Have problems setting up my secondary drive

Old December 29th 04, 05:07 AM
sammyc521

Default Have problems setting up my secondary drive

I just bought a new HD for my computer. It's the same model as my
primary drive [that has my OS installed to it.]

I have them both set to cable select with the jumpers in the proper
place. The primary drive is plugged into the IDE cable at the end and
the secondary drive plugged into the middle IDE cable.

THe BIOS and boot up screen both recognize the secondary drive. But
when XP loads up, it doesn't acknowledge that the secondary drive is
there at all. What could I be doing wrong?

Old December 29th 04, 05:52 AM
John Smith

I assime that you mean it doesn't show in 'My Computer'.

Go to 'control panel', 'admin tools','computer management', storage', disk
management' and see if the drive is there. It should show as unallocated I
believe.
Right click on the drive and you can partition it and format it.

Old December 29th 04, 08:45 AM
Boba & Ilinka

Are the cables 40 or 80 wires?
Boba Vancouver bc

"sammyc521" wrote in message
I just bought a new HD for my computer. It's the same model as my
primary drive [that has my OS installed to it.]

I have them both set to cable select with the jumpers in the proper
place. The primary drive is plugged into the IDE cable at the end and
the secondary drive plugged into the middle IDE cable.

THe BIOS and boot up screen both recognize the secondary drive. But
when XP loads up, it doesn't acknowledge that the secondary drive is
there at all. What could I be doing wrong?

Problems installing a secondary hard drive bunker1275 General 4 October 13th 04 06:48 AM
Hard Drive Problems CableGuy General 6 August 30th 04 06:44 AM
Mysterious Hard Drive Problem Bill Anderson General 4 January 18th 04 03:43 AM
Hard Drive Partition problems probe47 General 1 December 17th 03 02:05 PM
Help! WinXP can't tell that my 2nd hard drive is already formatted FitPhillyGuy General 12 September 26th 03 03:38 AM