A7N8X-E Deluxe crash + other problems

Old February 15th 05, 09:25 PM
fgh

Default A7N8X-E Deluxe crash + other problems

Hi all,

my problems started as I upgraded my system from an
AthlonXP2600+(fsp=166MHz) to 3200+(fsp=200MHz).
The system crashes (reboots) between 1min too 1h after switching power
on. First I blame the asynchronous running memory (2x512Mb PC2700) for
that. Then I purchased a DDR400(SamsungPC400) memory and run the
system as before in
dual-channel mode but with a fsb 200(400). The same happend as before.
Only the decrease of the fsb from 200 to (now I am at) 190MHz prolong
the time to crash. Looking at the Asus-Probe-utility it seems that the
voltage monitor show some very large jumps in vcore and small once at
+3.3V the other signals remain very constant.
The PSU should not be the reason for this (Enermax E475W). More likely
it could be that the Asus-Probe utility is not able to work with the
decreased fsb. Anyway the board should handle the 200(400)MHz fsb.

Additionally I have the following problem. One month after purchasing
the mobo the OS's (I use W2KSp4 and WXPProSp2) are not able to detect
my modem (ElsaMicrolinkOffice fax-modem) at the COM1 (also not at
COM2). I had this problem also with my previous mobo an A7N8X-Deluxe.
I thought that problem was solved after I unmounted the mobo and
vacuumed the comp case. But suddenly the undetection appeared again
and holds on till now.

Could anyone help me to solve my problems?

my system:
GraphicCard: Radeon9500
ScsiCard: Adaptec2940U2W
SoundCard: CreativeSBAudigy2ZSPlatinum
TV-Card: Thyphoon??
4Drives(2xSCSI[Fuitsu,IBM) 2xIDE[WD,Samsung)
2DVD-Drives(Toshiba 1612,Sony DRU500A)
Old February 15th 05, 11:17 PM
Larry Gagnon

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:25:05 -0800, fgh wrote:

Hi all,

my problems started as I upgraded my system from an
AthlonXP2600+(fsp=166MHz) to 3200+(fsp=200MHz).
The system crashes (reboots) between 1min too 1h after switching power
on. First I blame the asynchronous running memory (2x512Mb PC2700) for
that. Then I purchased a DDR400(SamsungPC400) memory and run the
system as before in
dual-channel mode but with a fsb 200(400). The same happend as before.
Only the decrease of the fsb from 200 to (now I am at) 190MHz prolong
the time to crash. L

[snip]

Did you increase Vcore and Vdimm? That might solve your problem. When you
increase FSB you often have to up Vcore to keep the system stable. You may
have to do the same for Vdimm.

Larry
Old February 23rd 05, 11:55 PM
fgh

Larry Gagnon wrote in message news:pan.2005.02.15.23.17.06.381453@fakeuniserve. com...
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:25:05 -0800, fgh wrote:

Hi all,

my problems started as I upgraded my system from an
AthlonXP2600+(fsp=166MHz) to 3200+(fsp=200MHz).
The system crashes (reboots) between 1min too 1h after switching power
on. First I blame the asynchronous running memory (2x512Mb PC2700) for
that. Then I purchased a DDR400(SamsungPC400) memory and run the
system as before in
dual-channel mode but with a fsb 200(400). The same happend as before.
Only the decrease of the fsb from 200 to (now I am at) 190MHz prolong
the time to crash. L

[snip]

Did you increase Vcore and Vdimm? That might solve your problem. When you
increase FSB you often have to up Vcore to keep the system stable. You may
have to do the same for Vdimm.

Larry

Thank you for your tip Larry.
I tried only to decrease the fsb (200-190MHz) and did not decrease
the Vcore and Vdimm (is this necessary??).
But I think, the problem was a bug in the mobo. Because after
returning the old- and switching to a new A7N8X-E the problems with
unexpected rebooting disappeared. Now I am using the default values in
the bios for both - cpu and memory.

But still I have the problem with the external modem at COM1.
My workarround up to now was, to plug in a PCI-modem. But this should
not be the final solve of my problem.

Perhaps there are other possibilities too.

Thanks in advance.

Gottfried
Old February 24th 05, 01:51 PM
Axl Myk

I have a similar problem with rebooting.. I'll start the machine up,
and 1/3 of the time it will reboot after getting to the desktop.. Other
times it will reboot by itself for no reason.. I set the BIOS for 100%
instead of SPD and that seemed to help a bit.. I ran memtest86 and got
many errors #5 and a few #8..
I went to the Memtest86 website to find a reason for the errors.. The
#5 comes up most often with their ram in an AMD box.. Well, that is
just wonderful.. The Crucial ram-guide picked this for me.. So much
for their choices..

My system:
ASUS a7n8x e-dlx
AMD 3200+
Crucial 1gb 2x512 CT6464z40b
PNY Verto Nvidia G-force FX 5700 ultra 128mb
Ram timings 8-3-3-3 tried 7-3-3-3 with no difference
FSB at 200 for 400 DDR
CPU and Ram Volts on auto, I'll have to reboot to get the actuals..

If this Crucial ram is the problem, I'm looking at the Corsair TwinX
3200XL ram.. Any suggestions on that? Go higher speed than the 400?

TIA