How do I find out IP's of my computers

Old March 16th 07, 11:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Valentin

Default How do I find out IP's of my computers

Hi,
3 computers in a home network setup, connected to a Lynksys router.
The router specs show in DHCP Active IP Table:
Computers A, B, C ending in 101, 102, 103 respectively, but on a recent
visit to a financial site, their sever informed me that my IP adress is
competely different.
I would like to find out the "real" IP of each one of my computers, if
possible.

Thanks.

Old March 16th 07, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Oksana Gutteridge

In ,
Valentin typed:
Hi,
3 computers in a home network setup, connected to a Lynksys router.
The router specs show in DHCP Active IP Table:
Computers A, B, C ending in 101, 102, 103 respectively, but on a
recent visit to a financial site, their sever informed me that my IP
adress is competely different.
I would like to find out the "real" IP of each one of my computers, if
possible.

Thanks.

The IP address the server told you about is the IP address allocated to you
by your ISP. That's the one IP address seen by the outside world, from
whichever computer you use at the time. The IP addresses of the computers on
your home network, are internal IP addresses, allocated by your router.

Old March 16th 07, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
HDRDTD

Go to each individual computer and open a DOS window.
In that window, run the following command

ipconfig /all

it will display all the IP settings (including the IP address) for the
particular system it was run on.

Old March 17th 07, 01:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Valentin

"Oksana Gutteridge" wrote in message
In ,
Valentin typed:
Hi,
3 computers in a home network setup, connected to a Lynksys router.
The router specs show in DHCP Active IP Table:
Computers A, B, C ending in 101, 102, 103 respectively, but on a
recent visit to a financial site, their sever informed me that my IP
adress is competely different.
I would like to find out the "real" IP of each one of my computers, if
possible.

Thanks.

The IP address the server told you about is the IP address allocated to
you by your ISP. That's the one IP address seen by the outside world, from
whichever computer you use at the time. The IP addresses of the computers
on your home network, are internal IP addresses, allocated by your router.

Thank you very much, it's a start.

Old March 17th 07, 02:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Valentin

"HDRDTD" wrote in message
Go to each individual computer and open a DOS window.
In that window, run the following command

ipconfig /all

it will display all the IP settings (including the IP address) for the
particular system it was run on.

Yes, of course. I even did it several years ago, but forgot all about.
Thanks a lot!

Old March 17th 07, 02:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Valentin

"Valentin" wrote in message

"HDRDTD" wrote in message
Go to each individual computer and open a DOS window.
In that window, run the following command

ipconfig /all

it will display all the IP settings (including the IP address) for the
particular system it was run on.

Yes, of course. I even did it several years ago, but forgot all about.
Thanks a lot!

Sorry, but I'm not done yet.
I just remembered that my provider assigns a "dynamically assigned IP
address".
I think it means that it constantly changing, about once every 24 hours,
because after I did the ipconfig /all, I find the following:
DNS Servers...................XX.XX.XX.XXXX
XX.XX.XX.XXXX

Lease Obtained...............Friday, March 16, 2007 7:22:54 PM
Lease Expires..............Saturday, March 17, 2007 7:22:54 PM

Am I correct in assuming that those numbers (x's) are my real IP addresses
"seen by the outside world" (why two not one?),
and is it "safe" if I were to publish them here as I see them?
The actual reason why I got into this research in the first place is because
my credit card web site wants me to re-register at login, the reason for it
being that "they see a different computer".
Does it mean they "will see a different computer" every time I attempt to
login, because my IP is "dynamically assigned"?
Nice prospect. :-(

Old March 17th 07, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Weiss

"Valentin" wrote...

