94.24 -- 163.44 driver: problem

Old August 26th 07, 04:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Beladi Nasralla

Default 94.24 -- 163.44 driver: problem

I had a 94.24 driver for my 7600GT card. I wanted to install BioShock,
so that I installed the BioShock-upgraded driver 163.44 (I heard it
cures some glitches and gives a few more fps). That was when the
problems started.

I wanted to overclock my card (I used to do it with CoolBits).
Installing the CoolBits does not work anymore. One has to install
nView. I installed the nView. Clicking on "overclocking" link in the
newly-designed nVidia Control Panel is supposed to bring to the
Performance window of nView (?)... the problem is that the nVidia
Control Panel froze after that... and nView did not want to start.

Fortunately, I was able to restore the computer to an earlier date
when I had the old 94.24 driver. I suppose I could play the game with
it. However, the new 163.44 driver is the shape of things to come. In
other words, all the newer drivers will be like 163.44. One cannot
avoid installing one in the future.

Old August 26th 07, 07:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
no spam

I also had problems with the 163.44 driver. It would not allow me to adjust
my 19" Viewsonic wide screen monitor to 1440 X 900 pixels. Going back to
94.24 fixed the problem.

Cheers,
Shane

ups.com...

Old August 26th 07, 04:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
KCB

[...]

Did you properly uninstall the older driver before you installed the new
one? This is one of the major reasons people have so many issues when
upgrading drivers.

Old August 26th 07, 09:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Fish

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:58:08 -0400, KCB wrote:

Did you properly uninstall the older driver before you installed the new
one? This is one of the major reasons people have so many issues when
upgrading drivers.

IMO it's because Nvidia has been churning out **** drivers as of late.
Especially on Vista. On Vista I have to use older drivers that EVGA has for
download because all the newer ones from Nvidia eff up the timings on my
CRT. On Vista if I unplug my CRT VGA cable from the video card and then
plug it back the Nvidia drivers will try to use my projector instead which
is hooked to the secondary DVI output of the 7900GT. I have to unplug the
projector too and then plug in just the CRT at first. Exact same hardware
has no such issues in XP.
Old August 27th 07, 12:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Beladi Nasralla

On Aug 27, 12:58 am, "KCB" wrote:
[...]

No. I did not do any uninstallation. As far as I understood from
reading the short instructions to the Forceware, I just need to run
the installator... and it will automatically uninstall the old driver,
and put the new one. But thatnks for the tip, I'll dig in this
direction, and find out.

Old August 27th 07, 02:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Andi Cole

Probably best to uninstall the old drivers from the control panel and then
use DriverCleaner Pro to remove any left overs.

163.44 is working fine with my 7800 and Bioshock.

Andi.

Old August 27th 07, 11:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
KCB

On Aug 27, 12:58 am, "KCB" wrote:
[...]

When updating graphics drivers, it is recommended to ALWAYS uninstall
the previous version, reboot, install new version, reboot.

Old September 2nd 07, 02:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Beladi Nasralla

On Aug 27, 10:36 pm, "Andi Cole" wrote:
Probably best to uninstall the old drivers from the control panel and then
use DriverCleaner Pro to remove any left overs.

My mainboard is using the nVidia chipset as well. I heard the
videocard drivercleaner also "cleaned" the chipset driver as well (or
somehow damaged it). So that I decided against using the
drivercleaner.

On Aug 27, 12:58 am, "KCB" wrote:
"Beladi Nasralla" wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

direction, and find out.- Hide quoted text -