***Gabe Newell needs our help, HL2's source is in the wild.***

Old October 4th 03, 12:32 AM
i'm_tired

Derek Wildstar wrote:
"i'm_tired" wrote in message
. net...

It wouldn't be the first time in history
that crying "Thief!" (or in this case, "Hacker Thief!") saved some
incompetent fools' job.

That's a wonderful theory, except it makes absolutely no sense: Gabe
Newell himself is reporting the loss, and he has the most to lose.

Why would he make this report, unless it was the truth?

I assure you, they understand security, and how important their data
is. Think more, type less.

Well, according to this story http://www.msnbc.com/news/975464.asp?0cv=TA00
from MSNBC, the code was posted on the internet (have a look around various
binary groups on usenet and wapr2search might provide expected results)
before they said they lost control of their code.

Furthermore... This might sound a bit like a flame, but in response to
"think more type less", I guesse I really don't ca Uhhh, are you daft?
Do you think that Newell has nothing to lose? Do you think he owns the
whole kit&kaboodle of Valve? Do you think he answers to no one? Do you
think that Valve is a sole entity with no other investors or involved
companies?

Sorry charlie, it doesn't work that way. Pick up any game title on the
shelf of any store. Look at all the logos on the back. Just as an example,
I'm looking at an Epic Software title on my desk right now. It has an Atari
logo (and about 4 others) prominently displayed. Next to that is an Edios
title with a Yukes logo and a Sony logo. Next to that is a Universal
Interactive title with a Black label Games logo and a Surreal Software logo
and a Ravinoxe6 logo (sp? that's a company I'm not familiar with). I could
go on and on. In fact, there are three other logos on my second copy of
Half Life (my first came from one of their reps at a show three weeks before
the game was released and has no labeling to speak of).

You are starting to sound a bit like Dave Kosak. He's a good guy, I
suppose, but he gets rather attached to some of the game developers and
their reps sometimes and he doesn't see the truth in front of his nose.

Old October 4th 03, 01:23 AM
who be dat?

Did you not read the original message that started this thread?! The poster
of the original message posted the message from Gabe Newell that has started
this little internet hunt. He stated the keyboard recorder was something
they have not seen anywhere else (specifically says it appeared it was
written/customized specifically for Valve) and the virus scanners couldn't
detect it, among other things. Go back and reread Gabe's message. It's
suprisingly brief but yet informative.

Whoever did this did a damn good job and valve was specifically targetted.
I will be intrigued to see if they find out who did it, if anyone. C-ya!

Chris Smith

"ho alexandre" wrote in message
who be dat? wrote:
because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Everything
was up to date.

How do you know that ? Who are you ?

--
XandreX
/I'm that kind of people your parents warned you about/

Old October 4th 03, 01:23 AM
who be dat?

"i'm_tired" wrote in message
. net...
ho alexandre wrote:
who be dat? wrote:
because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Everything was up to date.

How do you know that ? Who are you ?

Chris Smith admitted to being an ATI employee some months ago. But
regardless if that entitles him to inside knowledge from valve or not, the
claim from Newell is that everything was up to date.

**** off dork. Why can't people have serious discussions without you
popping in here?

Chris Smith

Old October 4th 03, 01:30 AM
who be dat?

"ho alexandre" wrote in message
who be dat? wrote:
You might want to go read up on what happened before you type this crap
because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Everything
was up to date. Somehow, they used vulnerabilities in Outlook to

install
keyboard recorders and such without anyone knowing it. This was custom
stuff that no virus scanner was going to find. Whoever did this did a

damn
good job.

Well in that case they shouldn't have used a software that has serious
vulnerabilities.

Moreover there are official patches that prevent attachments to be
interpreted while using the preview pane. And it is possible to not
interpret HTML in mails, even in Outlook.

Moreover, once the keylogger is in the place, it still has to send the
result back. A firewall can prevent those things from happening. I doubt
the keylogger is only VBS !

