Antec Sonata case + GeForce 8800GTX

Old December 28th 06, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Access

Default Antec Sonata case + GeForce 8800GTX

Hello,

I currently have an Antec Sonata ATX case, any idea if a GeForce 8800 GTX
card will fit into it ??? Anyone with the same set-up ?

Thanks
Matthias

Old December 30th 06, 01:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Measure from the back of an installed slot cover to the hard drive cage. The
8800GTX is 280 mm long, or about 11 inches. Thankfully the power connectors
are at the top edge of the PCB, rather than on the rear edge like most other
cards, so you don't have to account for the power cabling.

Old December 30th 06, 05:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Major Ninth

just be aware that that antec supply has only 1 power connector for the
video card and is a 450 watt supply so it might need to be replaced with a
higher amp on the 12V rails to handle that video card.

-john

Old December 30th 06, 11:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Access

"Major Ninth" wrote in message
just be aware that that antec supply has only 1 power connector for the
video card and is a 450 watt supply so it might need to be replaced with a
higher amp on the 12V rails to handle that video card.

-john

I know, I already ordered a new Antec PS with 2 PCI-e power connectors :-)

Matthias

Old December 30th 06, 11:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Lorne Mower

"Access" wrote in message

"Major Ninth" wrote in message
just be aware that that antec supply has only 1 power connector for the
video card and is a 450 watt supply so it might need to be replaced with
a higher amp on the 12V rails to handle that video card.

-john

I know, I already ordered a new Antec PS with 2 PCI-e power connectors :-)

Matthias

Silly boy!

The 450W psu is more than adequate for a single 8800GTX.

My system (EVGA 680i Mobo, 8800GTX, 2GB PC6400 RAM, 3x320GB HDD, DVD Burner
and Creative XiFi Gamer sound card) pulls 360W on full steam.

Also the 8800GTX comes with a PCI-e power connector adaptor so you can use 2
conventional 4 pin plugs for the extra connector.

..... note I used a Antec Solo case which I had to modify/hack one of the HDD
drive bays to fit the GTX.

BTW very pleased with the 680i mobo - runs a E6600 at 3.4GHz stable with
stock core volts, cooled with thermaltake Sonic Tower with fan.

Lorne

Old December 30th 06, 03:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Again, even though wattage is referred to most often, it says very little.
The Antec SmartPower 450W has two 12V rails, but one is dedicated to the
CPU, presumably to the square 4-pin ATX12V connector. The other rail
supplies 17A, shared among all the drives, fans and expansion cards. I think
it would be difficult to pipe both 12V rails to the card, even with a string
of adapters.

And we are all assuming Matthias has a Sonata II case (though he hasn't
denied it). The original Sonata case had a 380W power supply.

Old December 30th 06, 03:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Access

"Access" wrote in message

"Major Ninth" wrote in message
just be aware that that antec supply has only 1 power connector for the
video card and is a 450 watt supply so it might need to be replaced with
a higher amp on the 12V rails to handle that video card.

-john

I know, I already ordered a new Antec PS with 2 PCI-e power connectors
:-)

Matthias

Silly boy!

The 450W psu is more than adequate for a single 8800GTX.

My system (EVGA 680i Mobo, 8800GTX, 2GB PC6400 RAM, 3x320GB HDD, DVD
Burner and Creative XiFi Gamer sound card) pulls 360W on full steam.

Also the 8800GTX comes with a PCI-e power connector adaptor so you can use
2 conventional 4 pin plugs for the extra connector.

.... note I used a Antec Solo case which I had to modify/hack one of the
HDD drive bays to fit the GTX.

BTW very pleased with the 680i mobo - runs a E6600 at 3.4GHz stable with
stock core volts, cooled with thermaltake Sonic Tower with fan.

Lorne

My Antec Sonata case came with a 380W power supply. I didn't know about the
PCI-e power connector adaptor though ... But the system requirements for a
8800 GTX card say : "Minimum 450W or greater system power supply (with 12V
current rating of 30A)". So 380W will be a bit too risky :-)

Old December 30th 06, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Access

--

Yes, I have the original Sonata case with the 380W power supply.

Matthias

Old December 30th 06, 03:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Lorne Mower

"Access" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry - I was working on the basis that you had a 450W supply, I agree a
380W is too close to the bone.

FWIW I went for a Seasonic 500W supply, and have measured the input power at
360W on full load ( I think the PF is quoted as 0.95 for the Seasonic).

Anyways, good luck with your new rig - have fun!

Lorne