Need suggestions for upgrade, my mobo is dead :(

Old September 20th 04, 03:22 AM
Dae

Default Need suggestions for upgrade, my mobo is dead :(

I have a system built around a SOYO TISU motherboard that has just
crapped out on me. It kept looking up while surfing the web, then
started random reboot, froze sometimes verifying the DMI pool, and now
while trying to update the BIOS locked up in the middle of the session.
Basicly the board is now toast.

What I'm looking for is a very low cost solution to move my existing
parts to a new motherboard, processor and memory.

Can anyone recommand a setup for such? I already have a P4 powersupply
with the extra 12v plug, so I think all I will need is a mobo, processor
and memory as I'll just move the rest of the parts over.

Need to know ASAP as I'm getting hell from the old lady becuase her
computer is now dead.

BTW, I'd like to stay around the $200 bucks and use a ASUS mobo as I
remember in the old days there seemed to have the reputation for stable
systems.

Thanks!!

Old September 20th 04, 04:31 AM
Cuzman

"Dae" wrote in message

" I'd like to stay around the $200 bucks and use a ASUS mobo as I remember
in the old days there seemed to have the reputation for stable systems. "

I see that the SY-SITU is socket-370 and SDRAM.
http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=9 As long as they still
work, you could sell your CPU and RAM on eBay after the upgrade, which will
lighten the blow.

As long as your PSU can handle it, you can get this for $230:

- Asus A7N8X-X http://snipurl.com/96n4 $59.00
(400FSB for maximum upgrade potential)
- AMD Athlon XP 2500+ http://snipurl.com/6bf2 $96.00
(set it at 200FSB and you have a 3200+)
- KingMax 512MB PC3200 CL2.5 http://snipurl.com/8xm5 $75.00

Old September 20th 04, 04:34 AM
Al

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:22:13 -0400, Dae wrote:

[...]

I've been looking too - my ECS Mobo went South.

How about this:

ASUS 5x PCI Mobo $69:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...131-501&depa=0

Sampron 2400+ 333 bus for $66:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...104-210&depa=0

Memory $46 (with extra speed):

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...141-425&depa=0

Bump up the processor to 2500+ if you have the extra $$.

Good Luck!
Old September 20th 04, 05:10 AM
Pat Blank

Dae wrote in
:

[edit]
BTW, I'd like to stay around the $200 bucks and use a ASUS mobo as I
remember in the old days there seemed to have the reputation for
stable systems.

Thanks!!

Lots of choices in that budget. An Intel (actual Intel) 845GV board with
a Celeron 2.4G and 256MB RAM can be had for under $200. Should be plenty
stable and quick for basic use.

--
pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)hotmail(dot)com
"The examined life is no picnic." - Robert Fulghum
Old September 20th 04, 06:03 AM
sheer

"Cuzman" wrote in message
"Dae" wrote in message

" I'd like to stay around the $200 bucks and use a ASUS mobo as I

remember
in the old days there seemed to have the reputation for stable systems. "

I see that the SY-SITU is socket-370 and SDRAM.
http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=9 As long as they still
work, you could sell your CPU and RAM on eBay after the upgrade, which

will
lighten the blow.

As long as your PSU can handle it, you can get this for $230:

- Asus A7N8X-X http://snipurl.com/96n4 $59.00
(400FSB for maximum upgrade potential)
- AMD Athlon XP 2500+ http://snipurl.com/6bf2 $96.00
(set it at 200FSB and you have a 3200+)
- KingMax 512MB PC3200 CL2.5 http://snipurl.com/8xm5 $75.00

Dae go with Cuzmans recommendation, I did a similar upgrade for a friend and
it is the smartest bang for buck upgrade you will get based on the
overclocking capability of the CPU.

Old September 20th 04, 06:52 AM
Dae

Al wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking that the video card in the old system is just to old; well
all these new AGP 8X and different voltage things has me worried about
compatibility. So how about a low cost video card and new case? Do you
think I can still stay around $200?

