Reboots since installing an XFX 7950

Old January 27th 07, 11:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Albert Wiersch

Default Reboots since installing an XFX 7950

I've experienced several spontaneous system reboots since installing a new
XFX 7950GT. I bought this card:

Any ideas?

My thoughts are either the card is defective or the drivers.

I am overclocking my Core 2 Duo CPU only but did not have this problem with
my previous 7900GS card.

Albert

Old January 27th 07, 02:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
goPostal

"Albert Wiersch" wrote in message
I've experienced several spontaneous system reboots since installing a new
XFX 7950GT. I bought this card:

Any ideas?

My thoughts are either the card is defective or the drivers.

I am overclocking my Core 2 Duo CPU only but did not have this problem
with my previous 7900GS card.

Albert

Insufficient powersupply?

Old January 27th 07, 04:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Albert Wiersch

"goPostal" wrote in message

Insufficient powersupply?

Antec 450 watts... so I don't think so. Plus, my power meter (Kill-A-Watt)
never reads much above 200 watts.

Albert

Old January 27th 07, 04:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Andi Cole

I had this with the drivers supplied with my 7950GX2. Remove existing
drivers and clean with drivercleaner and reboot, cancel autodetect new
hardware, download latest driver from nvidia and install those, reboot.

Andi.

Old January 27th 07, 05:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Albert Wiersch

"Andi Cole" wrote in message
I had this with the drivers supplied with my 7950GX2. Remove existing
drivers and clean with drivercleaner and reboot, cancel autodetect new
hardware, download latest driver from nvidia and install those, reboot.

Andi.

Thanks. That would be great if that is the solution. So your computer
spontaneously rebooted once in a while (like maybe once every few days?)

I did install the BETA drivers after having the problem with the release
drivers, but never removed them and used drivercleaner. Will try doing that
though.

Albert

Old January 27th 07, 06:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Albert Wiersch

"Albert Wiersch" wrote in message

I did install the BETA drivers after having the problem with the release
drivers, but never removed them and used drivercleaner. Will try doing
that though.

Well so far so good, but it's too early to tell yet.

I didn't use Cab Cleaner though, even though Driver Cleaner recommended it.

--
Albert Wiersch
Fix your website: http://onlinewebcheck.com

Old January 28th 07, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW

You didn't give much info about your system, but my first take on it is that
you have too underpowered of a power supply unit to drive that card and all
your other computer components. That card is very power demanding, but I
don't know how many other components you have installed in your system that
are draining the PSU.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old January 28th 07, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Albert Wiersch

"DaveW" wrote in message
. ..
You didn't give much info about your system, but my first take on it is
that you have too underpowered of a power supply unit to drive that card
and all your other computer components. That card is very power
demanding, but I don't know how many other components you have installed
in your system that are draining the PSU.

--
DaveW

Antec 450 watts... so I don't think so. Plus, my power meter (Kill-A-Watt)
never reads much above 200 watts when under load. Never seen it above 250
watts.

I do have 3 hard drives in there (Raptor and two Seagate 7200.10 320GB) and
a DVD drive... 2 GB of RAM, a few fans. I think a 450 watt can handle all
that.

Albert

Old January 28th 07, 04:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bill Smith

Might not be related, but when my sons fan died on his video card, it
would re-boot at random...usually while he was gaming ! He ran it like
that for about 2 months. I replaced the fan and he's still usuing that
card...a real prize that one...lol

I'm curious if you have one of the XFX cards that is passive. If so, I
hope you have very good airflow in your case...FYI !