Sorry, but I'm not done yet.
I just remembered that my provider assigns a "dynamically assigned IP
address".
I think it means that it constantly changing, about once every 24 hours,

Possible, but not likely. While dynamically assigned IP addresses MAY
change on expiration, they very often are renewed with the same address.

because after I did the ipconfig /all, I find the following:
DNS Servers...................XX.XX.XX.XXXX
XX.XX.XX.XXXX

Lease Obtained...............Friday, March 16, 2007 7:22:54 PM
Lease Expires..............Saturday, March 17, 2007 7:22:54 PM

Am I correct in assuming that those numbers (x's) are my real IP addresses
"seen by the outside world" (why two not one?),
and is it "safe" if I were to publish them here as I see them?

DNS servers translate URLs to IP addresses. They are not related to your IP
address.

The actual reason why I got into this research in the first place is
because my credit card web site wants me to re-register at login, the
reason for it being that "they see a different computer".
Does it mean they "will see a different computer" every time I attempt to
login, because my IP is "dynamically assigned"?

I suppose that is possible, but I don't understand why the credit card site
would associate your account with a unique IP address. If they did that,
you could not logi in from any other computer!

The "real address" of your LAN, as seen by the outside world, is the IP
address assigned to your router by the ISP. Find that by logging in to your
router and going to the "Status" page. The router then routes traffic to
the appropriate computer in your LAN without telling the outside world the
internal addresses (101, 102, 103).

"Valentin" wrote...

Old March 17th 07, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Oksana Gutteridge

In ,
Valentin typed:
"Valentin" wrote in message

"HDRDTD" wrote in message
Go to each individual computer and open a DOS window.
In that window, run the following command

ipconfig /all

it will display all the IP settings (including the IP address) for
the particular system it was run on.

Yes, of course. I even did it several years ago, but forgot all
about. Thanks a lot!

Sorry, but I'm not done yet.
I just remembered that my provider assigns a "dynamically assigned IP
address".
I think it means that it constantly changing,

The ISP allocates that IP address, and it might change

about once every 24

The rate of change is up to your ISP.

hours, because after I did the ipconfig /all, I find the following:
DNS Servers...................XX.XX.XX.XXXX
XX.XX.XX.XXXX

Lease Obtained...............Friday, March 16, 2007 7:22:54 PM
Lease Expires..............Saturday, March 17, 2007 7:22:54 PM

Am I correct in assuming that those numbers (x's) are my real IP
addresses "seen by the outside world" (why two not one?),

Not correct. If you want to see your real IP address as seen by the outside
world, go to http://www.dnsstuff.com and it will appear at the top of the
page.

and is it "safe" if I were to publish them here as I see them?

It's safe, but rather pointless.

The actual reason why I got into this research in the first place is
because my credit card web site wants me to re-register at login, the
reason for it being that "they see a different computer".

Because your real IP address as seen by the outside world is changing?

Does it mean they "will see a different computer" every time I
attempt to login, because my IP is "dynamically assigned"?

Quite possibly.

Nice prospect. :-(

You might consider getting a static IP address from your ISP (probably cost
more), or look at mechanisms like dynamic dns.

Old March 17th 07, 03:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Valentin

"John Weiss" jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet wrote in
message news
I suppose that is possible, but I don't understand why the credit card
site would associate your account with a unique IP address. If they did
that, you could not logi in from any other computer!

I probably can, but I would have to re-register, in the process giving them
my personal important information like soc. sec. number and other stuff.
I will find out for sure when I go to live in Ukraine for several months
this May.
I don't mind these extra security measures. For example PayPal gave me
similar headaches when I was overseas, getting me involved in changing
passwords and such.
These incidents moved me to learn a little more about IP stuff, but I'm
confused already. :-)

Old March 17th 07, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Valentin

"Oksana Gutteridge" wrote in message

Not correct. If you want to see your real IP address as seen by the
outside world, go to http://www.dnsstuff.com and it will appear at the top
of the page.

Thanks, I'll do that.

You might consider getting a static IP address from your ISP (probably
cost more), or look at mechanisms like dynamic dns.

Our provider doesn't furnish static IP addresses, so I have to get by the
best I can with what I've got.