Which current GF cards use external TV output chipset?

Old May 14th 04, 10:43 PM
Larry L.

Default Which current GF cards use external TV output chipset?

I need a Geforce card that supports overscan on the TV output. I've
discovered that many of the new cards do not support this feature, and the
pattern seems to be that they all used the "integrated" TV chipset rather
than and external TV chipset like a conexant. Does anyone know where I
could find out which cards utilize an external chipset for TV output, or
better yet, which ones actually offer overscan settings? I just tried two
cards (a PNY GF4 MX440 and a Leadtek FX5200), and neither one offered this
capability.

At the moment, I'm interested in the lower priced cards for a "secondary"
system (i.e. the lower priced the better.)

Thanks,

Larry

Old May 14th 04, 11:03 PM
Larry L.

Another question is whether or not the integrated TV chipset "can" support
overscan, but simply doesn't in the current drivers (56.72.) The earlier
Ti4xxx cards/drivers had a similar issue where a new driver release suddenly
supported overscan control. Is this the same case with the fx5200 and the
"integrated" TV chipset? Does anyone know if the newer drivers (after
56.72) support overscan on cards like the fx5200?

Thanks again,

Larry

Old May 14th 04, 11:29 PM
GTS

Have visited www.tvtool.de ? In the archive section there is a list of all
known video cards and the chips they use. No info on the FX range though as
they all use the MV (NV17) integrated chip. I have used TV tool for years to
get rid of the black borders on TV, and it is meant to work with the FX
cards too. However for my 'media PC' I stick to a good old Geforce2mx (BT
chip) and older Nvidia drivers (DVD on TV not blocked by Copyright
protection). Perfect for DivX, Xvid, DVD only drawback is newer games with
the 2MX- sometimes its good to play on a big TV-screen! I have an FX card on
my 'main' PC but have not tried the TV-out yet...
Graham

Old May 15th 04, 04:19 AM
Larry L.

I considered TVTool, but after reading more about it, I felt that it might
open a whole new can of worms. It seems like a much more elegant solution
to use a card that natively supports overscan in the drivers. On top of
this, TVTool seems to have some limitations that do not work with my
situation, like the fact that (as far as I can tell) I cannot have two
separate refresh rates, one for the TV output and one for the computer
monitor, when using TVTool. The native nvidia drivers allow me to have a
completely different resolution and refresh rate on each monitor at the same
time.

Larry

news

Old May 19th 04, 01:34 AM
tq96

I need a Geforce card that supports overscan on the TV output. I've
discovered that many of the new cards do not support this feature, and
the pattern seems to be that they all used the "integrated" TV chipset
rather than and external TV chipset like a conexant. Does anyone know

That's interesting. I thought it was the other way around. The drivers do
not support overscan on my card because it uses a Philips chipset. I was
under the impression this is because Philips has failed to provide NVidia
with the documentation necessary to implement the feature. I also thought
that an in house TV-Out solution would have overscan support enabled
because it should be easy to walk down the hall and talk to the techs that
designed it.
Old May 26th 04, 03:51 AM
Larry L.

For anyone who is interested, the Leadtek DOES support the overscan
adjustment -- Leadtek tech support was simply wrong when they told me it
didn't. It turns out that the under and overscan buttons on these newer
cards move the borders at a MUCH slower rate than the Ti4600 I'm used to
(i.e. the newer cards have a lot more "steps" between the two extreme
settings.) This (along with Leadtek tech support's incorrect information)
lead me to believe that the new cards did not support overscan since I
didn't perceive any movement at first. The PNY probably also supports
overscan.

Larry