Question regarding "bad" ram stick

Old December 17th 04, 05:56 PM
me at yomamas

Default Question regarding "bad" ram stick

I recently put together an upgrade system from parts which came partly
from ebay. I got a MSI K8T Neo-2F and Athlon 64 - 3000+ from mwave
new, and paired that with a 1GB stick of generic used ram from ebay.
It appears likely the ram has a small problem.

When I run memtest86 on this setup, there is always an error at two
locations on this stick, no matter what timings I have tried. Mind
you, before I updated the bios there were some other flaky things
happening here (i.e., XP only acknowledged 256MB of the 1 GB to exist,
although other programs such as CPU-Z would list at 1 GB). But only
memtest86 has ever given me a problem here. I have another memory test
that runs under XP, it will run all day w/o error. If I do not
overclock, Prime95 will run all day with no error.

Can I just use this stick w/o problems? I have yet to notice much
problem here, just the memtest86 error. I also have a stick of Kbyte
256MB from Staples, it runs MUCH worse with MANY more errors than this
generic stick.

Are there any other things I can try here? Any other memory tests to
cross-check this result?
Old December 17th 04, 07:11 PM
Steve Wolfe

When I run memtest86 on this setup, there is always an error at two
locations on this stick, no matter what timings I have tried. Mind
you, before I updated the bios there were some other flaky things
happening here (i.e., XP only acknowledged 256MB of the 1 GB to exist,
although other programs such as CPU-Z would list at 1 GB). But only
memtest86 has ever given me a problem here. I have another memory test
that runs under XP, it will run all day w/o error. If I do not
overclock, Prime95 will run all day with no error.

Can I just use this stick w/o problems?

Not in the long term. It isn't easy to predict the consequences of memory
errors because the nature of the error will depend not only on the failure
itself, but the type of data stored when the failure occurs, and the usage
of that data. If that spot in memory was supposed to hold one bit in a .bmp
file, nothing's going to happen. If it's holding an address pointer, you're
screwed.

Overall, though, it's safe to say that errors *will* crop up, at least
occasionally.

steve

Old December 17th 04, 10:22 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:56:57 +0000, me at yomamas wrote:

Can I just use this stick w/o problems? I have yet to notice much
problem here, just the memtest86 error. I also have a stick of Kbyte
256MB from Staples, it runs MUCH worse with MANY more errors than this
generic stick.

Are there any other things I can try here? Any other memory tests to
cross-check this result?

Did you lower the base speed of the ram, or are you trying to run it at
200MHz? Set the base 1 speed lower than the speed of the ram, like PC3200
at 166MHz insted of 200. Might even try 133MHz if you still have problems
passing memtest. And CL to 3.

Old December 19th 04, 12:48 AM
me at yomamas

This mobo has 4 settings - 200 MHz, 266, 333, and 400. I have tried
them all. And the CAS defaults to 3. I have played with the other
values, but nothing helps.

Old December 19th 04, 07:02 AM
Wes Newell

wrote:

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:56:57 +0000, me at yomamas wrote:

Can I just use this stick w/o problems? I have yet to notice much
problem here, just the memtest86 error. I also have a stick of Kbyte
256MB from Staples, it runs MUCH worse with MANY more errors than this
generic stick.

Did you lower the base speed of the ram, or are you trying to run it at
200MHz? Set the base 1 speed lower than the speed of the ram, like PC3200
at 166MHz insted of 200. Might even try 133MHz if you still have problems
passing memtest. And CL to 3.

This mobo has 4 settings - 200 MHz, 266, 333, and 400. I have tried
them all. And the CAS defaults to 3. I have played with the other
values, but nothing helps.

Well, PC3200 ram is only rated for 200Mhz. PC4400 ram is rated for 266MHz,
and there isn't any ram rated faster than that right now that I know
of. Don't tell me MB bios writers are starting to use the bogus bus
numbers too, where 200MHz is really 100MHz, etc. If so, I'll scracth this
brand off my list of boards I'll buy, and support.

Old December 30th 04, 04:52 AM
Michael Brown

me at yomamas wrote:
[...]

If a stick of memory fails any test, then it's bad. As long as the test
keeps failing in the same place, then you can be pretty sure it's the RAM,
not the chipset or anything else, that is giving you problems. If a stick of
RAM fails at any point in a 24-hour memtest86 test, it's back to the shop it
goes in my books. Admittedly, I've only ever had two "bad" sticks (both
generics, usually 1 or two bad cells) out of at least 40 or so that I've
dealt with (mostly generics). I've found a local shop that seems quite happy
to do returns on slightly bad RAM (I've got a strong suspicion it just ends
up in their prebuilt computers or goes to people who don't worry too much
about the odd error ...) and also has one of the best prices around on RAM,
so I just return it and get one that works properly. And that's what I'd
recommend doing with the 1gb stick you have if you use your computer for
much more than gaming (where long-term stability is not greatly important
....).

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old December 30th 04, 12:03 PM
John F. Regus

Your memory is heading to the grave. I hope you did not pay over $40 or
less for the memory.

Stick with Mushkin, or Corsair. Corsair has a lifetime warranty. I just
had a 512 PC3200 4 years old go out, called them, got an RMA and sent it
back, and got another. Time from mailing to getting the new memory...10
days.

Remember the old saying...if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Old December 30th 04, 12:04 PM
John F. Regus

Stick with the Abit defaults on memory speed. You can have horrible
problems.

newsan.2004.12.19.06.04.07.674362@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old December 30th 04, 03:54 PM
me at yomamas

I'm not using the Abit. He's using the Abit. I'm using the MSI Neo-2 F
with the VIA chipset. I've decided to return the stick if I can to the
seller (ebay) and have ordered two 1gig sticks (PQI) from Newegg. Cost
a lot more, but at least I get a warranty.

wrote:

[...]

Formatting Sony memory stick?? TANKIE General 3 July 12th 04 02:00 AM
Dual channel question Augustus Overclocking AMD Processors 2 July 2nd 04 05:51 PM
Memory dilemma Tony Overclocking 27 December 21st 03 09:16 PM
Memory Question - outcome of exceeding the memory limits of a machine. John B. General 4 November 4th 03 01:25 PM
memtestX86 question i'm_tired Overclocking AMD Processors 2 July 23rd 03 02:12 PM