capacitors

Old March 17th 08, 06:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Default capacitors

lamba wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 05:12:16 GMT,
(GMAN) wrote:

In article , lamba wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 03:31:42 GMT,

(GMAN) wrote:

In article , davy
wrote:
Further to post's mentioned re 330uF at 16V capacitor be sure to
connect the device the correct way round if not already mentioned, -ve
to negative and + to positive... many a device are just marked with a
black mark or band indicating the negative (-Ve) lead.

Connect these devils the wrong way and they will pop like chestnuts, if
its a SMD (surface mounted device) they have no leads and there is a
possibility that it just wants resoldering, you can of course use
capacitors with leads instead.

Anything bigger than a 15W soldering iron could easily damaged the
copper tracks... too much heat and it'll peel away from the board.

davy

It cracks me up when someone who doesnt know what they are doing gets one of
those huge GUNS that looks like a 1960 star trek phaser and melts back a trace
3 inches.
When I worked on the Abit board, it was my first time soldering. I was
very, very careful about how long I kept the Iron on it. I kind of
knew what do by watching the Auditors. It wasn't a pretty job. But the
board still works to this day.

Laurie

Good job!!!

But, can I do it again?

Here is what I found so far:

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts-y/4...a331mha0g.html

http://www.electronix.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id/603

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=020-1708

The first link looks like what I have. Do these look like options?
Thanks,
Laurie

For the first part, what I notice is the part description is
"Aluminum electrolytic", A.K.A. an ordinary capacitor. The
Sanyo part is a premium component, with low ESR and high
ripple rating. The Sanyo datasheet lists working voltage,
capacitance, ESR equivalent series resistance in ohms,
and ripple current rating in amps. The makers of
aluminum electrolytics, are more likely to hide their
ESR and ripple current rating, and it won't be
nearly as good as an OS-CON.

The other two links are also Aluminum electrolytic.

Old March 17th 08, 07:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Paul wrote:
lamba wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 05:12:16 GMT,
(GMAN) wrote:

In article , lamba
wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 03:31:42 GMT,

(GMAN) wrote:

In article , davy

wrote:
[...]

On Newark, I can see an "OSCON type" device. (Since the name
is likely trademarked by Sanyo, it must be used under
a license of some sort.) Since it is listed as a
non-stock item, there'd be some details/limitations
on getting it.

http://www.newark.com/67C0393/non-st...4SA477X0016GBP

Problems with it - I had to pick the next capacitance value up, to meet
the working voltage (470uf/16V). The dimensions of the case of the cap,
are likely to be bigger than the device you have in your hand. Which
could make it physically impossible to fit on the existing design.

You can get more details here.
http://www.vishay.com/docs/90003/94sa.pdf

For the 470uF 16V cap, ESR is 0.020 ohms, ripple current rating is 6.08 amps.
Which is a huge ripple current rating, when compared to ordinary
aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

You can spend a lot of time, searching for crap like that.
I know, when I needed some parts to mod my oldest computer, it
took hours and hours of searching, to find something even
remotely close to what was needed.

Paul
Old March 23rd 08, 11:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
lamba

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:30:10 -0700, "JLC" jc@nospam wrote:

"lamba" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:36:43 +0100, "Rene"
wrote:

"lamba" schreef in bericht
Hi,

I was trying to get my video card out and I broke a capacitor off. It
is a MSI 6600gt card. I have been searching and I hate to get the
wrong one. I have solder before on boards, replaced bad ones on an
Abit board.

I'd say online is where you'd probably have the best luck finding that part.
But I'm not sure you could buy just one. They might only sell in bulk.
Have you tried contacting MSI and explaining to them what happened and ask
them if they might replace the card, or maybe sell you a new one for a
reduced price?. It's not like you where trying to damage your card, it was a
accident. I know it sounds nuts, but I always at lest try to contact a
company before I give up. JLC

Hi,

Ok I contacted MSI and because this card is in its third year of
warrenty they said this:

There will be a fee applied in the amount of $45.00 dollars for 3rd
year S&H fee.

I probably have to ship it out on my dime. To me this is not worth it.
I would be better off just to keep using the ATI card and saving my
money to by a different card, probably a PCIE one? But since my board
is an Asrock 4core dual there is not much to pick from for PCIE.

