Some 6800 (non Ultra) specs...

Old April 28th 04, 09:55 PM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

Default Some 6800 (non Ultra) specs...

Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.

GPU Speed 375MHz
Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram
12 pipelines
128MB Memory
$299US

It will be interesting to see if 12 pipelines will make this card much
faster than the current 5900s. I was hoping it would beat the 5950 but I
don't see how it could with those numbers. I hope some manufacturers put
some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.

Here's the 6800 Ultra for comparison:

400/1100 - 2.0ns
16 pipelines
256MB Memory
$499US

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---
Got GigaNews?
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

Old April 28th 04, 09:59 PM
Ryan

Too_Much_Coffee ® wrote:

Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.

GPU Speed 375MHz
Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram
12 pipelines
128MB Memory
$299US

It will be interesting to see if 12 pipelines will make this card much
faster than the current 5900s. I was hoping it would beat the 5950 but I
don't see how it could with those numbers. I hope some manufacturers put
some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.

Here's the 6800 Ultra for comparison:

400/1100 - 2.0ns
16 pipelines
256MB Memory
$499US

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---
Got GigaNews?
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

are those final and for sure? and where did you get this info. and if
those are final, that memory is quite disapointing, eVGA wont change
maybe others will, i HOPE?
Old April 29th 04, 02:19 AM
Jelle

"Too_Much_Coffee ®" schreef in bericht
Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.

GPU Speed 375MHz
Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram
12 pipelines
128MB Memory
$299US

It will be interesting to see if 12 pipelines will make this card much
faster than the current 5900s. I was hoping it would beat the 5950 but I
don't see how it could with those numbers. I hope some manufacturers put
some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.

I really hope those memoryspeeds will be 800 mhz at least, otherwise my
consideration of the NU will be not as enthiousiastic as it is now.With such
a speed of 700Mhz, i think 6800XT would be an appropiate name (not saying
that something is wrong with that, it's just that 299$ for an XT is not
exactly cheap).

Old April 29th 04, 05:11 AM
John Lewis

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:55:19 -0700, "Too_Much_Coffee ®"
wrote:

Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.

GPU Speed 375MHz
Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram
12 pipelines
128MB Memory
$299US

URL please for the original of the above specs...........
also type of RAM.........

John Lewis

Old April 29th 04, 09:31 AM
Nada

"Too_Much_Coffee ®" wrote:
Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.

GPU Speed 375MHz
Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram
12 pipelines
128MB Memory
$299US

It will be interesting to see if 12 pipelines will make this card much
faster than the current 5900s. I was hoping it would beat the 5950 but I
don't see how it could with those numbers. I hope some manufacturers put
some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.

Here's the 6800 Ultra for comparison:

400/1100 - 2.0ns
16 pipelines
256MB Memory
$499US

I have a feeling it will be a notch or two faster than FX5950.
There's lot more to the architecture than memory speeds. The gap
between 5900XT and a normal 5900 is smaller than one might think
looking at the memory specs alone. The price of the basic 6800 will
no doubt put FX5950 into a tight spot.
Old April 29th 04, 04:24 PM
John Lewis

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 04:48:42 GMT, "Daniel"
wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04...ce_6800_specs/

Daniel

I'll wait for the official word, thank you.............although they
were right about Ati not announcing the R420 on April 26. In this case
they are quoting a German source of unknown veracity.

John Lewis

Old April 29th 04, 06:42 PM
jeff b

how it could with those numbers. I hope some manufacturers put
some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.

I really hope those memoryspeeds will be 800 mhz at least, otherwise my
consideration of the NU will be not as enthiousiastic as it is now.With such
a speed of 700Mhz, i think 6800XT would be an appropiate name (not saying
that something is wrong with that, it's just that 299$ for an XT is not
exactly cheap).

They have to spec slow RAM so as to differentiate
between the ultra and non. Even though the faster RAM
might only raise the build cost by $10. If they used
2.2 ns RAM on the non, then who would pay $200 extra for a marginally
better ultra?

Old April 29th 04, 08:10 PM
Jelle

"jeff b" schreef in bericht
how it could with those numbers. I hope some manufacturers put
some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.

I really hope those memoryspeeds will be 800 mhz at least, otherwise my
consideration of the NU will be not as enthiousiastic as it is now.With

such
a speed of 700Mhz, i think 6800XT would be an appropiate name (not

saying
that something is wrong with that, it's just that 299$ for an XT is not
exactly cheap).

They have to spec slow RAM so as to differentiate
between the ultra and non. Even though the faster RAM
might only raise the build cost by $10. If they used
2.2 ns RAM on the non, then who would pay $200 extra for a marginally
better ultra?

33% more pipes and membandwidth is not what i call marginal.
Anyway,you're probably right, but i was hoping the Utra was the great card,
but the 6800 was the great deal. I guess i was naive. It is rumoured that a
Pro will come with 375core, 1000Mhz mem , 12 pipes at 399$ ....

So then we'll have imho 3 cards which are "ok deal" , nothing more.

Old April 29th 04, 08:13 PM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

Too_Much_Coffee ® wrote:
Here are some specs for the upcoming 6800 Non-Ultra.

GPU Speed 375MHz
Memory Speed 700MHz - 2.8ns ram
12 pipelines
128MB Memory
$299US

It will be interesting to see if 12 pipelines will make this card much
faster than the current 5900s. I was hoping it would beat the 5950
but I don't see how it could with those numbers. I hope some
manufacturers put some 2.5 or 2.2ns ram on their 6800 non-ultra cards.

Here's the 6800 Ultra for comparison:

400/1100 - 2.0ns
16 pipelines
256MB Memory
$499US

There may be a third 6800 card available. The "6800 PRO" would also have 12
pipelines and have the GPU at 350/375MHz but the memory would be at 1000MHz
(DDR3). Same memory type as the Ultra. Priced at $399US.

If there will be a way to get 16 pipelines, either by a hardware mod or by a
change to the BIOS, this would be the card to get.

TMC