Windows Update NVidia drivers

Old November 9th 06, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
James R. Brown

Default Windows Update NVidia drivers

I have a NVidia GeoForce FX 5200. I've had no problems with it since it came
with my computer a couple of years ago. The other day it locked up, after
the screen going blank I got the blue screen that said the video driver was
in an endless loop. I managed to reboot in safemode with networking and then
download new drivers from NVidia. Once installed, it now works just fine
again.

This morning, the Windows UpDate Site said there was an update for my video
driver. I downloaded and updated and rebooted. My card crashed again the
same way. Once I reinstalled the drivers from NVidia the card works OK
again.

Is there perhaps some sort of problem with the drivers coming from
Microsoft's Windows Update?

Old November 9th 06, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Andi Cole

I've seen this before, video drivers from Windows Update have caused me the
same sort of problems. I always go for the drivers from the video chip
manufacturers site.

Andi.

ink.net...

Old November 9th 06, 07:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
James R. Brown

If I understand Windows UpDate correctly, even if you have 'Automatic
UpDate' turned on, the site should NOT update your video drivers without
your OK. However, I cannot figure out how the Microsoft update version got
on my machine the first time since I do not remember specifically installing
them the first time.

Strange

Old November 9th 06, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dr Teeth

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when "James R. Brown"
opened his gob and said:

Is there perhaps some sort of problem with the drivers coming from
Microsoft's Windows Update?

YES. Never, ever d/l them. ALWAYS get the latest drivers from the
manufacturer's web site.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old November 10th 06, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
James R. Brown

Thanks. (I guess)

I have reinstalled the manufacturer's drivers. I also wonder if perhaps
windows update might AUTOMATICALLY install the WU drivers. I know it is not
supposed to do. Has anybody heard of Windows update automatically installing
DRIVER updates as opposed to only regular updates?

Old November 10th 06, 03:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
pe.rhodes

No, but it's always a good idea to right click 'Start' and do some
exploring. I found a file in Network that was 'ftp://redrogers.com' and I
have no idea where it came from. I got rid of it, I hope!