Thanks!

Old September 20th 04, 07:38 AM
David Maynard

Dae wrote:

Al wrote:

[...]

You could, of course, get a replacement socket 370 mobo and reuse
everything else, including the CPU and RAM.

Old September 20th 04, 09:33 AM
Paul

In article , Dae wrote:

Al wrote:
[...]

These two boards have integrated graphics. The graphics data is
stored in main memory. For best graphics performance, it helps
to have two sticks of ram, for dual channel operation. Decide
how much ram you want, split the number in two, and buy two
sticks. The following examples assume you want 512MB total ram.

In this first example, the processor is pretty crappy, but the
RAM is good enough, so that you can upgrade with a better processor
in the future.

In the second example, the Nforce2 chipset is supposed to be
pretty picky about brands of RAM. I've tried to select a cheap
memory, but don't really know if it will work well or not.

P4P800-VM (P4, Integrated Graphics) $91 Newegg
Twinmos 256MB PC3200 N82E16820218059 $41 each, 2x Newegg
Celeron 1.8GHz/FSB400/128KB cache Willemette $57 Newegg
total = $230

(For graphics stability, buy PC2700 ram for this one...)
A7N8X-VM/400 (Athlon, Integrated Graphics) $79 Newegg
Twinmos 256MB PC2700 Cas2.5 N82E16820218057 $40 each, 2x Newegg
AthlonXP 2500+/FSB333/512KB cache Barton (retail w. fan) $96 Newegg
total = $255

If you need to save more money, I found this one. It has
integrated graphics, but would be slower than the two above.

ASRock "K7S41GX" SiS741GX Chipset, AMD, N82E16813157022 $42 Newegg
Twinmos 256MB PC2700 Cas2.5 N82E16820218057 $40 each, 2x Newegg
AthlonXP 2500+/FSB333/512KB cache Barton (retail w. fan) $96 Newegg
total = $218

You can get the 2500+ for cheaper at a place besides Newegg, but
of course buying parts from two places will increase the shipping
cost. Buying a retail processor gets you a heatsink/fan, so watch
out for OEM units, as you'll need to buy a heatsink/fan separately
to go with an OEM processor.

Have fun,
Paul
Old September 20th 04, 07:55 PM
Al

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:52:00 -0400, Dae wrote:

I'm thinking that the video card in the old system is just to old; well
all these new AGP 8X and different voltage things has me worried about
compatibility. So how about a low cost video card and new case? Do you
think I can still stay around $200?

Thanks!

This ATI/OEM based card has worked well for me:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...102-279&depa=0

For about $5 more they have a version with 64MB at 400 MHz, but note
it doesn't have the DVI connector:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...102-231&depa=0

I have had trouble booting with Nvidia cards on some machines. It's
too bad because they work very well otherwise.
Old September 21st 04, 05:35 AM
Dae

Everyone,

Thanks for your assistance. I ended up spending more then I wanted but
below is what I ordered. Please review and let me know if you feel
everything should be good. BTW, I found that the old system had a ATI
Xpert 2000 23 MB with the Rage 129 Pro. I've got my fingers crossed
that it'll work for now because I really can't afford to spend more then
what I just spent.

Product Description Unit Price
MB ASUS A7V880 VIA KT880 RTL $69.00
CPU AMD|SEMPRN 1.66GHZ SDA2400BOX $66.00
TWINMOS DUAL 256MBX2 DDR TM400/512% $79.00
CASE ROSEWILL|TU-155 BLACK 400W $40.00

subtotal: $254.00
1 year extended warranty fee: $0.00
Shipping & Handling: $20.98
Grand Total: $274.98

Man, I feel like a cheap SOB, but after buying a new fridge, mower,
grill and garage door opener this last week, I just can't afford it!
Why is it when one thing has to be replaced, everything else needs to be
replaced at the same time??