Playing games and video on TFT/LCD monitors at non-native res

Old October 25th 04, 06:40 PM
Inglo

Default Playing games and video on TFT/LCD monitors at non-native res

Before purchasing a Sony TFT LCD monitor I'd read lots of opinions that
playing games at non native resolutions would look terrible. I've found
the opposite to be the case, on my old 19" Dell CRT playing games at
800x600 was completely unacceptable, but since I got this monitor I've
been playing Doom 3 at 800x600 and I think it looks great. Same goes
for 1024x768, the monitor's native resolution is 1280x1024. The monitor
is a Sony SDM-X73 17" w/ 16ms response time and I'm using the DVI
connection and I have a 9800 Pro. What's the actual issue with this,
maybe my eyes are just to bad to notice what's wrong?

I have a couple of questions regarding the Catalyst options, what is
"scale image to panel size"? I assumed that if left unchecked playing a
game at 1024x768 would result in a border around the image, but leaving
it unchecked doesn't seem to have an effect for me.

In the latest 4.10 CCC, the option for "alternative DVI mode" is
missing. Where does this come into effect? The only thing I am not
finding excellent about this monitor is video playback. Playing a VCD
with 352x254 or DivX AVI at 448x336 resolution at full screen, for
example, does not look as good as on the old CRT, maybe that's just
because all the imperfections are showing up. Any tips on getting
better video with a Radeon + DVI TFT set up? Do you have to fiddle with
the actual screen resolution to get a better picture?

--
"Coming soon: Meatspace spyware, little men who live in your cupboards
and watch what you eat and then try to sell you timeshares in Toronto."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com