what to buy: 8800GT or HD3870 or 9600GT ?

Old February 26th 08, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Mr.E Solved!

Default Gigabyte 8800GT it is

Beladi Nasrallah wrote:

OK, so I went into the local discount store, and saw "GIGABYTE 8800GT
TurboForce Model GV-NX88T512HP" as is described at
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read_pf.php?cID=1233 .

It is short (7.4" according to the website above) just like I wanted
it. However, the card I saw in the stor had two "spikes" which were
the terminated ends of the heat pipe. They are protruding 7 mm outside
the printed circuit board. This won't fit my case, or will fir barely.
I am thinking to buy this card anyway, and cut off the protruding ends
of the heat pipe. The heat pipe can be made of the whole copper tube
which then will present no problem. Or, it could be a tube filled with
liquid... in this case, I will just squeeze the copper pipe 7 mm away
from its end. Will this work (I never worked with heat pipes) ?

lol, you and the vinegar-bowl lady need to write a book on the world's
worst PC technical advice.

Please, if you do decide to take some shears and cut into a heat pipe,
post the video for posterity. Did you see how many views the vids of the
sods smashing their brand new PS3's received? You could do similarly well.

I had to go back and read you submissions to the group Beladi, from your
disappointment in not getting a 1650WS LCD (but hey the 7600GT to run it
made you happy as it was from *China*), and your irrational expectation
in getting a 8800GTX for $200:

"In 1 year, I will be able to buy 8800GTX for $200... which sells now
for $800, so that I will be able to play the latest games. Thanks to
the new 9-series." -Beladi

Oh poots that prediction did not come true, eh? Here's another Beladi gem:

"No surprise, you do not have access to inbetween your wife's legs. You
are after the altar boys ! And she does not like it..."

I bet you're a hoot at the punch bowl with your heat pipe shears and
salty ways.

Old February 26th 08, 07:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Shawk

Beladi Nasrallah wrote:
OK, so I went into the local discount store, and saw "GIGABYTE 8800GT
TurboForce Model GV-NX88T512HP" as is described at
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read_pf.php?cID=1233 .

It is short (7.4" according to the website above) just like I wanted
it. However, the card I saw in the stor had two "spikes" which were
the terminated ends of the heat pipe. They are protruding 7 mm outside
the printed circuit board. This won't fit my case, or will fir barely.
I am thinking to buy this card anyway, and cut off the protruding ends
of the heat pipe. The heat pipe can be made of the whole copper tube
which then will present no problem. Or, it could be a tube filled with
liquid... in this case, I will just squeeze the copper pipe 7 mm away
from its end. Will this work (I never worked with heat pipes) ?

You really need a new case. Not only for future upgrades but for
airflow. Today's PC parts do not seem to be getting cooler
unfortunately and this is an issue that will probably get worse for you.
Old February 26th 08, 09:00 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John Lewis

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 03:22:30 -0800 (PST), Beladi Nasrallah
wrote:

OK, so I went into the local discount store, and saw "GIGABYTE 8800GT
TurboForce Model GV-NX88T512HP" as is described at
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read_pf.php?cID=1233 .

It is short (7.4" according to the website above) just like I wanted
it. However, the card I saw in the stor had two "spikes" which were
the terminated ends of the heat pipe. They are protruding 7 mm outside
the printed circuit board. This won't fit my case, or will fir barely.
I am thinking to buy this card anyway, and cut off the protruding ends
of the heat pipe. The heat pipe can be made of the whole copper tube
which then will present no problem. Or, it could be a tube filled with
liquid... in this case, I will just squeeze the copper pipe 7 mm away
from its end. Will this work (I never worked with heat pipes) ?

Get rid of the tail that wags the dog. NOW !!

John Lewis

Old February 27th 08, 01:11 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
JLC

"Beladi Nasrallah" wrote in message
OK, so I went into the local discount store, and saw "GIGABYTE 8800GT
TurboForce Model GV-NX88T512HP" as is described at
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read_pf.php?cID=1233 .

