NVIDIA nforce2 M/B chipset with Radeon Graphics cards

Old January 4th 04, 01:04 PM
Hm

Default NVIDIA nforce2 M/B chipset with Radeon Graphics cards

Hi there,

I'd appreciate a bit of help. I am currently running a Mesh PC based
on an Athlon 800 which I have had for aorund 3 to 4 years and I have
decided to upgrade to a PC based on an Athlon XP2800+ (Barton).

I have built PCs before but not for around 7 or 8 years so I am now
well out of touch.

The motherboard I plan to use is the Gigabyte GA-79400Pro2. My
question may be totally irrelevant, but this motherboard uses an
NVIDIA nforce2 Ultra 400 chipset and I plan to use it with a Radeon
9600XT graphics card. Are there likely to be any incompatibiliteis?
Would I be better off with an NVIDIA graphics card or switching to a
Gigabyte GA-7VT600-1394 motherboard that uses a VIA Apollo KT600
chipset?

Finally, any advice about whether to use 400 MHz or 333MHz memory and
anything else to worry about?

Any advice appreciated

Harry
Old January 4th 04, 03:06 PM
Dave C.

" Hm" wrote in message
[...]

The nvidia chipsets are awesome, no way would I think about anything made by
VIA if I was building today. Your choice of graphics card is good, also.
No problems. The CPU you chose is a 333MHz chip. You will likely have
better benchmark results using 333MHz memory. For real-world performance
though, I doubt if 400MHz memory would slow you down noticeably, even though
the CPU and memory would be running asynchronously. Also, it is somewhat
unlikely that you will want either 333 OR 400MHz memory when you build your
next system, so future-proofing is not a consideration. I'd probably buy
400 OR 333, whichever is cheapest. If the same price, go for 333.
IMHO -Dave

Old January 4th 04, 04:21 PM
Ctal

" Hm" wrote in message
The motherboard I plan to use is the Gigabyte GA-79400Pro2. My
question may be totally irrelevant, but this motherboard uses an
NVIDIA nforce2 Ultra 400 chipset and I plan to use it with a Radeon
9600XT graphics card. Are there likely to be any incompatibiliteis?
Would I be better off with an NVIDIA graphics card or switching to a
Gigabyte GA-7VT600-1394 motherboard that uses a VIA Apollo KT600
chipset?

The Radeon cards work just fine with the Nvidia chipsets, no compatibility
issues.

Old January 4th 04, 06:32 PM
Shawk

"Ctal" wrote in message
.com...

" Hm" wrote in message
The motherboard I plan to use is the Gigabyte GA-79400Pro2. My
question may be totally irrelevant, but this motherboard uses an
NVIDIA nforce2 Ultra 400 chipset and I plan to use it with a Radeon
9600XT graphics card. Are there likely to be any incompatibiliteis?
Would I be better off with an NVIDIA graphics card or switching to a
Gigabyte GA-7VT600-1394 motherboard that uses a VIA Apollo KT600
chipset?

The Radeon cards work just fine with the Nvidia chipsets, no compatibility
issues.

Always previously been a VIA user but I've just (last week) built a XP2800+
PC with an NForce2 mobo (NF7-S), 1gig PC3200 memory, Win XP Pro and am using
a Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro with no probs whatsoever.

Have fun. Shawk.

Old January 5th 04, 12:48 AM
rotor

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:04:20 GMT, ( Hm)
wrote:

[...]

Running GA7n400 Pro2 Mobo 3200 Athlon And 1.5 Gig Twinmos DDR 400 With
Radeon 9500 pro. It Rocks !
Have Tried Various Combinations of cpu and ram in the board the most
interesting was 1000 athlon with 512 333 kingston with a G Force Ti
5600 Graphics card, The Performace was teriffic with only a slight
slowdown in some intensive games due to the aged Cpu.
Just shows you that the Cpu choice isnt too important unless you are a
gamer wanting the very best.
Only trouble I found with the board was that it diddnt like to be
overclocked and refused to boot if trying to do so, and removal of the
Cmos battery together with disconection from the mains was the only
way to recover it. Nevertheless This prob aside, You wont go far wrong
with this choice of board, Very quick indeed !

Rotor:-