775 heatsink performance review

Old April 2nd 07, 02:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

Default 775 heatsink performance review

Can someone point me to a decent heatsink performance review for 775 socket
processors please. Thanks.

Old April 2nd 07, 03:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"GT" wrote in message
Can someone point me to a decent heatsink performance review for 775
socket processors please. Thanks.

And are Peltier devices any good for cooling a CPU?. I know very little
about them, but why might I not want to put one between my Core 2 Duo e6400
and a large heatsink with a 120mm slow fan? An example one on ebay - item
number 220096987821.

Old April 2nd 07, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 15:56:51 +0100, "GT"
wrote:

"GT" wrote in message
.. .
Can someone point me to a decent heatsink performance review for 775
socket processors please. Thanks.

And are Peltier devices any good for cooling a CPU?.

It's possible to get gain using one, but generally reserved
for those who know a lot about them or are willing to spend
a lot for a pre-made kit. Unnecessary unless you're
overclocking or running in an extreme environment (very hot
room, desert, etc).

I know very little
about them,

.... then don't use one, until you know for certain you have
a situation that needs one, and even in such a situation it
might be as well to just try water cooling first.

but why might I not want to put one between my Core 2 Duo e6400
and a large heatsink with a 120mm slow fan? An example one on ebay - item
number 220096987821.

How about just getting a normal heatsink that has received
good reviews? They run hot but not impossibly hot, there
are millions of systems out in the world running fine
without anything exotic to cool them.

Old April 3rd 07, 09:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

After a little background reading, plus comments here, I've dropped the
Peltier idea - there is much more to it than just plugging one in and
designing a careful airflow round the heatsink, so I'll not bother with
that!

How about just getting a normal heatsink that has received
good reviews? They run hot but not impossibly hot, there
are millions of systems out in the world running fine
without anything exotic to cool them.

I didn't originally state the following as I was hoping for a simply
comparison table website with performance and noise figures that I could
read through myself, but I'm after silence, rather than overclocking and
cold. Environment in the room is 'normal' office temperatures 19-22 degC
(Scotland). I can easily research and find the maximum temperature of a Core
2 e6400, but what would you all say is a 'good' working temperature for
prolonged life?

Old April 3rd 07, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:53:48 +0100, "GT"
wrote:

[...]

60C or less at full load.