It is short (7.4" according to the website above) just like I wanted
it. However, the card I saw in the stor had two "spikes" which were
the terminated ends of the heat pipe. They are protruding 7 mm outside
the printed circuit board. This won't fit my case, or will fir barely.
I am thinking to buy this card anyway, and cut off the protruding ends
of the heat pipe. The heat pipe can be made of the whole copper tube
which then will present no problem. Or, it could be a tube filled with
liquid... in this case, I will just squeeze the copper pipe 7 mm away
from its end. Will this work (I never worked with heat pipes) ?

What I don't understand about this card is that even thought it's core is
clocked at 700 which is the same as the card I have(one of the cards in the
review the XFX 8000GT XXX), yet it scored lower in EVERY test. The only
thing that is much better is the temps, and with that huge HSF I would hope
so! Yet the card still gets a glowing review. Strange.
As to the OP and his case situation, you really need to bite the bullet and
buy a $40 full size case.
It's not that hard to move the parts from one case to the other, or find a
friend or someone to do it for you. These cards need a lot of air around
them, and this card you're looking at is tiny, yet you still need to cut the
thing?! I looked all the picture and I don't see any pipes sticking out.
Just the ones that loop toward the back of the card which shouldn't cause
you any problems.
Can't you just order the card that is in the link you provided? JLC

Old February 27th 08, 07:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
GreatArtist

Default what to buy: 8800GT or HD3870 or 9600GT ?

On Feb 24, 5:49 am, Beladi Nasrallah wrote:
In short, I could wait for half a year more, and probably buy an
HD3870 for $160-190. Or, I could wait the same half a year, and
possibly buy 9600GT for $150-170 (and a new case, or wait for a
shorter non-reference PCB design ?). Or, I could buy right now the
grey-import HD3870 (from China tailored for the Chinese market with
the Chinese quality) for $260.

I worked hard on my online business so I wouldn't have to agonize over
stuff like this anymore. I bought an EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX for $400
recently, which cost the same as my entire xbox 360.

What do you think guys ?

I think you should work on increasing your income like I do, so you
can have a great new computer and be happy. Read "Maximum Achievement"
by Brian Tracy. It will teach you everything you need to know about
making more money. I read and listen to his materials nearly every
day. It's like my religion. I live by his advice. I'm going to be a
multi-millionaire within the next few years. That might sound hard,
but being deprived of the lifestyle and material things that you want
is a lot harder.

In about a year from now, I plan on buying two of whatever is the
fastest graphics card, like the new geforce 9800 (which isn't out
yet), and use them in SLI mode. I'm also going to buy whatever is the
fastest CPU, even if it costs $1,000. I'm going to max out everything.
Old February 28th 08, 04:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Larry Roberts

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:50:34 -0800 (PST), GreatArtist
wrote:

[...]

Let me guess. You make a living selling Brian Tracey's
learning materials to people so they can sell it to others, and the
profits just trickle down.
Old February 28th 08, 08:41 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Beladi Nasrallah

On Feb 27, 11:11*am, "JLC" jc@nospam wrote:

*As to the OP and his case situation, you really need to bite the bullet and
buy a $40 full size case.

Thanks everyone for comments. When I had this computer built for me, I
chose the case which I liked. It was compact. And it costed less than
$50. Here where I live, I went to the local discount store. I
discovered the cases of a comparable build quality would cost in
excess of $100. And I could not even find them. I did not like any of
the presented ones.

Then I thought what kind of games I would like to play. Those were the
games released in the past 1-1.5 years; for example I just ordered
STALKER. For those games, my rig (AMD X2 3600+ and 7600GT) provides
top performance. And I am interested in no games which would be
released in the next 6 months. It appears I have no need to upgrade my
video card ! Perhaps I should wait a year when the likes of 8800GT
will become a norm requirement for a game.
Old February 28th 08, 01:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
CJM[_5_]

"GreatArtist" wrote in message

[snipped all the alpha-male, Gordon Gecko lunch-is-for-wimps crap]

Oh dear!

And how much money will you need to buy a life?