Low Profile Card Question

Old September 13th 06, 09:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Greg

Default Low Profile Card Question

I have a gateway e-4000 that I've converted into a media center pc. right
now I have a low profile geforce 440 w/64 meg. It has s-video and dvi out. I
want to get something with more ram and slightly better performance. But all
the low profile cards I've looked at on new have a longer bracket that wont
fit in the gateway. When I say bracket, I mean the metal piece that has the
connections in it. Some of the video cards I've seen have the vga on a
ribbon cable. Is it possible to take off the longer brackets and replace
them with a shorter one and have a separate bracket for the vga in an empty
slot next to the apg slot. kind of like a daughter card without the actual
card? I've done some research and have seen the brackets with the holes cut
out for the dvi and s-video connection and one for the vga connection. I
just don't want to buy a card only to find that I cant remove the existing
bracket and replace it with the shorter profile bracket.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg

Old September 14th 06, 10:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Andi Cole

Yes, if you can get the right low profile bracket. There was a time when low
profile cards came with both standard and low profile brackets.

Andi.

Old September 14th 06, 10:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Greg

Thanks, Andi. I've seen them on other sites. But wasn't sure if they were
exclusively for a particular card or any card in general that was deemed
"low profile".

Old September 15th 06, 11:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Andi Cole

Not all cards use the same position for the VGA or DVI connector, I must
admit that I've also used one without a bracket! temporarily ;-)

Andi.

Old September 15th 06, 09:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Pete

"Greg" wrote in
:

[...]

I'm using this:

http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_inf...eforce-fx5200-
video-card-128mb-ddr-tvout-8x-agp/cName/video-cards

with this:

http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_inf...e-pci-bracket-
for-evga-fx5200/cName/video-cards

I agree, they're hard to find.