Or just order one of the caps from digikey and see what happens?

Happy Easter to everyone!
Laurie
Old March 23rd 08, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
GMAN[_4_]

In article , lamba wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:30:10 -0700, "JLC" jc@nospam wrote:

"lamba" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:36:43 +0100, "Rene"
wrote:

"lamba" schreef in bericht
m...

warrenty they said this:

There will be a fee applied in the amount of $45.00 dollars for 3rd
year S&H fee.

I'd call your states Attorney Generals office or consumer protection office
and speak with someone . That is not legal.

Old March 23rd 08, 06:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
JLC

"GMAN" wrote in message

"lamba" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:36:43 +0100, "Rene"
wrote:

"lamba" schreef in bericht
om...

warrenty they said this:

There will be a fee applied in the amount of $45.00 dollars for 3rd
year S&H fee.

I'd call your states Attorney Generals office or consumer protection
office
and speak with someone . That is not legal.

What's not legal about offering to fix his card for $45? Sounds like a fair
deal to me. If the OP tries to fix it himself and he messes up then he's out
of luck. JLC

Old March 23rd 08, 06:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
lamba

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:07:05 -0700, "JLC" jc@nospam wrote:

"GMAN" wrote in message
In article , lamba
wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:30:10 -0700, "JLC" jc@nospam wrote:

"lamba" wrote in message
m...
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:36:43 +0100, "Rene"
wrote:

"lamba" schreef in bericht
news:dh7pt3tojsr3ucdqutfmta6jqj3jvf3c1q@4ax. com...

warrenty they said this:

There will be a fee applied in the amount of $45.00 dollars for 3rd
year S&H fee.

I'd call your states Attorney Generals office or consumer protection
office
and speak with someone . That is not legal.

What's not legal about offering to fix his card for $45? Sounds like a fair
deal to me. If the OP tries to fix it himself and he messes up then he's out
of luck. JLC

1st I am a her.

2nd I can't afford to pay 45.00 and then shipping. Compared to 10.00
for a part.
So, I figure my options are to try and fix it, and if I mess up, the
card is broke anyway. I really don't want to mess with MSI cause I had
to send the card in twice to get the fan fixed already.
Or just save my money and by a newer card. The ATI I am using right
now is a RADEON 9000 SERIES (128 MB).
I do consider myself lucky to have this card as a back up.
Oh how I HATE decisions.
Happy Easter
Laurie

Old March 23rd 08, 10:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

I have lost capacitors on ATI before and continued useing them for 2
years. Losing a capacitor is not fatal.

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:49:26 -0600, lamba wrote:

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:07:05 -0700, "JLC" jc@nospam wrote:

"GMAN" wrote in message
In article , lamba
wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:30:10 -0700, "JLC" jc@nospam wrote:

om...

Old March 24th 08, 02:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
GMAN[_4_]

In article , "JLC" jc@nospam wrote:

"GMAN" wrote in message
In article , lamba
wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:30:10 -0700, "JLC" jc@nospam wrote:

m...

warrenty they said this:

There will be a fee applied in the amount of $45.00 dollars for 3rd
year S&H fee.

I'd call your states Attorney Generals office or consumer protection
office
and speak with someone . That is not legal.

What's not legal about offering to fix his card for $45? Sounds like a fair
deal to me. If the OP tries to fix it himself and he messes up then he's out
of luck. JLC

Look, its either in warranty or out of warranty. They cant just make up
charges to add on if they have a set warranty period. They can say, oh, its
the 3rd year, lets make him or her pay a little more . If it was worded that
way in the warranty agreement then thats another thing, but they cant just
make up charges nilly willy to make a buck while its under the warranty
period.

Bad capacitors - take 2? Tony Hill General 4 November 13th 05 07:45 PM
bad capacitors? Zdenek Sojka General 17 March 23rd 05 02:45 AM
Capacitors going bad Marcus Hilderbrand Abit Motherboards 1 February 10th 04 08:08 AM
K8V with RLZ 0333 capacitors Brad Allen Asus Motherboards 1 January 13th 04 07:06 PM
p4t-533 leaking capacitors? highband678 Asus Motherboards 4 December 16th 03 02:46 AM