capacitors

Old March 16th 08, 04:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
lamba

Default capacitors

Hi,

I was trying to get my video card out and I broke a capacitor off. It
is a MSI 6600gt card. I have been searching and I hate to get the
wrong one. I have solder before on boards, replaced bad ones on an
Abit board.

Right now I am using an ATI card. I would like to get this card
running again. Because I don't have the money to get a new card right
now.

On the top it say's:

446
S V P
330
16

Am I right in thinking this 330 ohm, 16 volts?

If this isn't the right place to ask please, please, direct me to
where.

Thanks in advance for any help
Laurie
Old March 16th 08, 05:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

lamba wrote:
Hi,

I was trying to get my video card out and I broke a capacitor off. It
is a MSI 6600gt card. I have been searching and I hate to get the
wrong one. I have solder before on boards, replaced bad ones on an
Abit board.

Right now I am using an ATI card. I would like to get this card
running again. Because I don't have the money to get a new card right
now.

On the top it say's:

446
S V P
330
16

Am I right in thinking this 330 ohm, 16 volts?

If this isn't the right place to ask please, please, direct me to
where.

Thanks in advance for any help
Laurie

When I tried "capacitor svp" in a search engine, this was near the
top of the returned result. This is a datasheet for an OS-CON
(organic semiconductor) capacitor. (If there is a logo on the
part, that could also be part of your "component matching"
exercise.)

http://www.bdent.com/specifications/sanyo/ossvp.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-CON

The units could be 330uF A.K.A. microfarads. The 16 might
be 16V, the maximum working volts. In that datasheet, the
various caps are sorted according to package size. You might
need to locate a second Sanyo document, to convert the package
size into actual dimensions, as a crosscheck that you're looking
at the correct information.

The other issue, would be where to buy one.

Is the capacitor itself damaged ? Or did you rip it
right off a soldered pad ? It could be that you
damaged the PCB, rather than the cap. Or, if there
was a cold solder joint, it is possible neither
is damaged.

I've never worked with OS-CONs, and I don't know what
would be a "nearest equivalent". They are premium capacitors,
with high ripple current ratings. In switching regulator
circuits, one of them might replace four regular capacitors,
due to their better electrical characteristics. The cap
has more parameters than just the capacitance (in Farads),
and in the case of some switching designs, it is things
other than the capacitance value, that the designer might
be selecting for.

Another thing I cannot tell you, is how to reattach a
surface mount cylinder like that. If the contact is
exposed at the side, you might get an iron on it. But
if the contact area is underneath the cap, reattachment
with home tools might be difficult. I'm more used to
fighting with caps with thru-hole leads on them, and
at least a soldering iron gives you a fighting chance
with those. Some surface mount repairs, use hot air
equipment, but the cap can be damaged by high temperatures,
and so if hot air is applied, there would be a strict
time-temperature profile for (re-)soldering it. Perhaps
another Sanyo document, would address best soldering
practices to prevent damage.

Also, when shopping for a replacement, remember that
the Internet is rife with frauds. You can see some
examples here, of products for sale, but you have no
way of knowing whether they are genuine or not. If
you purchase them from Digikey, Mouser, or Newark,
there is a better chance they will have come through
proper distribution channels. And no, I don't know
who distributes them, so more research ahead.

http://www.superideals.info/4-sanyo-...9165876-1.html

Good luck,
Paul
Old March 16th 08, 10:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rene

"lamba" schreef in bericht
Hi,

I was trying to get my video card out and I broke a capacitor off. It
is a MSI 6600gt card. I have been searching and I hate to get the
wrong one. I have solder before on boards, replaced bad ones on an
Abit board.

Right now I am using an ATI card. I would like to get this card
running again. Because I don't have the money to get a new card right
now.

On the top it say's:

446
S V P
330
16

Am I right in thinking this 330 ohm, 16 volts?

No, capacity is not ohms but Farads, in Your case it will be 330 _micro_
Farads. The working voltage is OK, 16 volts. If You go to the local store,
ask for a high temperature and low ESR cap (both are important).

