[HELP] Problems with Nvidia GeForce MMX 440

Old December 6th 04, 04:08 PM
Edi

Default [HELP] Problems with Nvidia GeForce MMX 440

I've experienced a few problems with my GeForce MMX 440 (drivers v. 66.93) in the past days.
Every videogame I play isn't working as it should: the screen becomes filled with flashing lines
and blurs of different colors, even though the games keep on working anyway; they don't crash at
all, it's just that there are these lines and blurs that are definitely annoying. This happens
especially with Need For Speed Underground 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 and Command & Conquer
Generals. The same thing happens with dvix and xvid movies, although the problem in this case
isn't very serious since the colored lines are much thinner and less annoying. I've already
tried to remove the card from the system and reinstall the drivers all over again, but it just
won't work. Anyone out there knows what the problem could be? Any suggestion? Thank you in
advance for the feedback :-).

Old December 6th 04, 08:02 PM
Nerdillius Maximus

"Edi" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried an earlier set of drivers, ones that were more contemporary
to the card itself? 4x.xx series perhaps? I got a similar error with a GF3
and a few 6x.xx sets. The older drivers work better with older cards
sometimes, since new releases are largely for tweaking the 6x00 series
cards...you know, bugfixes, performance improvements, shader replacements,
selective benchmark result optimization with no real improvement in daily
use...breaking compatibility with older series cards which is bound to
happen at some time...

Old December 6th 04, 08:35 PM
deimos

Edi wrote:
[...]

Open your case, see if the fan is dead (if it had a fan, most didn't
need it). Cheaper MX fans were known to go up quickly. Especially a
particular Asus board. That, or some idiot left a sticker on underneath
the heatsink .

This might be a case of overheating in that instance. Artifacting like
you describe is common amongst cards overclocked too high or overheated.

As long as you stick with official drivers however, I don't see a
problem with a driver conflict. It could be a chipset issue, but most
current chipsets (any P4 based or AMD KT3xx/4xx or NForce 2) are very
stable and don't have many graphic issues.

Find a motherboard forum and ask around, see if anyone else has reported
similar artifacting. Example: http://www.amdmb.com/
Old December 7th 04, 07:47 AM
R.V. Gronoff

Edi a écrit :
[...]

Try driver 56.72 (v6n.nn are not compatible with GF4 MX cards).

Does this problem occur at startup or only in 3d mode ?
If you have this problem too often, the video chip may be dead.
Old December 7th 04, 01:48 PM
Edi

Well, thanx everyone. I think I'll buy a new card at this point, but thanks anyway.

Old December 8th 04, 01:42 AM
deimos

R.V. Gronoff wrote:
Try driver 56.72 (v6n.nn are not compatible with GF4 MX cards).

OT --

BZZT! Wrong! All unified Forceware/Detonator drivers since around the
early 3x.xx series have been GF4MX compatible. Really it's just a line
in the .inf, the internal code is mostly chip agnostic (it falls back on
feature sets, so if you don't have it, it's no loss).
Old December 8th 04, 10:57 PM
R.V. Gronoff

deimos a écrit :
R.V. Gronoff wrote:

Try driver 56.72 (v6n.nn are not compatible with GF4 MX cards).

OT --

BZZT! Wrong! All unified Forceware/Detonator drivers since around the
early 3x.xx series have been GF4MX compatible. Really it's just a line
in the .inf, the internal code is mostly chip agnostic (it falls back on
feature sets, so if you don't have it, it's no loss).

No, the 6x drivers don't work for DX7 functions with the MX440: the
image is horizontally spread like twice its size and some elements don't
get texturized (tried with Dxdiag D3D test and Marine Aquarium 2).
Old December 9th 04, 02:16 AM
deimos

R.V. Gronoff wrote:
deimos a écrit :

R.V. Gronoff wrote:

Try driver 56.72 (v6n.nn are not compatible with GF4 MX cards).

OT --

BZZT! Wrong! All unified Forceware/Detonator drivers since around the
early 3x.xx series have been GF4MX compatible. Really it's just a
line in the .inf, the internal code is mostly chip agnostic (it falls
back on feature sets, so if you don't have it, it's no loss).

No, the 6x drivers don't work for DX7 functions with the MX440: the
image is horizontally spread like twice its size and some elements don't
get texturized (tried with Dxdiag D3D test and Marine Aquarium 2).

I have a GF2MX (original series) in my server running 61.77 currently
and it runs all DX test and even games like UT2003 (DX8a). I haven't
tried any DX9 games yet, but all OpenGL games, even Doom 3 runs (slowly,
but surely).

I've also used the 6x series on a GF2U, GF3TI200, and my current FX5600
(aka the 5600 P.O.S.) -- no problems with the drivers.

In the CAD workstations at my college, we use MX4000's (derrivitive of
the GF4MX which is also a takeoff of the GF2 core), running the WHQL
61.77's. So far with what little I can test on them, OpenGL works,
simple DXDiag tests run, and simple DX9 based demos run.

It seems to me like you might be having a problem with TwinView (or
whatever it was called after the original MX) and multimonitor
acceleration. There was a known problem with having more than one
monitor profile active and acceleration getting FUBAR.