free versions) and see how they
do. It's a nice rig, it should perform.

Old May 11th 08, 03:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rms[_2_]

video and sound sometimes zittery inmost games

Also, many older games will not run properly on dualcore, you must set
affinity to one or other of the cores: Thief3, Codename: Outbreak, etc.

rms

Old May 11th 08, 07:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Norm

"rms" wrote in message
video and sound sometimes zittery inmost games

Also, many older games will not run properly on dualcore, you must set
affinity to one or other of the cores: Thief3, Codename: Outbreak, etc.

rms

I appreciate the response. The new build was successful with hardware
choices and first boot up. My last build was 3+ years ago, tech has changed
allot.

Vista makes it more complicated and I'm a little over my head. With every
thing as new, it's a little hard to pin point the issues All newer games are
choppy with sound and video. The MB came with a add in sound card -
Soundmax.(not real impressed). I have tried several different nvidia
drivers using win uninstall and driver cleaner each time.

The frustration is that most current games ran just fine on old XP pro
computer (AMD). I have installed World Conflict, COD4 Supreme Commander 2,
even Guild Wars is choppy, plus a few other games that don't support dual
processors.

Nothing is over clocked.

Old May 11th 08, 08:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
JLC

"Norm" wrote in message

"rms" wrote in message
[...]

But you're now running 64bit Vista? Did you ever stop to think that maybe
it's the 64bit OS that is causing the problems? I know a lot of guys will
get upset when I mention that for most people a 32bit OS is all they need.
Just because you have a 64bit CPU doesn't mean you have to worry about
running a 64bit OS. There's a lot of conflict problems when running games
that are coded for 32bit and you try to run them on a 64bit OS. Some games
have patches, some don't. I think the root of your problems is your OS. JLC

Old May 11th 08, 08:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Norm wrote:

"rms" wrote in message
[...]

If sound is the issue, upgrade to XP.
Old May 12th 08, 01:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rms[_2_]

The MB came with a add in sound card - Soundmax.(not real impressed). I
have tried several different nvidia drivers using win uninstall and driver
cleaner each time.

Soundmax, hum. Have you done a search for the manufacturer of this
card, perhaps they have separate newer vista drivers. I know Creative cards
use a wrapper of some sort to operate with older games under vista, and
updating the drivers takes a bit of work.

rms

New Build Help Mike Silver Homebuilt PC's 5 February 21st 07 08:27 PM
SWsoft Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 Build 508, Acronis OS Selector 8.0 Build 917, Acronis Partition Expert 2003 Build 292, Acronis Power Utilities 2004 Build 502, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS.PROXY v1.10.17.WINALL, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS v5.50.10260 for CITRI vvcd Storage (alternative) 3 December 4th 05 11:46 AM
build help Aaron Homebuilt PC's 8 November 26th 03 04:09 AM
first build Kaz Asus Motherboards 16 November 19th 03 06:25 AM
first build Kaz Homebuilt PC's 2 November 15th 03 11:06 PM