Part of me has to agree with the "shouldn't have used a software that has
serious vulnerabilities" statement. MS has had so many problems lately, I
can't believe anyone with any concerns relating to security would use their
stuff. I would think at least developing the game on a LAN without a 'net
connection would be called for, give the programmers a second system so they
can send email that's not physically connected to the development system.
Heck, make the second system some PII piece of crap, don't need a costly
super machine to send email.

As far as disabling HTML, it's possible to attach ActiveX to emails that
don't have HTML in them. With ActiveX, MS created a system where it's
virtually possible to do anything on your computer without you knowing it.
They are still coping with that.

You've got a good point about the keylogger though. However, there are a
number of possibilities to deal with that. Gabe mentions in his message to
the community that his email had been compromised. Maybe the results from
the Keylogger were emailed out under a fake user and they simply never
noticed it for some reason? Who knows.

I will be interested to hear how this happens.

Chris Smith

Old October 4th 03, 01:33 AM
who be dat?

What name were you posting under not long ago? I remember your BS now.
Changing your monikor (spelling?) doesn't hide your child like comprehension
of events nor does it disguise your worthless responses.

Chris Smith

"i'm_tired" wrote in message

Old October 4th 03, 01:37 AM
who be dat?

heheh Thanks I suppose. I'm not the end all of everything, I just read what
I read and understand it. If I don't have some idea what I'm talking about,
I don't respond at the drop of a dime all the time to see my name in print
unlike some punks (i.e. i'm_tired) around here do.

That inside job comment has me wondering. Like Ho Alexandre observed in
another response (and was something that didn't occur to me at all), hard to
believe the info from the key logger program/virus/whatever was transmitted
through the firewall without them seeing it although it's certainly
possible.

Chris Smith

"Derek Wildstar" wrote in message

"who be dat?" wrote in message
You might want to go read up on what happened before you type this crap
because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Everything
was up to date. Somehow, they used vulnerabilities in Outlook to

install
keyboard recorders and such without anyone knowing it. This was custom
stuff that no virus scanner was going to find. Whoever did this did a

damn
good job.

Chris Smith

No matter what, I can usually count on you to be up to date and informed
Chris, unlike most of these readers...this was indeed a very sophisticated
black-bag job.

Without turning on the conspiracy amplifier, either this was an inside

job,
or the work of the best Corporate spies money can buy.

Old October 4th 03, 01:48 AM
i'm_tired

who be dat? wrote:
What name were you posting under not long ago? I remember your BS
now. Changing your monikor (spelling?) doesn't hide your child like
comprehension of events nor does it disguise your worthless responses.

I've never used any name but this one, but I did quit "X-No-Archive: Yes" my
posts when I quit posting with Pan due to software changes here. It is a
hassle to remember to do it with OE.

Old October 4th 03, 01:49 AM
i'm_tired

who be dat? wrote:
"i'm_tired" wrote in message
. net...
ho alexandre wrote:
who be dat? wrote:
because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Everything was up to date.

How do you know that ? Who are you ?

Chris Smith admitted to being an ATI employee some months ago. But
regardless if that entitles him to inside knowledge from valve or
not, the claim from Newell is that everything was up to date.

**** off dork. Why can't people have serious discussions without you
popping in here?

When is the last time you posted even a shred of helpful information? You
are a ****ing troll and a crybaby.

Old October 4th 03, 04:32 AM
who be dat?

Dear i'm_tired,

Yeah, you're right. I sure am. Since I'm such a waste of your time, please
add me to your kill file. I never change my name or anything so it should
be easy for you to do. No fuss, guaranteed.

Yer Pal,
Chris Smith

"i'm_tired" wrote in message
who be dat? wrote:
"i'm_tired" wrote in message
. net...

Old October 4th 03, 04:34 AM
who be dat?

No, I remember you. You called me an ATi employ in the past and spouted BS
like this before. Are you that Nvidia_dude or whatever his name was that
used to run around here? Yeah, you posted here under a different name,
can't quite remember what it was. Guess sheep bangers like you have to
hide. I don't, so slack off.

Chris Smith