8KNXP, How to boot from SATA if PATA present?

Old September 9th 03, 04:54 PM
klausa2

Default 8KNXP, How to boot from SATA if PATA present?

Hi,

I have a PATA drive connected to IDE0 master, and one SATA connected
to ICH5R, SATA 0. Both have a bootable W2K partition and boot well if
only on is present. But if both drives are connected the pc alway
boots from the PATA drive. How can I change that? I set OnChip SATA
manual, to SATA0, Raid disabled,. onboard GigaRAID and Onboard SATA
disabled. Bottorder1. floppy, 2. cdrom, 3 HDD-0. There seems to be no
SATA in the bootorder, not even a SATA-RAID or PATA-Raid. Any ideas?
TIA - Klaus

Old September 10th 03, 03:26 PM
Michael Len

Try setting "SATA Port0 Configure as" to IDE Pri. Master. I find that
if it is set to SATA Port0 my SATA HD does not get detected.

Old September 10th 03, 07:24 PM
David D.

The 8KNXP seems quite quirky to set up if you want to boot off the
SATA and also have drives plugged into IDE1. The solution saying to
set "SATA Port0 Configure as" to IDE Pri. Master might work, but you
will run into problems if you then actually want to use the Primary
IDE connector later. One thing you are going to need to do is set
"SATA RAID Function" to Enabled (even if you're not doing RAID). I've
also found that until Windows has the SATA drivers installed in
Windows, it won't boot off an SATA drive unless you have nothing
plugged into IDE1. I just went through this last night so maybe some
of this will help. Note: I don't use RAID at all.

Drives in my system:
200GB SATA drive in SATA channel 1 (Boot drive)
80GB PATA drive in IDE1 Master
40GB PATA drive in IDE1 Slave
DVD ATAPI drive in IDE2 Master
CD ATAPI drive in IDE2 Slave
18 GB PATA drive in IDE3 Master
Zip PATA drive in IDE4 Master

BIOS: (F6)
On-Chip Primary PCI IDE = Enabled
On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE = Enabled
On-Chip SATA = Manual
SATA Port0 Configure as = SATA Port0
SATA RAID Function = Enabled
Onboard H/W SATA = Enabled
Serial ATA function = Base
GigaRaid Function = ATA

Notes:
* While installing windows XP, I must unplug the IDE1 cable otherwise
the SATA drive will not be seen. This is true even if I install the
ICH drivers off a floppy using F6 during install, and even though the
BIOS reports all the drives just fine. After Windows is installed and
the drivers installed off the Gigabyte CD, I can then plug IDE1 back
in and everything is just hunky-dory.

Dave

Old September 10th 03, 09:18 PM
Taliska

Yep, the secret is to enable the SATA RAID, then you can choose it in the
boot order.

I installed the O/S with the SATA drivers loaded in the install process - I
don't know if you can add them in later - you probably can.

Remapping the SATA to be a PATA is not the best idea as you lose
connectivity for 2 PATA drives.

I have 2 120G SATA drives, 1 DVD on IDE0, 1 CD on IDE1 and an old 40G drive
on the ITE IDE ports. I found it was most reliable if all RAIDs were
enabled, then set SATA RAID to boot first.

I've got F5 BIOS - haven't yet dared to upgrade to F6 - machine boots
correctly 95% of the time.

Taliska

om...

Old September 12th 03, 04:16 PM
klausa2

Thanks. Very good advice. I can boot now. - Klaus

Old September 12th 03, 10:52 PM
Tim

Thanks from me too - this had been bugging me for some time.

BTW: bios f6 does seem good. This news group has gone silent about many
issues on 8knxp since it was released.

- Tim

"Taliska" wrote in message
Yep, the secret is to enable the SATA RAID, then you can choose it in the
boot order.

I installed the O/S with the SATA drivers loaded in the install process -

don't know if you can add them in later - you probably can.

Remapping the SATA to be a PATA is not the best idea as you lose
connectivity for 2 PATA drives.

I have 2 120G SATA drives, 1 DVD on IDE0, 1 CD on IDE1 and an old 40G

drive
on the ITE IDE ports. I found it was most reliable if all RAIDs were
enabled, then set SATA RAID to boot first.

I've got F5 BIOS - haven't yet dared to upgrade to F6 - machine boots
correctly 95% of the time.

Taliska

om...

Old September 13th 03, 01:41 AM
Martin Nike

I have a PATA drive connected to IDE0 master, and one SATA connected
to ICH5R, SATA 0. Both have a bootable W2K partition and boot well if
only on is present. But if both drives are connected the pc alway
boots from the PATA drive. How can I change that? I set OnChip SATA
manual, to SATA0, Raid disabled,. onboard GigaRAID and Onboard SATA
disabled. Bottorder1. floppy, 2. cdrom, 3 HDD-0. There seems to be no
SATA in the bootorder, not even a SATA-RAID or PATA-Raid. Any ideas?
TIA - Klaus

I have 1 SATA drive (Set up as SATA0), and Four PATA on the GigaRAiD channel
plus 3 CD/DVD devices on the normal IDE.

I eventually got it to boot by using the SATAA connectors (The hot pluggable
ones) and removing SCSI from the boot option. I also had to install drivers
for the SATA while it was being used as "IDE3" initially - however I set the
assignment back to AUTO afterwards.

..

P4P800-E : When an IDE drive is connected, impossible to boot from SATA Martin Asus Motherboards 4 January 6th 05 06:01 PM
SATA Boot drive and IDE data drives? me!! Asus Motherboards 5 June 14th 04 08:05 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking 333 November 27th 03 08:54 PM
8knxp bios Tim Gigabyte Motherboards 0 August 20th 03 02:03 AM
A7N8X Dx SATA-only boot... Phut Asus Motherboards 2 July 22nd 03 09:27 PM