Good luck!
Yours sincerely,
Rene

Old March 16th 08, 03:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
lamba

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 01:37:55 -0400, Paul wrote:

lamba wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your input. Guess that I will be doing more research.
I am soooo mad at my self for doing this. I have a Zalman fan on it,
and it has been working really well. I put this fan on after having to
send the card to MSI twice for a replacement fan that went bad.
Laurie
Old March 16th 08, 03:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
lamba

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:36:43 +0100, "Rene"
wrote:

"lamba" schreef in bericht
.. .
[...]

Hi Rene,

Thank you for your input. I worked at a electronics place for 7 years.
I was a Material Handler though. Then after 6 years they said everyone
has to know how to solder. I had never done it before. With help from
a Tech and an Auditor (checking my work) I took the class. With ALOT
of practice I managed to pass. But it has been two years since I have
been layed off, that I have forgotton all about ohms, Farads etc.

Do you have any ideas as what local stores I could check into? I have
already went to Radio Shack and they didn't have any.

Thanks again,
Laurie
Old March 16th 08, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
JLC

"lamba" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:36:43 +0100, "Rene"
wrote:

"lamba" schreef in bericht
. ..
[...]

I'd say online is where you'd probably have the best luck finding that part.
But I'm not sure you could buy just one. They might only sell in bulk.
Have you tried contacting MSI and explaining to them what happened and ask
them if they might replace the card, or maybe sell you a new one for a
reduced price?. It's not like you where trying to damage your card, it was a
accident. I know it sounds nuts, but I always at lest try to contact a
company before I give up. JLC

Old March 16th 08, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

lamba wrote:
Hi,

I was trying to get my video card out and I broke a capacitor off. It
is a MSI 6600gt card. I have been searching and I hate to get the
wrong one. I have solder before on boards, replaced bad ones on an
Abit board.

Right now I am using an ATI card. I would like to get this card
running again. Because I don't have the money to get a new card right
now.

On the top it say's:

446
S V P
330
16

Am I right in thinking this 330 ohm, 16 volts?

If this isn't the right place to ask please, please, direct me to
where.

Thanks in advance for any help
Laurie

If you even need it...if the cap was part of the video memory circuit,
you might not notice it missing in operation. If it is part of the power
regulation circuit, eh....
Old March 16th 08, 11:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
davy

Further to post's mentioned re 330uF at 16V capacitor be sure to
connect the device the correct way round if not already mentioned, -ve
to negative and + to positive... many a device are just marked with a
black mark or band indicating the negative (-Ve) lead.

Connect these devils the wrong way and they will pop like chestnuts, if
its a SMD (surface mounted device) they have no leads and there is a
possibility that it just wants resoldering, you can of course use
capacitors with leads instead.

Anything bigger than a 15W soldering iron could easily damaged the
copper tracks... too much heat and it'll peel away from the board.

davy

Old March 17th 08, 03:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
lamba

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:30:10 -0700, "JLC" jc@nospam wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I havn't tried contacting MSI, but I guess it doesn't hurt to contact
them and see what they say.

Thank you for you input.

Laurie
Old March 17th 08, 03:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
lamba

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:52:17 -0500, davy
wrote:

Further to post's mentioned re 330uF at 16V capacitor be sure to
connect the device the correct way round if not already mentioned, -ve
to negative and + to positive... many a device are just marked with a
black mark or band indicating the negative (-Ve) lead.

Connect these devils the wrong way and they will pop like chestnuts, if
its a SMD (surface mounted device) they have no leads and there is a
possibility that it just wants resoldering, you can of course use
capacitors with leads instead.

Anything bigger than a 15W soldering iron could easily damaged the
copper tracks... too much heat and it'll peel away from the board.

davy

Good advice. I use to load the wave line when they needed help, so it
was drilled into me about that. I don't remember the auditor ever
having a problem.

I did get really good with the capacitor with leads, it was the
resistors that I had a problem with, kept lifting the pads. But I was
able to pass the class without lifting any.

Thanks,
Laurie

Bad capacitors - take 2? Tony Hill General 4 November 13th 05 07:45 PM
bad capacitors? Zdenek Sojka General 17 March 23rd 05 02:45 AM
Capacitors going bad Marcus Hilderbrand Abit Motherboards 1 February 10th 04 08:08 AM
K8V with RLZ 0333 capacitors Brad Allen Asus Motherboards 1 January 13th 04 07:06 PM
p4t-533 leaking capacitors? highband678 Asus Motherboards 4 December 16th 03 02:46 AM