Reassigning hard drive (by letter)

Old December 30th 07, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
aidan707

Default Reassigning hard drive (by letter)

I have an external hard drive I have been hooking up to my laptop which
has been working fine for months as drive E. I got a new camera for
Christmas, and even when it isn't plugged in it has assigned itself to
drive E and jumped my external hard drive up to F. I realize all of my
files are still stored, but is there anyway I can re assign my hard
drive back to E so I don't have to change all of my shortcuts? It's
making iTunes especially difficult....

-Aidan

Old December 31st 07, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

aidan707 wrote:
I have an external hard drive I have been hooking up to my laptop which
has been working fine for months as drive E. I got a new camera for
Christmas, and even when it isn't plugged in it has assigned itself to
drive E and jumped my external hard drive up to F. I realize all of my
files are still stored, but is there anyway I can re assign my hard
drive back to E so I don't have to change all of my shortcuts? It's
making iTunes especially difficult....

-Aidan

This guy offers tools and advice (he visits microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
every so often). I don't have any experience with this one, but maybe it can help.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Paul

Old December 31st 07, 03:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:34:22 -0600, aidan707
wrote:

I have an external hard drive I have been hooking up to my laptop which
has been working fine for months as drive E. I got a new camera for
Christmas, and even when it isn't plugged in it has assigned itself to
drive E and jumped my external hard drive up to F. I realize all of my
files are still stored, but is there anyway I can re assign my hard
drive back to E so I don't have to change all of my shortcuts? It's
making iTunes especially difficult....

-Aidan

In windows go into Computer Management - Drive Management.
Click on the volume in the top right hand panel to highlight
it, right-click it and "Change Drive Letter" (or similar
wording).

If the camera (or dock or something else) is shown in Disk
Management as having the drive letter you wanted for the
extrenal drive, you may first have to reassign the device
using the letter you want to have freed up for reassignment
to the external drive). IOW, support you saw a device using
E, you could temporarily assign that device to Z
temporarily, then assign the external drive to E now that E
is available, then reassign the device you had temporarily
assigned to Z, to F now that the external is not F anymore.